Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smaller speaker setup options

Default Smaller speaker setup options

Might as well get this created.....

Following on from my thread for smaller lighting setup.

Currently I'm using a pair of DXR15's for all my events, sometimes, these are just too big for the venue, or too big for the setup space.

I'm looking for options for a smaller setup.
    Need to consider that because the setup area could be small, does not mean the venue is small, so still need to be able to product enough volume.

Thought about a couple of DXR12's, very nice speaker, but a bit pricey for me at the moment.

Over to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post

Thought about a couple of DXR12's, very nice speaker, but a bit pricey for me at the moment.

Over to you guys.
    DBR 10s.

£300 cheaper. Wouldn't necessarily recommend these guys though, first Google result.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    DBR 10s.

£300 cheaper. Wouldn't necessarily recommend these guys though, first Google result.
    Blimey Pete, do you live on this forum

With these being 10's whats the bottom end like?

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

More Tay Tay than Bey.

By all accounts if its a Yamaha as good as it gets for a 10 inch speaker--but that might not be enough especially for a large venue.

Theres always a risk if you keep driving equipment to the maximum all the time--PRODUCT FAILURE

Follow Peters golden rule--USE YOUR EARS--get a demo.

Its a weird venue thats big with no set up space?
    Last edited by CRAZY K; 24-08-2016 at 04:32 PM.

I think the real space problem will be caused by the footprint of tripods holding the speakers up. One way around that is very expensive indeed: a compact system.

Think about it. Tripods take up way more floor space than the area the speakers occupy. If you've no room for 15" cabs on tripods you've certainly no room for 10".

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I think the real space problem will be caused by the footprint of tripods holding the speakers up. One way around that is very expensive indeed: a compact system.

Think about it. Tripods take up way more floor space than the area the speakers occupy. If you've no room for 15" cabs on tripods you've certainly no room for 10".
    Speaker stacks springs to mind

Nail on head there - unless you use something similar to what I used a few years ago, I think the only real way to save space is to go for a true compact system - even a normal stack - the size of a 18" or a lot of 15" subs aren't much less footprint than a tripod.

Name:  Standard Small Disco - Capable of up to 120 People.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  43.0 KB
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Just doing my job, son. Just doing my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    More Tay Tay than Bey.
    With due deference to the member for Selly Oak ( It's Birmingham. Close enough for me ) and his interesting analogy concerning the posteriors of famous ladies, I'm not sure that's the most vital criteria. First point, listen to some tens. They may surprise you. I'm using my second choice ones, and they often have enough bass response.
    Second point, there's a cheat. It's called an Alto TSSub12. It fits under a micromax. A noted forum member heard that with 210s above, and he was mildly impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Nail on head there - unless you use something similar to what I used a few years ago,
    Agreed. Funny you should post that pic, cos that's what I was going to offer as one option. I've done it myself, and it can be a lifesaver.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I think the only real way to save space is to go for a true compact system - even a normal stack - the size of a 18" or a lot of 15" subs aren't much less footprint than a tripod.
    Agreed again. I had a halfway house, W Audio Epics, ten inch subs and tops. It delivered a lot of noise for its size, especially when you fed it with a PV2600.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Not always ,think about it base plate and pole will be more than enough for a 10 inch ,been using this method for years for small gigs.