Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unusual Gig.

In all seriousness now, the tracks we used when doing a similar test / calibration for a venue:

Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire (because it gets played at a hell of a lot of functions)
    Prodigy - Firestarter (because it's a heavy dance track)
    Steely Dan - Do it again (because it's got a good dynamic range)
    Clint Eastwood & General Saint - Another one bites the dust (Just listen to it, you'll see why)

Is it too late to suggest they get an AVC type limiter? (it's what we have for the above venue)

http://stage-gear.co.uk/formula-soun...zi0hoChpHw_wcB
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    In all seriousness now,
    Seriousness? Don't recall the OP asking for that?

Grudgingly resigned mode engaged> Sigh. If we must, I'd put Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl in. One of the most constant high level bass lines there is. < Mode disengaged. Grudgingly. Harrumph.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

Are you being paid for this Shaun?
    Of course.

------------------

A little more info. The venue at this point are on their very last warning with the council - this has been an ongoing issue for quite a while now with the complainant making things very difficult for them every single weekend. So at this point they are doing everything in their power to appease the complainant and the council. the sound limiter is the last resort to save their license.

Whilst it would be good if they were to consider the needs of the entertainment, alas, I don't think they'll be inviting any input from me. If they ask though, I'll gladly add my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    . If they ask though, I'll gladly add my thoughts.
    Somehow I don't see them having to ask.

Right, I've taken the tablets: This could end up being another case where a business or venue has operated happily for many years without issue, and someone moves in, complains, and gets the place closed or restricted. It's been seen before.

Of course.

------------------

A little more info. The venue at this point are on their very last warning with the council - this has been an ongoing issue for quite a while now with the complainant making things very difficult for them every single weekend. So at this point they are doing everything in their power to appease the complainant and the council. the sound limiter is the last resort to save their license.

Whilst it would be good if they were to consider the needs of the entertainment, alas, I don't think they'll be inviting any input from me. If they ask though, I'll gladly add my thoughts.
    What they mean is, they would rather fit a limiter than do remedial work to limit noise spill properly. Because it's much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    What they mean is, they would rather fit a limiter than do remedial work to limit noise spill properly. Because it's much cheaper.
    Be fair. It could be a listed building, which would effectively rule it out. Other factors maybe need to be taken into account too, we don't know. It may even be leased, which could also rule it out, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I tend to agree this is most likely. A venue I've been to a few times has a limiter, the room is under ground level with doors going out to steps to ground level... Nowhere for the sound to easily escape except those doors aren't thick sound resistant doors they're thin wooden ones with windows. Oh and they're building more new houses around the venue as well. Nutcases!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Just took a booking from a local venue to test their newly installed sound limiter, in the presence of the council and a local neighbour who is responsible for the damn thing being installed in the first place.

Song recommendations welcome.
    Don't forget to test the mic.

I've found limiters are either very bass sensitive, otherwise, they flash like crazy the moment I talk on the mic...

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Don't forget to test the mic.

I've found limiters are either very bass sensitive, otherwise, they flash like crazy the moment I talk on the mic...
    Frivolous answer: Modern DJs don't use microphones, so that's irrelevant.

Sensible one: You're absolutely right. I've had them where you can play the music loud without any problems, but as soon as you use the mic, you're in trouble.

Well, today was the day.

The council guy asked for a song to be played as loud as possible, during which, he was on the phone to his colleague who was nearby at the complainants house. My job was to turn down the volume gradually till it couldn't be heard by the complainant outside her house. Bass bins completely off - still too loud. Bass completely down on my mixer EQ's - still too loud. Volume lowered even more. The volume was akin to background music levels.

The venue has it's hands tied, they either comply or lose their licence.