Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The last days of Dicky's Disco

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dicky View Post
    @scott23

Thanks for the info - we do know some things about applying for an NIE (this is roughly equivalent to a national insurance number over here) and also how to apply for Residencia at the required time. We know the requirements for NIE and we do meet them. I guess that is not always a guarantee though.

Actually the way things have been going I may end up living soley from my Forex trading - I have been making some very good profits with tightly controlled losses the last few months. Certainly enough to live comfortably. Once I can relax in nice surroundings and trade without distractions I suspect I can do even better. Really all I need is internet access and I can do this from anywhere in the world.

My forex broker is based in Eire and I just withdraw earnings on a Mastercard they provide which is attached to the account, and I can do that from any ATM anywhere. Because I trade CFDs I am not liable for capital gains tax here in the UK either. I haven't actually looked how that would apply in Spain but I guess it's probably the same and really I am not earning the money or 'working' in Spain, I am earning it in Eire? I am also of the understanding from expat forums that the tax situation is different in the Canary Islands than it is in mainland Spain. much like the Channel Islands are different form mainland UK.

Rich
    You should be fine to get your NIE within a week of applying as we are still in the EU. It's just the whole self employment thing over there isn't very inviting. Most expat DJs do it on the black anyways. Just if its long term then you want to be registered to get healthcare etc. If you buy a house there I'm sure you shall be fine in the long term.
    Good luck mate, its a cracking standard of life over there if you don't mind shops being shut in the middle of the day and the slow pace. Believe it or not i still miss mercadona and my 2euro wine.

Quote Originally Posted by scott23 View Post
    Good luck mate, its a cracking standard of life over there if you don't mind shops being shut in the middle of the day and the slow pace. Believe it or not i still miss mercadona and my 2euro wine.
    Should my Lottery numbers ever come up, after buying some very flash kit to finish my last bookings with, very careful consideration would be given to retiring to somewhere on the Costa Dorada. I can do slow paced.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    along with Vectis, it's where I'm originally from
    I'm not local. I just like the 80s

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    needs to polish its look a bit in the towns!
    What do you expect from a ghetto created by inbreeding?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-36987074

True though, some of the resorts suffer the same issues as many seaside towns but I'm pleased to say there's a lot of planning and redevelopment work starting to take shape ... which is why I'll be out of here shortly heading VERY north

You should be fine to get your NIE within a week of applying as we are still in the EU. It's just the whole self employment thing over there isn't very inviting. Most expat DJs do it on the black anyways. Just if its long term then you want to be registered to get healthcare etc. If you buy a house there I'm sure you shall be fine in the long term.
    Cheers Scott, yeah I know most people (islanders and otherwise) working in the tourist bars are working on The Black. And actually you can forget 2 euros wine - Gran Canaria at current prices it's just 1.45 euro for a litre and a half of delicious Don Simon Sangria mmmmmmmmm And that's from Hiperdino or some other similar 'tourist' supermarket. Not tried the big out of town ones yet.

Peter if the slow life is something that suits your mentality look into it further mate. You may be suprised how inexpensive it is to rent or buy there and to live there. That's a big part of the reason we are going to try it, the other being the weather. It is true though that while the Canary Islands are on the same time zone as us, there is a big difference between GMT and SMT (Spanish Manana Time)!!

Rich

Most expat DJs do it on the black anyways.
    So not really all that different from here then I've not met many DJs recently who openly talk about their book keeping. I know loads of people here (probably the majority) do, but that isn't most DJs is it?

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    So not really all that different from here then I've not met many DJs recently who openly talk about their book keeping. I know loads of people here (probably the majority) do,

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I've not met many DJs recently who openly talk about their book keeping.
    I keep all my books. I paid good money for them, and I've already got some fully coloured in.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 10-09-2016 at 05:43 PM.

@justin
    Have you noticed on your avatar pic you appear to have a 'Spock' ear on the right side of your head? Your right hand side that is.
    Last edited by dicky; 10-09-2016 at 03:54 PM.

@justin
    Have you noticed on your avatar pic you appear to have a 'Spock' ear on the right side of your head? Your right hand side that is.
    Oh that's a new thing. Happens when you're a resident DJ doing mostly weddings quite often I hear.

@justin
    He's descended from Davy Crockett you know. That's why he has a left ear, a right ear, and a wild front ear.