Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The last days of Dicky's Disco

Quote Originally Posted by dicky View Post
    12 months in Gran Canaria to see if the ex pat life really is 'living the dream'.
    Please do keep us updated with what the reality is like - I'd love to hear the reality of it, and I do hope it is living the dream for you.

Cheers RTH I cetainly willl

I'll post some pics soon as we get back late september if we have our new home to show you.

Hmmmm so who has previous experience of DJing in a overseas holiday resort then?

Rich

Hmmmm so who has previous experience of DJing in a overseas holiday resort then?
    Vectis? ( If that's a tad obscure Dicky, he lives on the Isle of Wight. )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Well in all honesty the Isle of Wight is positively tropical compared to Stoke-on-trent !

Still nobody spotted the direct reference on my first post to a classic Paul Weller track from his political and IMHO justifiably angry early 1980s phase? I'll give a clue - think Style Council

Get on Derek Pengelly's DJ Mentor programme: https://www.facebook.com/djmentor365/

He is based in Cyrprus so can teach you everything about doing destination weddings.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Get on Derek Pengelly's DJ Mentor programme: https://www.facebook.com/djmentor365/

He is based in Cyrprus so can teach you everything about doing destination weddings.
    Does Cuba count regular spot there for many years.

Well in all honesty the Isle of Wight is positively tropical compared to Stoke-on-trent !

Still nobody spotted the direct reference on my first post to a classic Paul Weller track from his political and IMHO justifiably angry early 1980s phase? I'll give a clue - think Style Council
    My sister lives there and says its like being stuck in the 1980's too!

I hate to sound negative, Just a wee tip* Spain is not a friendly country to the budding entrepreneur. I lived there and was self employed. There is this thing called Autonomo and Autonomo basically means you have to pay 250 euro per month to be self employed, even if you have only earned 1 euro, you still pay 250 euro. You dont pay it, they seize your bank accounts within 24 hours, you cant use any medical facilities, banks etc.

So just make sure you are earning enough to cover that and also to 20% tax on every cent. Most british companys over in Spain are registered here as Spain is notorious for bureaucracy, you shall mostly need a jestor to sort it all out for you. I would never run a business in Spain, but hey I would love to live there again.

Sorry to hear that brexit was so bad for your company, every region here is Scotland voted against leaving, but I suppose we all just gotta suck it up. I shall miss the European court on human rights. They came in handy personally.

All the very best.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    My sister lives there and says its like being stuck in the 1980's too!
    You'll have to be careful, along with Vectis, it's where I'm originally from, so you might find a few of us Islanders suddenly ganging up to defend our beautiful Isle...

But yes, it is stuck in the 1980s in parts. A shame - it has an opportunity to present itself as an upmarket retreat without faffing around with flying, and is kind of there with some amazing countryside, hotels and food, but needs to polish its look a bit in the towns!

@scott23

Thanks for the info - we do know some things about applying for an NIE (this is roughly equivalent to a national insurance number over here) and also how to apply for Residencia at the required time. We know the requirements for NIE and we do meet them. I guess that is not always a guarantee though.

Actually the way things have been going I may end up living soley from my Forex trading - I have been making some very good profits with tightly controlled losses the last few months. Certainly enough to live comfortably. Once I can relax in nice surroundings and trade without distractions I suspect I can do even better. Really all I need is internet access and I can do this from anywhere in the world.

My forex broker is based in Eire and I just withdraw earnings on a Mastercard they provide which is attached to the account, and I can do that from any ATM anywhere. Because I trade CFDs I am not liable for capital gains tax here in the UK either. I haven't actually looked how that would apply in Spain but I guess it's probably the same and really I am not earning the money or 'working' in Spain, I am earning it in Eire? I am also of the understanding from expat forums that the tax situation is different in the Canary Islands than it is in mainland Spain. much like the Channel Islands are different form mainland UK.

Rich