Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Help getting new gear working

Default Help getting new gear working

Hi everyone.
    I've not DJed in years but I've been asked by my cousin to get her karaoke system setup for her pub.

Everything is plugged in and the mixer is receiving the signal from the laptop as the Leds flash when the music is playing. But no sound is coming from the speakers. Any idea what I could have missed?

Mixer = citronic CSP-408
    Laptop using virtual dj

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blue_Dragon View Post
    Hi everyone.
    I've not DJed in years but I've been asked by my cousin to get her karaoke system setup for her pub.

Everything is plugged in and the mixer is receiving the signal from the laptop as the Leds flash when the music is playing. But no sound is coming from the speakers. Any idea what I could have missed?

Mixer = citronic CSP-408
    Laptop using virtual dj
    Pictures may be helpful in identifying the missing link in the chain. I would assume that you've looked at the 'I'm an idiot' options of the faders being up, the main output being turned appropriately etc. so how is it wired to the PA? Actives or passive?

The laptop connects to the powered mixer using the headphone socket on the laptop and the ST2 socket on the mixer. The mixer then connected to x2 peavy speakers using a SPK cable. When I used to DJ I only had very old gear and this is the 1st powered mixer I've used. On the back of the speakers does it matter which of the 2 SPK sockets I use?

Last edited by The_Blue_Dragon; 17-09-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blue_Dragon View Post
    On the back of the speakers does it matter which of the 2 SPK sockets I use?
    I'd have thought one would be for input and one for output?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Speaker sockets Benny. Both out, one left, one right. I'm wondering if it's a cable issue. If the cables are for Peavey subs to tops, they won't all be wired to the same pins each end.
    Also, does the mixer have the facility to rin unpowered? If so, there might be a switch for the amp. Clutching at straws here.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Hi, I used to have a Carlsbro powered mixer that was similar to this, could it be the master out (top right) needs to be connected to the back of the unit to facilitate powered mode?
    Mine used to have the 2 XLR out into the back of the mixer so it was in effect sending sound to itself and then would output to the speakers.
    If it doesn't appear to be that then it may have to come down to cabling or a mute button somewhere as mentioned earlier.

Manual http://cdn.avslgroup.com/manuals/100/170840.pdf

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 17-09-2016 at 09:47 PM. Reason: merged posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Sorry Benny. I misread the question. Silly me. On old passive tops, I'd say you're right. Basically, they're connected to each other, and can be used as Benny suggests to " daisy chain " cabs.

I've read the manual, and I can't see that the amp needs to be switched on or activated. My best guess is try swapping the speaker leads for other ones.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by gjthedj View Post
    Hi, I used to have a Carlsbro powered mixer that was similar to this, could it be the master out (top right) needs to be connected to the back of the unit to facilitate powered mode?
    Mine used to have the 2 XLR out into the back of the mixer so it was in effect sending sound to itself and then would output to the speakers.
    If it doesn't appear to be that then it may have to come down to cabling or a mute button somewhere as mentioned earlier.

Manual http://cdn.avslgroup.com/manuals/100/170840.pdf

Hope it helps.
    On all my powered mixers, the signal automatically sends to the amp then to the speakers. However, none of them have balanced "main out" sockets as is evident in the picture provided. So I reckon you may be right. Maybe a couple of short balanced cables are needed to go from the Main Out in to the back to the amp although there doesn't appear to be such "in" sockets at the back. Looking at the picture I can't see much else wrong. Unless there's a button like the SoundMasters and Dynacords have (a multi-depth button) that lets you select where the signal is going (amp, PFL, etc). Again, I can't see one in the picture.

I'd be checking signal in first of all by plugging in some earphones and making sure you can hear the music. If so, then the link from the laptop to the mixer is fine and the problem is between the mixer-amp-speakers. If it's an old, second hand mixer it's possible the amp has blown.
    Last edited by DazzyD; 18-09-2016 at 10:07 AM.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!