Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 inch speaker advice?

Default 8 inch speaker advice?

I am looking for an 8inch active speaker for ceremonies and background. I currently a combination of 10 inch and 12 inch battery speakers for background and my DBR12 for entrances and ceremonies as i am not impressed with the QTX sound quality. i have 3 that i like the look of which are the DXR8 and Qsc8, but at almost £500 its a lot of money to pay for such a small speaker, although they both boast 129 SPL!! The DBR10 is too bulky still so it has to be an 8 incher.

An older speaker that has caught my eye is the Titan 8 inch. You can't it in white and the SPO is 124, which is still not bad, but I doubt it can match the bass management of the DXR, as my DBR is phenomenal for the size!! But for the sake of £100 perhaps it can do the job. Get white speaker pole, white power cable and it will really fit into any wedding venue also??

Anything else out there??? Thanks you in advance.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Wharf..._qi=RTM2063723

Name:  titan_8_mkii__1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  20.2 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 18-09-2016 at 04:28 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Can't help with a recommendation, but my, that's one ugly looking so-and-so to my mind! One of the ugliest speakers I've ever seen!

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Can't help with a recommendation, but my, that's one ugly looking so-and-so to my mind! One of the ugliest speakers I've ever seen!
    Can't disagree there Angela. It certainly is.
    If a certain North West dealer is given a prod, he has another option, but I've seen and compared so many with him today that I forgot which one it was.

And if North West dealer isn't a big enough clue, it's Andy Neen, Deltic.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Out of interest Toby, do you place ceremony speakers at the back of the room (behind guests) or at the front of the room? If so, how do you get the signal to the front of the room (long cable or wireless)?

I've been looking for a similar and am planning on getting the FBT range of white speakers.

This 5" speaker will be perfect for ceremonies for me: https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FBT37905

It comes in your requested 8" too: http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?...e=manufacturer

I have a pair of 10" RCF speakers which are powerful enough for a disco, so 5" I'm sure will be fine for background/ceremony music (unless anyone thinks otherwise)?

Ah. Yet again, I got the wrong end of the stick, believing we were looking for battery powered, not mains. Oops.

However:

That makes my recommendation easier. If Yamaha DXR are too expensive, there's only one make to consider. I heard them at BPM, and they were value for money wise, the best in the show. I've heard others in the range today, and heard nothing to change that view. Having had a firkle about with them, they're well designed, and amazingly well featured.

Head above the parapet time, what's the badge? No need for a sofa, it's IMG.

On speakers I haven't personally heard, Proel have a few ranges, including the V range, which I do have 15" boxes in. LD also, except they tend not to be too cheap.

Hope this helps.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Well, I'll have to throw my hat into the ring and go with the DXR8's.

Bass isn't chest-thumping club stylee....but then you don't need that for ceremonies and you're never going to get any meaningful bass from an 8" driver in reality unless it's sitting on a wooden floor.

Yes, they're expensive....but they're worth each and every single penny IMHO (and they're a LOT prettier than the picture you posted in the OP!). Provided I'm not working when Coalville comes around, I'll bring my DXR8's (and more importantly for Peter, my bandpass DSR12's) so you can have a listen. They work for me

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Well, I'll have to throw my hat into the ring and go with the DXR8's.

Bass isn't chest-thumping club stylee....but then you don't need that for ceremonies and you're never going to get any meaningful bass from an 8" driver in reality unless it's sitting on a wooden floor.

Yes, they're expensive....but they're worth each and every single penny IMHO (and they're a LOT prettier than the picture you posted in the OP!). Provided I'm not working when Coalville comes around, I'll bring my DXR8's (and more importantly for Peter, my bandpass DSR12's) so you can have a listen. They work for me
    I thought the DXR8 were a bit heavy, same with the Qsc's. Granted thats the point as they are built of solid materials, but I would probably be better off with a 10 inch DBR as its about the same weight. If only they did an 8 inch DBR.

I don't think the warphdales look that bad really, but judging by you lot they are well ugly. I would like to put a DXR and that (in white) side by side and see what a bride says. The other option perhaps is a compact line array, but is getting it above peoples heads something I need to consider, especially with a tight table plan on a one story room (i.e. no balconies etc). do people find that if you have it right next to a table that it would drown out conversation or does it actually disperse the sound equally around the room?

Name:  LDMAUI5W_2.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  9.1 KB

Do you particularly want a standard speaker on a stand? I mentioned on another thread that we have a white Maui 11 for ceremonies - much tidier than a speaker on a tripod, IMO, plus better dispersal of sound, and more options than most speakers as you can get the 'mix' versions (built in mixer and bluetooth capabilities), which makes it more versatile for different situations. It's a lot more expensive than what you've linked to in the OP I'll grant you, but I've seen quite a few up for sale 2nd hand, and that, of course, brings the price down quite a bit.
    Name:  LDMAUI11MIXW_1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  9.8 KB.

Of course, new, cheaper than the 11, there is now also the smaller Maui5 that have also been mentioned on another thread, which I have no doubt would be more than suitable for purpose too.
    Name:  LDMAUI5W_1.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  8.8 KB

HA! ......and you posted, Toby, as I was writing my last post!

Yes, they do disperse well, but you can stand in front of one in full disco mode (speaking about the Maui28s here) and still hold a conversation (Somehow! It's weird!), so should be fine in background mode.

EDIT: Although I will add that we haven't used our Maui 11 for background right on top of anyone's table.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    HA! ......and you posted, Toby, as I was writing my last post!

Yes, they do disperse well, but you can stand in front of one in full disco mode (speaking about the Maui28s here) and still hold a conversation (Somehow! It's weird!), so should be fine in background mode.

EDIT: Although I will add that we haven't used our Maui 11 for background right on top of anyone's table.
    Its also the transport of all the bits on the line arrays, but I suppose its no different to carry about a speaker pole?
    I have been recommended this speaker, which would match my RCF tops also.
    Its not DXR performance, but you have the RCF quality. 124 max SPL. £300, which is £200 less than Qsc and DXR.
    3KG lighter though at 10kg.

Name:  xl_117912-tmpB66C.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  40.5 KB

Not as many useful buttons on the back though!!

Name:  11293382_800.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  99.1 KB