Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Very quick, simple midi controller question

Default Very quick, simple midi controller question

Ok, a little bit of background. I'm after a simple, cheap and effective midi controller to use with one of my systems and VDJ8. I was using the DJ2Go until the USB socket came away from the board!

So, I've been looking around this morning and I can get the Numark Mixtrack Pro II locally for under £150.

So, the simple question is Yey or Nay?
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Ok, a little bit of background. I'm after a simple, cheap and effective midi controller to use with one of my systems and VDJ8. I was using the DJ2Go until the USB socket came away from the board!

So, I've been looking around this morning and I can get the Numark Mixtrack Pro II locally for under £150.

That's what I started back up with a few years ago.

They do their job, but they're more like a child's toy as far as build quality goes. There's also no EQ on the mic channel

Other than that, it does what it says on the tin and mine lasted for around a year before something went wrong on it and I went to the VMS4.1

So to answer your question, if you're after something really simple and not too sturdy then Yay.

Just for fun they are ok, but to be honest not built for gigging week in week out.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

In terms of build quality, didn't Ellaskins rag one of those to show it'd keep on working even after beating beaten?

You could get an American Audio VMS2 cased for £125. If I can find them, there are a couple of DJ2GO available for very little money, ie postage.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I'd avoid anything with a master volume control in the middle between 2 deck faders. It's an awful idea putting it there. My second hand MC2000 is still going strong. Useless mic stage (no on/off controls, no EQ) but a great controller. USB powered & has a very strong headphone output too.

I don't know if this is over your budget but if you want quality gear maybe look at some Pioneer stuff......

http://www.bopdj.com/pioneer-ddj-sb2...eCDBoC_KHw_wcB

You get £20 off your first order so maybe a good deal for you

I was fiddling about trying to get one of these mini controllers with a second mac for back up. I then realised that a second VCI was only £100 so got that and a second macbook that stays in the car. iPad for the interim.

I have one of these if your interested?? Its really solid, compared to the other nasty little plastic things you can get.

Name:  MixtrackEdge_angle_weblg.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  48.3 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Thanks for your replies, folks. I did, however, just want opinions on the model I'd mentioned and I wasn't really looking for alternative suggestions at that point in time (although I did end up going for an alternative unit after all!).

Anyway, I've caught up with this thread now so I'll answer some points.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    You could get an American Audio VMS2 cased for £125. If I can find them, there are a couple of DJ2GO available for very little money, ie postage.
    I've had 2 DJ2Gos now and they've both suffered from the USB port coming off the board. I like them for their simplicity, and the fact they take up next to no space at all, and I've promoted them on here many times before but I was wanting something a bit better this time. And I was after it quick which was why I mentioned local in my OP. But thanks for the offer anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I'd avoid anything with a master volume control in the middle between 2 deck faders. It's an awful idea putting it there. My second hand MC2000 is still going strong. Useless mic stage (no on/off controls, no EQ) but a great controller. USB powered & has a very strong headphone output too.
    The option I went for doesn't have the master volume between the deck faders. The faders are below the control knobs and all the controls seem grouped together logically.

Microphone channel quality isn't an issue as it will be plugged in to my main mixer which has 10 balanced microphone inputs. I also do karaoke and other corporate events where I need several microphone solutions so my main mixer is going nowhere yet! My mixer also has onboard digital fx which the controller can't replicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    I don't know if this is over your budget but if you want quality gear maybe look at some Pioneer stuff......

http://www.bopdj.com/pioneer-ddj-sb2...eCDBoC_KHw_wcB

You get £20 off your first order so maybe a good deal for you
    Funnily enough, Tone, the controller I plumped for looks remarkably similar in layout to that one! Maybe they all look the same - I'm not a controller expert and haven't seem many up close!

Anyway, the one I finally went for was the Numark MixTrack Pro 3 as it had £30 off making it just a little bit more expensive than the II. I've had a bit play aound with it and it's doing the job I wanted it for. The buttons and controls are very responsive. One of my issues is that I have rheumatoid arthritis and sometimes find controls difficult to get to grips with but the Pro 3 has large buttons and easi-grip knobs which will make my life much easier. I'm giving it some daily practice and it's first run out will be in 2 weeks so I've time to get used to it. Thankfully!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!