Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: 118 Directory

Default 118 Directory

Now I usually don't get sucked into things like this. The phone rings, I say "are you trying to sell me something" followed by "not interested, save your breath", but yesterday I listened.

It was a lasy from something I think called 118 directory, maybe this rings a bell?

She says they have a web site and although I can't rember the hit rate seemed good. She also wanted to perswade me to advertise in there directory - but is did seem a little different. She suggested that they had trialed one area and now were expanding to other areas - a local directory (much like YP and the like), but targetted at high earners, big business etc. Sounded as if it would be a bit like the next directory sort of quality - A5, but with full page full colour adds per company. Only 3 maximum in each sector and all copies ained at higher earners. Now I know you can't guarantee business, but she suggested that it was aimed at the types of people who wouldn't be arguing over price. The samples I have seen so far were companies like Black & Decker, a drive company and so on...

It isn't cheap, but "I can do you a deal", suggesting I could have my advert for £1000 and not the £10000 they have charged the other guys - was told I would be the only disco in it too.

OK, without going on for ever, anyone know anything about this and is it any good? Sounds good, but she was very nice to me on the phone, so not sure all is quite what is seems.

Also not sure I have that sort of money to splash about (unless it is going to pay back!), but if anyone know it, might be worth a "yes please but I only have £x to spend!

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

Not sure if its the same company but i was almost stung by 118trades.com / Verification Association.

Basically, they agreed one thing on the phone and then went back on their word when they sent the paperwork. Couldn't resolve it on the phone as they kept trying to make me deals which i wouldn't agree to due to their past promises. I ended up sending a letter threatening legal action and that seemed to stop them calling.

Actually, i've just checked and i'm still listed on their website, however it was probably almost a year ago when they rang and in all that time i've not have one person come through to my website from them.
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

I have a firm rule that I won't purchase anything from "cold callers". If there's a service I want I'll do the research and contact them. So far it's worked well for me and I've never been 'burned'.

Default Don't Do It!

Matt, Matt, Matt,

Don't you recognise a sales pitch when you hear one?

That has to be the biggest pile of .......................... (insert the missing word from album title " Nevermind the..................... Here's the Sex Pistols") I've heard!

Why would they do something for £1000 when it's normally £10000?

I'll guarantee when it comes out it you won't be th only disco in there either.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Matt, Matt, Matt,

Don't you recognise a sales pitch when you hear one?

That has to be the biggest pile of .......................... (insert the missing word from album title " Nevermind the..................... Here's the Sex Pistols") I've heard!

Why would they do something for £1000 when it's normally £10000?

I'll guarantee when it comes out it you won't be th only disco in there either.
    Which is why I haven't done anything yet!

She actually called again today, I said, sorry luv, can't justify £1000, and she said "I thought you'd say that, so for you I can do it for £500".

I might wait for the call tomorrow and maybe when it gets down to £50 I'll have a go!

i had same sort of sales pitch from a local championship football club

would you like to advertise on our website it was 30k but we need to get sorted with x amount of site sponsors they called them ,before the weekend so we can offer it to you at 5k.

no thanks i dont think it will help my business not many people key in ****** ***** football club when they are looking for a disco and besides my website has a good google placing on its own.

ok we can offer it to you at 1500 quid ...we really do need to get it sorted quick.

.................................................. .........................

the other one said they could gaurantee 4 300 pound discos a week for me . i said great ill give you my address you put that in writing with a money back gaurantee and ill sign up.

then they started to erm .....depending on my mood it can be quite good fun to waste 10 mins of their time while they waste yours.

no thanks still dont think people will key in ***** ***** football club when they want a disco.

well do you not think that the association with the club alone will give you lots of business?

erm not unless you change the name to manchester united no thanks and you have done yourself a great disservice by dropping the price by 28.5k in 15 minutes which makes me question how good the product actually is? bye.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 14-11-2006 at 06:15 PM.
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

Have stitched 118gethitched.com up and refuse to pay them for the rest of the amount as they have lied and breached theyre part of the deal they quoted in advertising my company even debt collecting company will not collect for them as they stitched him up as well LOL talk about flagranr breaches of sales pitch just to get you on board etc etc