Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Replacing Big Ol' Halogen

Default Replacing Big Ol' Halogen

Good day, good sirs,

As part of the kit i bought to get me back in the game, i got a pair of NJD Quartet 300s and the lighting controller to go with them. For reasons mainly of weight saving and ease, what kind of wash effect lighting could i replace them with? They are extremely bright, i normally have them dimmed to around 35% otherwise theres just no point in using any other lighting effects! Im not looking for something necessarily as bright but just something with a comparable coverage. If that makes sense. And LED. And also, what are a pair of these worth? (If im allowed to ask that question.)

Thanks

Loads of the 4 LED PAR systems are definitely bright enough to use on their own. I've got one of these: https://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville...e_complete.htm

and one of these:

http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/lighting-...bar-system.htm

Both can light up even the biggest rooms with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Loads of the 4 LED PAR systems are definitely bright enough to use on their own. I've got one of these: https://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville...e_complete.htm

and one of these:

http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/lighting-...bar-system.htm

Both can light up even the biggest rooms with ease.
    Thanks Juski, i was thinking of just replacing the lights themselves though. Basically i have a tbar, Quartets on either end and a pair of lasers in the middle (which also need replacing, non-dmx things and both green so its a bit much!) And i was thinking of just replacing the lights themselves as i eventually want to go to a deck stand with an overhead truss. Otherwise, ive seen you recommend the Chauvet gigbar, and id go for that!

Erm... I'm not sure I've ever recommended the GIG BAR. Gig A Bar maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Erm... I'm not sure I've ever recommended the GIG BAR. Gig A Bar maybe.
    Have you not? Thought id seen it, my mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercat View Post
    Trouble is I've never seen a gigbar in a proper context. I've only ever seen one in a brightly lit shop or demo place like BPM. Underwhelming every time, and the videos I've seen of other DJs using them they just look batty crazy doing their own thing. Very flashy & random

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercat View Post
    Justin is referring to the product which is known as the GigaBar.

As for individual wash effects, these are bright enough:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville...+PAR_307515_40
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

chauvet wash fx

You're spoilt for choice. Second hand ADJ tripars, are superb, the new ones aren't much dearer, but be careful not to get some of each, as they won't play well together. Anything with a Tri LED, Quad LED, or COB will be just fine.

Any of the Powerbar/Gigabar units with the above light sources will do what you want, and you can mount them on the supplied tripod, or hang them from an overhead. Bonus is they'll already have pre programmed sequences built in.

Gig bars are the closest thing to a complete lighting rig in one unit. ( Unless you count the Powerbar, and I as well as many others are happy to go out with only this. ) They're ugly as sin until the house lights go off, but work very well for what they do. Best suited to pubs/ teen parties, as they're compact and quick to rig.

Left field considerations are Chauvet Swarm Wash, which have wash LEDs, laser, strobe and derby included.

A big word of caution: Currently manufacturers are running out of names, and confusing the out of everyone.
    A Chauvet Swarm 5 is not the same as a Chauvet Swarm wash, or a Chauvet Wash FX.

A Gigabar is an insanely bright powerbar, whereas a Gigbar is two wash lights, two derbys and a laser.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I use a couple of Kam powercan 60w fixtures, nice and bright RGBAW+UV I've had them for maybe a year now and still going strong. Absolutely love the UV effect, wouldn't go back to a fixture without it now!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD