Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Denon Axis Speaker Range

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    Gear4Music appear to be selling the Maui 11 for £480 each but I'm not sure if that includes the bags or not.

I'm not sure what benefit louder ones would give. A richer sound maybe? I just assumed there must be some reason why people would spend more money on higher powered subs but I admit I haven't heard enough to answer that question.

Are you able to enlighten me regarding the phone conversation?
    If the Denon speakers sound as much like the Mackie DLM12s as they look, they're a bag o'

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The Corabars sing the praises of the Maui 28, but that's more expensive still, as is the Curv. Pe7e I think bought an 11, I'd be keen to know how he'd compare that to one side of the Denon.

EDIT: Pe7e bought a 28. Still be keen to hear how it matches up against Denon.
    Slight correction, I was looking at the Maui 5, Maui 11, Maui 28 and the Curve for the same type of scenario that I've just bought the 2 Denon PA's for i.e. big sound when needed, small footprint, easy to transport and carry, and able to easily fit into a average car with room to spare. I passed on the Maui 5s after watching the Phase One video after questions were raised on the output, I rejected the Curve on it's limited output and the fact I judged as being easily broken and a bit fragile for my purpose (people don't always take care with your equipment), and the 11's were too long to fit across the back seat of a car, I eventually PM'd Steve for his opinion, he owns Maui 28s but suggested a Maui 28 Mix would be the best choice. I followed his advice and bought one, it's a great bit of kit, I love it, but I had a fair few customers rejecting it in favour of two cabs on tripods, they couldn't seem to get their heads round a single colombe on a sub even if it did contain 16 speakers + 2 x 10" subs and 3 amps. The ones that did take my advice loved the Maui 28 Mix and were amazed at the sound it was capable of, but I needed to find something else for the others, which I have now found with the Denon PA.

On to the comparison of the two, if I was recommending kit for a smart cocktail party were music was required, but not so loud the guests couldn't talk to each other without shouting or sign language I would unreservedly go for the Maui 28 Mix, it would be ideal, the sound is more refined and the wide even distribution of it is almost magical.
    If the event was for a lively bunch who wanted get down and boogie to a nice clear sound with a decent bass beat it would have to be the Denon PA by a country mile.
    Comparing one side of the Denon with the Maui 28 Mix, the sound output of the Denon wins hands down, the sub is far more powerful. Where the Maui comes into its own, is in its subtle musical refinement and distribution, for this it's very very good. To summarise, if it's a meeting /talking disco it's the Maui 28 that wins, if it's a dancing disco it's the Denons that wins hands down.

Casual77 At this point I'm definitely swaying towards giving them a go. I just need to decide whether the extra 2 years warranty is worth paying an additional £90 for. Did you take up this option?

No, as I said earlier my requirements are different to most mobile DJs and if the Denons proved to have inherent problems (the guarantee gives me a 12 month window to decide on this) they would be moved on before the guarantee ran out. Unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball so can only make the initial buy decision based on experience and judgement, I've got it wrong in the past and will make mistakes again in the future no doubt, but I don't make many, and consider my judgement to be sound. Sometimes to win you need to take the odd calculated risk. If after examining and trying the speakers out, I thought they were a risky buy, I wouldn't have bought a second set this afternoon. Regarding your guarantee question, I use to buy a lot of stuff from Thomann because of the free 3 year guarantee whether I would have paid for a guarantee on top of the price is a different matter, I don't think I would have, I can put up with the bit of risk that others worry about. As I said previously, the biggest potential problem I can see is the huge power the amps seem capable of producing, but if it's your hands on the throttle it shouldn't present a issue, and maybe the built in protection circuits will prove to be better than I'm giving them credit for.
    Last edited by Pe7e; 12-10-2016 at 11:14 PM.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Thanks again Pe7e. Like you, I think I'm prepared to take a calculated risk and my gut feeling is that this is probably one worth taking. If it turns out to be the wrong decision then £900 spread over 10 months interest-free less whatever I could recoup for them on eBay wouldn't be a devastating blow. If I manage to get a few years use out of them and nothing more than that then I will feel as though they don't really owe me anything.

As much as I value and respect the opinions of all contributors to this thread I have to place greatest store in the opinion of the person who has just bought two sets and sound tested them himself today.

All that said.... I'm still not 100% convinced I will make the purchase tomorrow.

Ps. Peter if there is something definite you know that should deter me from making a purchase please could you drop me a private message. Thanks

Thanks again Pe7e. Like you, I think I'm prepared to take a calculated risk and my gut feeling is that this is probably one worth taking.
    No problem. If they're still working in February, bring 'em to Coalville. ( Wayne, it's the 19th, don't know if I mentioned that. ) We'll run 'em up against Wayne's Yamahas, and my Maui 5. There'll likely be a C-Ray there as well, hopefully.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

No problem. If they're still working in February, bring 'em to Coalville. ( Wayne, it's the 19th, don't know if I mentioned that. ) We'll run 'em up against Wayne's Yamahas, and my Maui 5. There'll likely be a C-Ray there as well, hopefully.
    I've booked it as a day off...you'll get to play with my Yammy's Peter

I've not done Coalville yet but I certainly plan to next year and if I get the Denons I will certainly bring them along. Please could you let me know the date and I'll make sure I keep the day free. I'd be keen to check out the DXR8s myself.

I've not done Coalville yet but I certainly plan to next year and if I get the Denons I will certainly bring them along. Please could you let me know the date and I'll make sure I keep the day free. I'd be keen to check out the DXR8s myself.
    19th February 2017

I've not done Coalville yet but I certainly plan to next year and if I get the Denons I will certainly bring them along. Please could you let me know the date and I'll make sure I keep the day free.
    Ahem. Two posts ago.

bring 'em to Coalville. ( Wayne, it's the 19th, don't know if I mentioned that. ) .
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I've booked it as a day off...you'll get to play with my Yammy's Peter
    Two edged sword. Nice to hear them, but be prepared for floods of tears when I realise I can't afford to buy a similar rig.

Would have loved to hear the DXR8 over the Alto 12 subs. Now that would have been educational.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Ahem. Two posts ago.

Oh yes.... might help if I had read the post more carefully.

Two edged sword. Nice to hear them, but be prepared for floods of tears when I realise I can't afford to buy a similar rig.

Would have loved to hear the DXR8 over the Alto 12 subs. Now that would have been educational.

I might have a pair available for sale if you are really keen to give that a go.

A DBR8 for around £300 would be ideal. Do you think if we begged Yamaha they would consider bringing one out?
    Computer said NO.

Dear Mr Oakley,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the DXR and DBR series speakers; we are glad to hear that you are a fan of these lines.

Following the successful launch of the DXR, we were able to study our results quite closely and build a business plan for the more affordable DBR series. These‎ were only ever made economically possible to us due to the success of DXR range, but sadly based on customer demand and cost of manufacture it was not a viable option to produce an 8inch model in the DBR range.

I'm very sorry for this but hope you can understand our reasons.

I hope this helps and thank you for contacting Yamaha Music Europe GmbH (UK).

Kind Regards,

Alison Osborn

Best Regards

Your Yamaha Customer Service Team

( helpLine Connectivity )
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/