Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon Axis Speaker Range

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    I think that is where I'd like to get to eventually but I'll probably have to work my way up to it because I can't justify £900+ at the moment for a pair of DXR8s. With this Denon deal I would be able to sell on my pair of Alto subs and put the money towards which would make the £850 do-able.
    I'm not sure of the benefit of keep trading up one small step at a time.

I bite the bullet early on and bought the RCF Evox 8 at the very beginning, and it's the one bit of kit I bought that I've never felt the need to look at replacing.

Long term, it's going to save me a lot of money, compared to if I'd bought budget speakers at the beginning and then kept slowly upgrading them a small step at a time.

Plus that are the ultimate in portability!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I'm not sure of the benefit of keep trading up one small step at a time.

I bite the bullet early on and bought the RCF Evox 8 at the very beginning, and it's the one bit of kit I bought that I've never felt the need to look at replacing.

Long term, it's going to save me a lot of money, compared to if I'd bought budget speakers at the beginning and then kept slowly upgrading them a small step at a time.

Plus that are the ultimate in portability!

Yeah, I hear what you are saying and I don't disagree in principle. I just have to be careful though because this is still largely just a part-time hobby job for me so I can't over-commit financially.

The appeal of this Denon set-up really comes down to the fact that it isn't a budget set-up. If I bought this set-up from Thomann or most other retailers that sell them it would set me back more than a pair of Evox 8s but under this deal I get tops and subs for less than the price of a single second-hand Evox 8 with no warranty.

I've had a good look around and all the reviews I can find for the Denon Axis speakers are largely favourable which suggests that it is probably half decent. I'm still 50/50 at the moment but if Pe7e comes back with a favourable report I might be seriously tempted to give it a go.

I am surprised you cant find any reviews,i know that Pro Mobile had a full review in issue 76 and there are quite a few on the internet.

. It looks like they only came out last year so I'm assuming it's too early for them to be discontinued
    In my initial searches someone suggested exactly that they may be. Many folk pointed out the similarities with the Mackie cabs we saw at Coalville.

The ones that spontaneously self destructed.

Thus, they won't be on my shopping list.

I guess they're not aimed at the same work as the little Maui 5 cabs, so I'm struggling to come up with anything else offering similar performance on paper at a similar price. Knowing the subs you have, I'd be inclined to go either for Yamaha DXR 8, or DBR 10 above them. Sadly, not the cheapest option.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The ones that spontaneously self destructed.
    I must have missed that one Peter. Can you fill me in?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Knowing the subs you have...
    Based on technical specs alone wouldn't you expect the Denon subwoofers to blow my Alto Tsub12s out of the water?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 12-10-2016 at 07:32 PM. Reason: merged posts

I must have missed that one Peter. Can you fill me in?
    They plugged em in & one just blew up straight off the bat. The remaining one sounded ok for a cubic box but only just.

Fwiw I saw the whybuynew deal on these speakers too. Then I looked closely & saw they were the denons. Pro tip: if something looks too good to be true it probably is.

I wouldn't waste my money on these.

Consider this: they're so cheap because they're discontinued. So what if they need any warranty work done on them? Not that they come with a very long warranty mind.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 12-10-2016 at 07:33 PM. Reason: merged posts

8" tops for my Yamaha DBR12s. I've used the DBR12s
    i always think if its too cheap then there must be something wrong with it. Denon do not have a pedigree in sound, but as someone else said they surely would not risk selling crap on their first venture? Perhaps they have changed their mind and given up, so these need to be sold fast?? I am not a fan of the large square tops either, when every other speaker is going slim now. Looks like something from the 90's.

Having said that would 10 inch DBR's be an option? I have bought an 8 inch 124spl 'PRO' speaker from Thomann (£160), and although I have not fully tested it, using it at events alongside my other speakers, I don't think its loud enough even for ceremonies, compared to my 12 DBR (I may be wrong). I will find out on Sat as I am setting up in a large room early. The previous times the wedding breakfast as in the other room, so I could not open it up.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Pro tip: if something looks too good to be true it probably is.
    Totally. But if they are as cheap as a crap makes speakers I can bet they are better.
    My guess is it has not sold so the retailers are just trying to shift them at almost cost to get rid of them asap.
    A few people have said that they are probably Mackie DLM's in disguise, but thats hearsay. They did it with Tapco.
    Last edited by yourdj; 12-10-2016 at 10:45 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

They might very well be Tapco made but isn't Tapco owned by the same parent company as Mackie?

Laws of physics dictate their specs are lying as per usual. Trust only your ears & an SPL meter.

At BPM I took in a couple of big rig demos. Even they peaked at 'only' 122dB

I'm still a bit torn on this at the moment. I realise that Denon don't have any pedigree within the PA speaker market but I've owned plenty of their products over the years from hi-fi separates to CDJs to midi controllers and they have always struck me as being a brand synonymous with good build quality and reliability.

I spoke with the head guy at Why Buy New yesterday and he said that sales of the range had not gone well, largely due to a lack of marketing, and that Denon had decided to discontinue the product to focus on their core product ranges. Looking at the RRPs it is hardly surprising that sales weren't great because anyone looking to spend upwards of £500 on a speaker or subwoofer would naturally gravitate towards the more well known PA brands with longstanding reputations. Why Buy New/Get in the Mix decided to buy up all the remaining UK stock and got a good deal on the job lot enabling them to sell them on at attractive knock-down prices. I asked him what he thought about the quality and he said that they were very good and that you wouldn't be able to get a PA system of comparable quality without spending double the money (but then I suppose he would say that).

My current position is that I have a pair of DBR12s which I am more than happy with and a pair of back up Proel Flash 12" actives which are really decent speakers but not as good as the Yamahas so they don't ever get used. It seems a shame to have such a good pair of speakers gathering dust at home and I really fancy the idea of a smaller more compact set-up that will fit in the boot of my car without feeling that I'm giving my clients a sub-standard sound experience. I've thought about line array systems but I'm not sure which if any within my budget would offer the sound quality and volume I'd want so I was thinking that 8" tops and 12" subs would probably be a better option for me. That would hopefully give me a back up system that would get used on occasion.

Justin - I get your point about there only being a 12 month warranty but that doesn't cause me major concern. I tend to buy a lot of my equipment second hand so I'm used to having no warranty at all. And, again I do place a certain amount of trust in the Denon brand based on my previous experience of it. As for being wary about the offer being too good to be true... well I would generally agree but in this case the story stacks up. WBN bought in bulk and so are able to sell at a heavily reduced price to compensate for the fact that people will be deterred by a discontinued product and they are still selling at full price at other reputable retailers. The question I ask myself is, could I buy anything new with warranty for comparable money that would perform as well or better, and I honestly don't think I could. Don't get me wrong, given the choice I would go for the Yamaha DXR8s and DXS12s every time but I just don't have the extra £1,200 on top of the £850 that they would cost me.

Toby - I suspect that the DBR10s would do the job nicely paired with some 12" subs and would be considerably cheaper than the DXR8s. My issue is that they wouldn't be all that much smaller than the DBR12s and therefore not much more portable and probably still wouldn't give me the 'boot of my car' set up that I'm looking for. I think if I got the DBR10s I would still end up taking the DBR12s

Pe7e strikes me as someone who has a good knowledge of speakers and their capabilities given that he runs a dry hire company and owns numerous different brands of speaker. I will wait for his report and factor that into any decision I make. In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions of anything else in the same financial ballpark that I should consider as an alternative I'd be very interested to hear them.

Toby - I suspect that the DBR10s would do the job nicely paired with some 12" subs and would be considerably cheaper than the DXR8s. My issue is that they wouldn't be all that much smaller than the DBR12s and therefore not much more portable and probably still wouldn't give me the 'boot of my car' set up that I'm looking for. I think if I got the DBR10s I would still end up taking the DBR12s
    That was my problem as I considered them, but they are not much smaller, but noticeably lighter. Why they did not do an 8 I don't know as it would be perfect for lots of other non DJ applications, such as a fitness instructor. DXR is such a jump in price, but I will consider one if my other 8 is not up to it. RCF 8 inch, or are they too expensive?? Great specs and a reputable brand. That would be my first choice for cost and looks.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rcf_art_708_a_mk_ii.htm

Name:  11293392_800.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  54.5 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/