Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virtual DJ VDJ newbie

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I'm intrigued. What's VDJ do for mixing that mixxx doesn't do apart from automix? I'm always fully manual bar a cig break at buffet time or loo break.
    I liked using transition fx and, at that time, this was something Mixxx didn't have (it might have changed since then, I don't know. I've never tried it again).

It also had no video capabilities at all so video and karaoke were non-starters. At that time, most of my work was karaoke disco so I needed the karaoke facilities which is why I chose Swift Elite 4 for a while. That was a perfect piece of software to me! There was only VDJ that could have gotten me away from it!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I like Virtual DJ.

However, I find a lot of these DJ programs cluttered.
    So I had a go at writing my own.
    It has list to get items from and another list which is the playlist.
    It has a volume control and a pause/unpause button
    It displays time to end of track and has a progress bar across the bottom of the window.
    I have to specifiy the basic directory but the software recursively burrows down the directory structure to pick out all the tracks from subdirectories.
    I made it easier to be used on a laptop using minimal mouse control.
    Most functions can be done from the keyboard.

Thumbs up

Decisions decisions, i do get on with the VDJ and it does what i want but i feel like i want to play with more. I am going to try to find a downloadable trial version of the Mixx and see if i like this and get back to you all soon.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidDJ View Post
    Decisions decisions, i do get on with the VDJ and it does what i want but i feel like i want to play with more. I am going to try to find a downloadable trial version of the Mixx and see if i like this and get back to you all soon.

Thanks guys
    Just go to http://www.mixxx.org/ It's free, you don't need a trial, just dowload it. It's not got any malware and it's been developed by people who care about what they do. Anyone can contribute and help (if you're technically knowledgeable).

Question

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Just go to http://www.mixxx.org/ It's free, you don't need a trial, just download it. It's not got any malware and it's been developed by people who care about what they do. Anyone can contribute and help (if you're technically knowledgeable).
    Thanks for the link!!!! much appreciated

The new version of Mixx 2.0 is awesome has everything i need and more, going to take a while to fully understand it but i am liking it so far, maybe it would be easier to use on a pc tablet with the touch screen????
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 27-10-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidDJ View Post
    Hello DJ's

I'm not ganna lie i am a raw newbie when it comes to mixing music i downloaded the free trial of Virtual DJ and so far i'm getting on with it, could be a lot better but hey i'm just starting out. In some of the local bars in my area i have done some DJ nights and they turned out really well, plus that feeling you get when everyone is dancing away is better than any drug!! haha. I have been looking for professional DJ software for sale online And have come across loads but i'm not sure which on i should get, this is where you guys will hopefully come in and help a man out. When you was in my shoes what systems did you use when you first started off?? Hopefully in a couple of years i have a nice little set up with some decks and a few screens but for now i just want to stick to the basics and work my way up. Below there are the ones i found online that are apparently the best out there but i will let you guys decide that.

Magix Digital DJ. PC/Mac, £29.99/$49.99. ...
    PCDJ Dex. PC/Mac, $179. ...
    algoriddim djay Pro. Mac, £39.99/$49.99. ...
    Mixvibes Cross. PC/Mac, £99/$129. ...
    Atomix VirtualDJ Pro. PC/Mac, $299. ...
    Mixxx. PC/Mac/Linux, free. ...
    Gibson Deckadance. PC/Mac, from €57.27. ...
    Serato DJ. PC/Mac, $129

Attachment 18078

And advice/information would be greatly appreciated!! looking forward to chatting to everyone.

Thanks
    Just as an add up i have downloaded and using or should i say playing with "Mixx" now and it's great, i have ordered a decent PC Tablet to use with the Mixx software to see if it works for me better if not i will get back to you in the next couple days, the PC tablet should arrive tomorrow. It is a Surface pro 4 so top of the range lets see what it can do.

Thanks guys

I have always used Serato. I use Itch still, but all the platforms are good.

Apart from that I have Djay on my Mac - its a great simple standalone player. Never used it mind you, would make solid backup though. I also have Djay on iPad - I have used this several times when my laptop has failed, worked a treat, but not good for all the time. A proper controller and program would be the best bet, but many many people seem to use VDJ with just the laptop. Its a bit cluttered for my liking, but they have improved it a lot in the last few years.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

When I first went digital back in 2001 I used alcatech bpm studio and it's still the most user friendly software I've had, however since coming back from retirement this year I've been using virtual dj. I prefer BPM if I'm honest but I need support for karaoke / videos which I didn't get with BPM

Quote Originally Posted by soundscapes View Post
    When I first went digital back in 2001 I used alcatech bpm studio and it's still the most user friendly software I've had, however since coming back from retirement this year I've been using virtual dj. I prefer BPM if I'm honest but I need support for karaoke / videos which I didn't get with BPM
    BPM was a great program but when I upgraded to Win7 I could never get it to install properly. It never saved the library or playlists and I had to import everything again every time I loaded it. BPM was ideal for less experienced DJs as it had a pretty good, yet simple to use, automix feature, the likes I've not seen in any other software. In fact, for me, the only other really good automix facility was in Swift Elite 4. And an app I use (can't remember which one - might be N7 or something along those lines).
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Used to use pcdj red years ago, but converted to vdj a few years ago and have a sub licence for it now, thinking I might like to give traktor a go now though to save a few bucks and as I actually beat mix quite a bit the features might benefit me too. Might see if I can get a trial to work with my Hercules console before I decide to invest in a traktor console and licence combo.

Carl