Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Van sign writing security

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    A car flashed its headlights behind me and I pulled over, thinking it was the police but when I saw 2 guys approaching either side of the van I had a thought that I may be a victim.
    Jacking a fully loaded DJ van is dead easy for the right people and an instant £5-10,000!

Only the one usually gets out (never seen two people as you may drive off - I guess its protocol unless your a threat), so you probably made a very savvy move there. I know its paranoia, but you always have to be on guard as you never know, especially when driving nice cars. We almost got mugged on a night out in Southampton. The guy was pretending to be polish and live in Blackfield. What he did not bank on was that i lived up the road from Blackfield and speak Polish. Total diffusion to put you off your game, I knew what he was doing and he knew it so went, probably back to his gang in waiting (he was clearly the little runt). Scary though, when you are all alone with your wife!
    Last edited by yourdj; 18-10-2016 at 09:17 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I've had my van sign written now from the day I got it about 4years ago now and ironically it was broken into for the first and only time just last week!

The back was empty and all they got from the cab was a satnav & dashcam. It was parked directly outside the house where it's always parked. It seems that the reason it was done was that they could get in on the blindside as on the opposite side of the road are fields so no view of that side of the van from the houses. One of the very few if only time I've parked it that way around with the side door away from the house.

They must have had a key or similar as the alarm (factory fitted) didn't go off! It's now had its security beefed up and ironically the security consultant said it was the 3rd vivaro / trafic he had booked in that week that had been broken into on a similar scenario. So it looks though they were being targetted.

Like I said this is the only time in 4 years of having it sign written that I've had any issues. I won't be un-signwriting it as I think the pros outweigh the cons!
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    One of the very few if only time I've parked it that way around with the side door away from the house.
    !
    Bet they had been watching it. Seems too much like a coincidence.
    Install some CCTV and lighting if I were you.
    Last edited by yourdj; 18-10-2016 at 09:25 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Bet they had been watching it. Seems too much like a coincidence.
    Install some CCTV and lighting if I were you.
    Not so sure, think it was just unlucky. Looking at CCTV options at the moment but as for lighting there's 3 streetlights outside so they were virtually in daylight when they did it.....Cheeky little things!
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    Not so sure, think it was just unlucky. Looking at CCTV options at the moment but as for lighting there's 3 streetlights outside so they were virtually in daylight when they did it.....Cheeky little things!
    having worked for a company who makes CCTV cameras & recorders - and having had CCTV cameras around my house and still been burgled I'll give you this advice:

CCTV isn't a deterrent. Floodlighting is, as is a good loud (and reliable) alarm system.

CCTV also isn't much good for identifying perps either - especially at night unless they're lit up really brightly. And no, don't bother with IR illumination either. It's good for showing that something happened in total darkness, but identifying who & what.. not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    having worked for a company who makes CCTV cameras & recorders - and having had CCTV cameras around my house and still been burgled I'll give you this advice:

CCTV isn't a deterrent. Floodlighting is, as is a good loud (and reliable) alarm system.

CCTV also isn't much good for identifying perps either - especially at night unless they're lit up really brightly. And no, don't bother with IR illumination either. It's good for showing that something happened in total darkness, but identifying who & what.. not so much.
    Thanks for that. I've done a fair bit of cctv research and pretty much came to that conclusion. Floodlighting won't be possible as it's fronts onto he road but the loud alarm bit has already been taken care of

And deadlocks are essential too.

Too many vans are easy to get by the central locking - this makes it much harder to get past the built in van security.

I've just created a survey regarding the topic of break-ins (attempted and successful) to see if we can get a bit more information on the circumstances and how we can work together to make our vehicles more secure:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/JSLWMMH

I'll be sending it to other people, if you know any other DJs or similar trades who have experienced a vehicle break-in share the link please

Once a few results are collected I'll post the outcomes so we can all see.
    Last edited by ukpartydj; 18-10-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Done the survey.

Already with just 2 respondents there are similar answers!

CCTV is great if used correctly.
    I have 5mp ip cameras and they are excellent in the dark. I can also set them to motion and if there is any motion within a certain area which i choose, i get a text, call or email depending on what in want.