Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ONE MORE SONG!

Exclamation ONE MORE SONG!

After a bit of advice regarding the classic 'ONE MORE SONG!' shenanigans that always happens at the end of the night.

How do you tackle it?

I normally aim to have a sing-a-long track as my last one (Take That, Oasis, etc) and don't usually have a problem playing one more, depending on how strict the venue is.

Saturday in particular, it was 10 minutes past midnight and they were all still begging for more, some in particular were rather rude and forceful with their requests. I don't like to be rude back myself so normally laugh things off as I always see the crowd on the night as potential future customers but these in particular were very challenging.

I can usually gauge with a crowd if it's going to be a one more song type crowd and try to end accordingly i.e. 5 minutes shy of the ending - you don't want to off a venue...

Plus I always check with the bride and groom - they've specifically picked a last tune after all - they might want that to be it dead and buried.

I usually go for a jump around-y banger - Jump Around being one, Tubthumping being another - they've got quite an instant "YAY WE'RE GETTING ANOTHER TUNE" hit to them.

On Saturday the crowd were gunning for one more so I kept dropping in the horn intro to Jump Around then pausing - asked the bride and groom over the mic - "are we doing this guys?"

The answer was no they were done for the night so tune is done, crowd know I was willing to do it and everyone leaves happy.

Unfortunately it sounds like you just had one of those crowds.

One of the age old DJ quandaries, we've had this a lot. Some folk recommend false endings, so they think they're getting something extra.
    I tend to use Sweet Caroline as the end, much the same as you Dean. Sometimes ( like Saturday ) it's NYNY, cos a guest requested it, and it worked well.

Playing one more is a slippery slope, and unless it's agreed ( paid ) overtime ( with the venue's consent of course ) I tend not to play the nineteen "one mores". Once you've played one, you've left yourself open to it.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Gather everybody onto the dance-floor with the B&G in the middle and playing their first dance again as the last song of the night, this always results in big cheers and clapping at the end and stops any calls for ‘one more’ in my experience. Obviously OK this with the B&G beforehand, if they have chosen a final song just do the same with that instead. It has to be a special sort of idiot who shouts ‘one more’ and ruins the moment after a finale like that.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Gather everybody onto the dance-floor with the B&G in the middle and playing their first dance again as the last song of the night, this always results in big cheers and clapping at the end and stops any calls for ‘one more’ in my experience. Obviously OK this with the B&G beforehand, if they have chosen a final song just do the same with that instead. It has to be a special sort of idiot who shouts ‘one more’ and ruins the moment after a finale like that.
    That's what I do too. It also helps to have the venue manager stood by the house lights which get blasted on as the last song finishes.

By the time guests have realised, I've turned off and disappeared to the toilet!

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    That's what I do too. It also helps to have the venue manager stood by the house lights which get blasted on as the last song finishes.
    I hate it when the lights come on full blast immediately after the last song, it gives a real ‘now off home’ message - much prefer it if the lights can be kept low and gradually raised (or just one to two zones lit if they’re not on dimmers).

Gather everybody onto the dance-floor with the B&G in the middle and playing their first dance again as the last song of the night,
    Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Well yes, but I've always had great difficulty finding a B&G at most birthday parties, especially when it's a thirteen year old.

I hate it when the lights come on full blast immediately after the last song, it gives a real ‘now off home’ message -.
    And I wish more venues did that. I hate it when they insist you finish on the dot, and then leave the place in virtual darkness. Punters stay put, and you're packing up in the dark.

I used to have a residency where they knew The Magic Words, and a member of staff was standing poised in readiness with a finger on the light switch.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    And I wish more venues did that. I hate it when they insist you finish on the dot, and then leave the place in virtual darkness. Punters stay put, and you're packing up in the dark.

I used to have a residency where they knew The Magic Words, and a member of staff was standing poised in readiness with a finger on the light switch.
    That is the beauty of only working in the same venue all the time. All the late staff there are well trained (and want to go home themselves)!!

It is (usually) a "phased" light up though as the lights are on dimmer switches, so there is no instant retina destruction. Under certain situations though, the need to turn the dimmers or operate the switches is a little more urgent, shall we say.

If the guests are still lurking around after 15-20 minutes and not moving off to the residents bar, plan B is to switch the Air Con to Arctic mode and open both fire doors!

I sometimes wander off and hide just before the end of the last tune so they can't see me and pester!

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    I sometimes wander off and hide just before the end of the last tune so they can't see me and pester!
    I tried that once. Returned to my booth to find 3 miscreants trying to work out how to unlock my laptop