Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a van

Default Getting a van

I'm looking into getting a van - probably looking at leasing, any hints, tips, advice?

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deanoakley View Post
    I'm looking into getting a van - probably looking at leasing, any hints, tips, advice?
    Yeah - don't ask Toby.

My van is on contract hire. Costs me £330ish a month (inclusive of VAT) and while it's more expensive to run on a month-to-month basis, I'll benefit more come tax time. Plus I've got a nicer van to drive around in (nicer than some people's cars, to be honest).

My first van was an Ex-AA jobbie. Cost me about £4,500 and while it was just a tin box on wheels, it really was a good van. No reason why you couldn't get a decent ex-fleet vehicle and, if you don't like the colour, just get it vinyl wrapped (cheaper than a full paint job). That in itself will be cheaper than a new van.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Yeah - don't ask Toby.

My van is on contract hire. Costs me £330ish a month (inclusive of VAT) and while it's more expensive to run on a month-to-month basis, I'll benefit more come tax time. Plus I've got a nicer van to drive around in (nicer than some people's cars, to be honest).

My first van was an Ex-AA jobbie. Cost me about £4,500 and while it was just a tin box on wheels, it really was a good van. No reason why you couldn't get a decent ex-fleet vehicle and, if you don't like the colour, just get it vinyl wrapped (cheaper than a full paint job). That in itself will be cheaper than a new van.
    Been reading around and I saw somewhere that you have to be VAT registered to be able to write off the leasing cost with regards to tax, is this right?

Quote Originally Posted by deanoakley View Post
    Been reading around and I saw somewhere that you have to be VAT registered to be able to write off the leasing cost with regards to tax, is this right?
    I'm not VAT registered. I have an accountant who performs some sort of witchcraft with my expenses.

That makes it sound dodgy. He's not dodgy. He just knows what he's doing.

My first van was an Ex-AA jobbie. Cost me about £4,500 and while it was just a tin box on wheels, it really was a good van.
    Oi! Don't you insult my Big Yellow Taxi! Armrest, air con, full hands free now I've upgraded the radio, you should have driven Thunderbird 2, now that was an experience. 55mph cruising speed, steering that liked to use all three lanes of the motorway, and draughty and noisy beyond belief.

Mainly due to the hands free not being as good in the car, I'll always take the van in preference nowadays.

I have an accountant who performs some sort of witchcraft with my expenses.

That makes it sound dodgy. He's not dodgy. He just knows what he's doing.
    Snap.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Oi! Don't you insult my Big Yellow Taxi! Armrest, air con, full hands free now I've upgraded the radio, you should have driven Thunderbird 2, now that was an experience. 55mph cruising speed, steering that liked to use all three lanes of the motorway, and draughty and noisy beyond belief.

Mainly due to the hands free not being as good in the car, I'll always take the van in preference nowadays.

Snap.
    Haha. Sounds decent.

Regarding accountant, I need to submit my first year tax return by end of Jan, will let you know how good my accountant is (he's a friend of my brother).

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    My Big Yellow Taxi didn't have working air con, was draughty and noisy as hell. But still a great van.

Depends a lot on your personal needs too. If a van is your sole vehicle, then yes I'd say look at leasing, HP etc

If it is simply a 'works vehicle' a cheaper option may be more viable.

I only paid £1500 for my van (admittedly had as much spent on it with garage bills) and it is presentable, gets me from A to B and fits all my kit in. AS i have a car too I wasn't too fussed about the van.

Have been considering changing it, but looking around realistically I wouldn't benefit much apart from added gadgets (which I don't really want anyway as more to go wrong) and maybe less trips to the garage.

The big benefit (downside) to my van is that it is VERY unlikely I will ever receive a speeding ticket
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

My train of thought is that I'd sell my car, use the funds to get a bigger car for the wife and then lease a small van so I can use it day to day.

I don't lease. I bought my newest van on finance nearly 2 years ago (I have 2 years left on it).
    £200.00 a month.
    I bought a bigger one than I needed too so that I could (and can) take advantage and do other stuff with it like garden clearances and small moves etc.