Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting a van

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Just like mine, then. That's why I don't have a backup.
    Can't fault that Peter . Mine (and indeed her mother ) both tell me she's faultless

After 17 years of service last Sunday (been with her for 23) - she's flawless and a lot more reliable than most of the kit I take out on the road each and every week . No backup needed there

Anyway - back to topic.....

I paid the mahusive sum of £1,200 for my van in Feb 2015 (it should be noted that I'm an "honorary Yorkshireman" and spending money doesn't sit well with me ). It's a W plate Toyota Hiace SWB so bigger than the little Pergeot Partner type things and smaller than Peter's big yellow Transit. I was lucky....like my dear lady wife she just works!

There's no turbo (I wish), no air-con, no electric windows, and it's a bit like driving a bus...she gets up to speed eventually. But, she's been given the big thumbs up mechanically by my chap with the spanners (who actually trained on these vans) and so far, touch wood other than a flat pair of batteries last year for she indeed has TWO batteries, has never let me down even on the coldest of days.

The bodywork needs attention (not unlike the dear lady wife....ooops...did I say that in public! ), which I can deal with when I get the time but that's not important to me so long as she gets me to the gig and back again. She's also more than big enough to get more than enough gear into, including a ton and a half of retro light screens if needed.

Accounts-wise, she went through the books as a straight-out purchase and is 100% business use (so repairs, fuel, insurance, breakdown cover and everything else go through the books as well).

I could have easily had a brand new shiny van with turbo, air-con and electric windows on the drive on finance or lease hire if I'd wanted to, but what's the point in reality? Does the client judge you on the condition of your van so long as you give them a great night's entertainment? They rarely actually SEE the van let alone comment on it in my very 'umble experience.

Quote Originally Posted by deanoakley View Post
    I'm looking into getting a van - probably looking at leasing, any hints, tips, advice?
    I would either buy a very large car or estate rather than have two vehicles.
    I ran a disco out of a Mondeo for years. With rear seats folded down I was amazed how much gear I could get in.

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    I ran a disco out of a Mondeo for years. With rear seats folded down I was amazed how much gear I could get in.
    Isn't that a bit like turning up with only one playout system though Mike?

I have the van AND a Zafria (the family car), both insured for the disco. Admittedly I can't fit the whole rig into the Zafira but also have a box trailer to hand just in case I need backup.

Better safe than sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Isn't that a bit like turning up with only one playout system though Mike?

I have the van AND a Zafria (the family car), both insured for the disco. Admittedly I can't fit the whole rig into the Zafira but also have a box trailer to hand just in case I need backup.

Better safe than sorry
    In the 1980's I had a Ford Capri and used a trailer with that.
    I put the record decks in the car boot so it didn't get bounced around too much.

Admittedly I only had one amp and pair of speakers but it was fine for small to medium sized gigs.

I was just worried that having two vehicles is two times all the costs of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Yeah - don't ask Toby.
    Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    Thats what I would have suggested.
    My Zafiras are lovely and I have had 3 (cheaper) vans and a large trailer.

Having said that, I put my large flight case next to a transporter in the car park yesterday and it fits sideways.
    They do look sexy, so will look into one of them when I get a new house. Back section waterproofed for dogs.
    Last edited by yourdj; 19-10-2016 at 07:18 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/