Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Just like mine, then. That's why I don't have a backup.
Can't fault that Peter . Mine (and indeed her mother ) both tell me she's faultless

After 17 years of service last Sunday (been with her for 23) - she's flawless and a lot more reliable than most of the kit I take out on the road each and every week . No backup needed there

Anyway - back to topic.....

I paid the mahusive sum of £1,200 for my van in Feb 2015 (it should be noted that I'm an "honorary Yorkshireman" and spending money doesn't sit well with me ). It's a W plate Toyota Hiace SWB so bigger than the little Pergeot Partner type things and smaller than Peter's big yellow Transit. I was lucky....like my dear lady wife she just works!

There's no turbo (I wish), no air-con, no electric windows, and it's a bit like driving a bus...she gets up to speed eventually. But, she's been given the big thumbs up mechanically by my chap with the spanners (who actually trained on these vans) and so far, touch wood other than a flat pair of batteries last year for she indeed has TWO batteries, has never let me down even on the coldest of days.

The bodywork needs attention (not unlike the dear lady wife....ooops...did I say that in public! ), which I can deal with when I get the time but that's not important to me so long as she gets me to the gig and back again. She's also more than big enough to get more than enough gear into, including a ton and a half of retro light screens if needed.

Accounts-wise, she went through the books as a straight-out purchase and is 100% business use (so repairs, fuel, insurance, breakdown cover and everything else go through the books as well).

I could have easily had a brand new shiny van with turbo, air-con and electric windows on the drive on finance or lease hire if I'd wanted to, but what's the point in reality? Does the client judge you on the condition of your van so long as you give them a great night's entertainment? They rarely actually SEE the van let alone comment on it in my very 'umble experience.