Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker input mix

Default Speaker input mix

I bought the Denon Axis speakers and was having a play around with them last night. The tops are particularly powerful and I was thinking I could possibly get away with using a single speaker for small gigs like kids parties. The speaker has two inputs and a button that allows you to mix the signal from inputs 1 and 2. So my question is... would it be acceptable to run left and right stereo feeds from my mixer into the two inputs on the speaker and mix them to create a stereo output from a single speaker, or is there some technical reason I shouldn't do this?

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    I bought the Denon Axis speakers and was having a play around with them last night. The tops are particularly powerful and I was thinking I could possibly get away with using a single speaker for small gigs like kids parties. The speaker has two inputs and a button that allows you to mix the signal from inputs 1 and 2. So my question is... would it be acceptable to run left and right stereo feeds from my mixer into the two inputs on the speaker and mix them to create a stereo output from a single speaker, or is there some technical reason I shouldn't do this?
    You can't create a stereo output from one speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    You can't create a stereo output from one speaker.
    Yes I think perhaps I worded that wrongly.

What I meant was could I get the speaker to output a mix of the right and left output from my mixer? I'm aware that if I just sent either the left or right channel from the mixer to the speaker that I would potentially lose important sound content of songs that haven't been recorded in mono.

Yes I think perhaps I worded that wrongly.

What I meant was could I get the speaker to output a mix of the right and left output from my mixer? I'm aware that if I just sent either the left or right channel from the mixer to the speaker that I would potentially lose important sound content of songs that haven't been recorded in mono.
    If it has two inputs I don’t see why not (though why it has a button to mix them I can’t work out - what scenario would require one input to be turned off?).

Most mixers have a mono output as well, might be worth checking to save running two cables.

Just seen a picture of them on FB - nice looking system.

The Alto 10s I used to use had just this arrangement, ie two line inputs ( or mic if you kept going past twelve o'clock ). I've used one in this way for ceremony music with no problems, and also the Maui 5 is configured in a way which makes it perfectly acceptable to use one on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    - what scenario would require one input to be turned off?).
    Use of microphone without music, or vice versa.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

If it has two inputs I don’t see why not (though why it has a button to mix them I can’t work out - what scenario would require one input to be turned off?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Use of microphone without music, or vice versa.
    Ignore that answer, it's way off, ah say it's way off, Son. ( I love Foghorn Leghorn. )

According to the manual I found ( eventually. I couldn't find a simple download anywhere, I had to read it on a dedicated manual site ) the button has absolutely, totally and utterly no effect on the inputs.

It does however have an effect on the LINK/THRU XLR. Denon's cunning plan is that you play two stereo channels into the first cab. When you press the mix button, both channels are routed to this, enabling speaker number two to play exactly the same thing as number one, and so on with three, four, five etc, the one thing the Maui 5 cannot do.

For the life of me though, I can't see why you'd want to run two channels into a cab, but not run both of them into subsequent ones.

Just seen a picture of them on FB - nice looking system.
    It is a very nice looking system in the flesh. The jury is still out on the performance though because one of the subs is faulty and is having to be sent back.

For the life of me though, I can't see why you'd want to run two channels into a cab, but not run both of them into subsequent ones.
    I can only think that they may consider one cable to look neater than two and that it means that you can carry less cables with you on gigs.

I think perhaps I should spend a bit of time reading through the instruction manual because I had no idea that was the purpose of that button. If that doesn't effect the inputs then I should be ok mixing the two signals through inputs 1 and 2 then. I suppose I wasn't sure if combining the signals might lead to some kind of flanging issue that would negatively effect the quality of the sound.

It is a very nice looking system in the flesh. The jury is still out on the performance though because one of the subs is faulty and is having to be sent back.

I can only think that they may consider one cable to look neater than two and that it means that you can carry less cables with you on gigs.

I think perhaps I should spend a bit of time reading through the instruction manual because I had no idea that was the purpose of that button. If that doesn't effect the inputs then I should be ok mixing the two signals through inputs 1 and 2 then. I suppose I wasn't sure if combining the signals might lead to some kind of flanging issue that would negatively effect the quality of the sound.
    FWIW, since I got my new mixer I run mono all the time now anyway, combining left & right channels. For why? A lot of older stuff is hard-panned stereo & sounds awful.

I think you're missing my point. I can see no reason why you'd run two signals into a cab, but only one signal (channel ) out. Thus, I believe the switch to be unnecessary.

I have been doing that in about 39 years of DJing.
    I just mix left and right channels into a mono power amplifier then drive two speakers with the same signal.
    It clearly cant make that much difference as in all that time no one has mentioned it to me that it didn't sound right.

I am old enough to remember pre stereo days with vinyl that was mono !