Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaker input mix

I've run mono for the past 10 - 12 years with no issues.

In recent months I have been either running a patch lead from the signal out of my MAUIs back into it's other input, or using an XLR splitter to run into both inputs. There has been a noticeable increase in both volume & sound quality. Still sending a mono signal to both, but feeding both inputs.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

The advantage of outputting mono rather than stereo is that everyone in the room hears the same thing no matter where they are positioned. Stereo sends different sounds to L/R speakers so it depends where you are in the room as to what you actually hear. For example, on a lot of older, for example 60s, stuff, they, imo, overused the stero effect and some tracks have mostly vocals on one channel and mostly music on the other. The effect this has on us, when outputting stereo, is that people sitting at one side of the room hear mostly vocals while others sitting on the other side of the room mostly hear the music ("I wish he'd turn this up! I can't hear a word they're singing!!" ). The optimum position to be is pretty much in the middle of the room but not everyone can sit there, can they?

So mono combines both signals and outputs the same signal to both left and right channels so both speakers output the same same audio and everyone hears the same thing. It's simple really. I think the only problem with some DJs is that they've been forced fed through their lives that "Stereo" is better quality. It is if you have your headphones on and gives audio depth no not in a function room scenario.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I'm glad I went mono. It wasn't so much rigidness of my own mind making me stick with stereo but my gear & playout.

Mind you til fairly recently I'd assumed all club systems were stereo too. They're not, generally, apparently.