Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitarist hooking into DJ Mixer

Default Guitarist hooking into DJ Mixer

Brides 2 friends are doing the first dance next week: 1 singing, one playing the guitar. I've been asked if I have a spare mic, and can the guitarist plug into my system. I've said yes (I must be getting soft in my old age).

Question:- As I've never plugged any instruments directly into my mixer (Denon x500) - is there anything I should be aware of? Anyone ever experienced an issues with musicians equipment ran through a DJ mixer? It'll be connected via a 1/4 jack to phono.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Brides 2 friends are doing the first dance next week: 1 singing, one playing the guitar. I've been asked if I have a spare mic, and can the guitarist plug into my system. I've said yes (I must be getting soft in my old age).

Question:- As I've never plugged any instruments directly into my mixer (Denon x500) - is there anything I should be aware of? Anyone ever experienced an issues with musicians equipment ran through a DJ mixer? It'll be connected via a 1/4 jack to phono.
    Do you know if it’s an electric or electro-acoustic guitar?

Guitar output level is similar to a microphone so a mic input will be fine.

I sometimes used to play along on guitar to tracks on my disco if the genre was rock or pop.

You can do it, but it'd be better to have a small PA mixer for such an event. Which is why I got myself one. My controller needs an external mixer anyway, and I was looking at decent 'DJ' mixers & baulking at the prices of them & thought hey, why not just get a PA mixer instead? Sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    You can do it, but it'd be better to have a small PA mixer for such an event. Which is why I got myself one. My controller needs an external mixer anyway, and I was looking at decent 'DJ' mixers & baulking at the prices of them & thought hey, why not just get a PA mixer instead? Sorted.
    Same here, whilst I didn't strictly need the pa mixer it allows me to use 4 decks on controller (yes I use all 4 every night). I get a fair few "can I plug into" types so ideal for that.

The only word of warning I'd say with musicians is regarding their ability to bring suitable cables, make sure they know the inputs and you know what connections they have... Sounds simple but on too many occasions I've had professional acts turn up with incorrect cables despite being told the hardware they'd plug into! Not so long ago I had an act trying to plug a headphone jack into my rca inputs. They didn't even know what RCA was .. But they were very good at signing!

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    Guitar output level is similar to a microphone so a mic input will be fine.

I sometimes used to play along on guitar to tracks on my disco if the genre was rock or pop.
    Errr... It may not be ok and it may won't work (depending if it's an electric guitar or an electro-acoustic guitar). You need to find out a bit more about what the guy is bringing.

Electric guitar pickups are high impedance so you either need a mixer with a high impedance input (or a setting to switch an input to high impedance) or you need a DI box in front of your mixer. Electro-acoustic guitars are usually acoustic guitars with a mic (and sometimes a pre-amp) glued to the chassis (so they behave like a Mic).

I did a gig a few months back with a singer and an acoustic guitarist. However, the guitarist came with a digital effects box, a laptop and his own pre-amp and mixer so he gave me a line level signal. The singer came with her own Mic and a little box that provided backing tracks, FX for her voice and showed the words for her line by line as she sang! I was in Tech toy heaven at that gig...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    . They didn't even know what RCA was .. But they were very good at signing!
    Was that because they couldn't plug into your PA?

Frivolous answer first Shaun, as is customary. Have a Maui 5 or similar. They have an input designed specifically for the purpose.

Jules has given the answer first, but here's A bit of light reading.

Now Shaun perhaps you'll realise why the White Haired Old Git suggests having a DI box and a PA mixer in the van for such eventualities.

PS. I think you'll be jack to jack, or jack to XLR, unless as Jules suggests they've got a pre amp somewhere. I'm fairly sure you need to use a mic input, you see, unless it gets pre amped elsewhere.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I always allow this and have done it several times in the last couple of months. Personally I think they should have their own PA it does neaten things up enough and wont pose much of a risk especially electro acoustic. Its usually friends of the B&G who just do stuff at home or with other peoples speakers. I would always prefer to use my own kit if I was them. I used singing waiters RCF system one wedding and it kept feeding back, which was a big mistake.

I use a mini Behringer mixer, but also have a larger one if needed. I would draw the line at a rock band or anymore than 2 instruments. After all they are often getting paid £1000+ for an hours set sop should at least have PA/mixer. You do pose the risk that if their sound is bad then they could blame you and you may be liable for any mishaps relating to that, but with a simple set up then its no problem.

These two were playing through my system. They were super professional actually as they work holiday parks - you would never guess!!

https://vimeo.com/183294007

Admin or Shaun as its your thread ):
    Why can't I post Vimeo videos? As the second largest video site its a bit crap, must be a forum plug in or something?
    Last edited by yourdj; 23-10-2016 at 09:53 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I'd prefer for a small band/performer to plug into my PA just because it means a lot less clutter. Often though that will mean putting my own speakers in front of them to stop feedback issues (because how many of them bring decent mics with them? Ha!).

As for cabling issues - I carry enough adapters & short adapter tails to cope with most scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

i think most points have been covered BUT I would be very close to your volume controls JUST IN CASE PEOPLE GET CARRIED AWAY and also make sure there is no bass guitar

Works fine unless like the Wedding some years ago the guitar player/singer drove half the crowd out the main room---NEVER TO RETURN.

Ruined the Wedding.

Hopefully they will disappear after the first dance and leave you to do your work.

Excuse the cynical approach but its not nice if it goes the wrong way.