Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitarist hooking into DJ Mixer

If I can't help them with what they have....or what they can source themselves, in time for Saturday then it's out of my hands.

I've sent an email asking her what kind of guitar it is. I;d already previously asked her to provide a 1/4 inch jack to phono. Would this be ok to hook into my mixer via that cable if it's an acoustic guitar or electro acoustic guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If I can't help them with what they have....or what they can source themselves, in time for Saturday then it's out of my hands.

I've sent an email asking her what kind of guitar it is. I;d already previously asked her to provide a 1/4 inch jack to phono. Would this be ok to hook into my mixer via that cable if it's an acoustic guitar or electro acoustic guitar?
    Ok..it's a Semi Acoustic Guitar Will the above mentioned cable into a phono on my mixer work?

A semi acoustic will just have pick ups, no pre-amp, so goes into mic channel (so jack to jack) or a channel with a phono/line switched to phono as if a turntable (in which case jack to RCA's).
    Last edited by musicology; 23-10-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Ok..it's a Semi Acoustic Guitar Will the above mentioned cable into a phono on my mixer work?
    Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    A semi acoustic will just have pick ups, no pre-amp, so goes into mic channel or a channel with a phono/line switched to phono as if a turntable.
    Ahem. As pointed out earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

PS. I think you'll be jack to jack, or jack to XLR, unless as Jules suggests they've got a pre amp somewhere. I'm fairly sure you need to use a mic input, you see, unless it gets pre amped elsewhere.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Oh, and you'll likely need the bass eq backed off to a negative setting. Nothing worse than an artificially bass enhanced acoustic guitar. Sounds dreadful and will also sound very unpleasant behind the singer.

I did a wedding once where they had a singer-guitarist turn up to play (without informing me first). He tried plugging in through my powered mixer but the signal was way too weak. It should have gone through a pre-amp, I'm guessing, but we didn't have one available. In the end, I just mic'd him up with a lavalier mic.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I did a wedding once where they had a singer-guitarist turn up to play (without informing me first). He tried plugging in through my powered mixer but the signal was way too weak. It should have gone through a pre-amp, I'm guessing, but we didn't have one available. In the end, I just mic'd him up with a lavalier mic.
    Phantom power button on that one then.
    Always handy having a wired/wireless mic and mic stand in the car.
    Last edited by yourdj; 24-10-2016 at 08:36 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

If it's friends and family and it's a simple enough set up then it's not a problem as my HKs have inputs for guitar and mics too.

If it's an actual hired band they can bring their own stuff, hire mine for the duration or jog on.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Phantom power button on that one then.
    I might be being a bit thick here, but how would sending phantom power to a guitar boost the signal?
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries