Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: louder sound system?

Default louder sound system?

I've done a few "big gigs" with around 500 people and my current system for this gets pushed to the limit every time and whilst it's loud enough it's certainly not LOUD. I thought it'd be easier to identify louder systems haha but I'm struggling as I know watts and speaker size don't mean much and the SPL between the speakers I thought were louder is the same!

Currently using:

RCF 310A
    MACKIE SRM450
    RFC 705AS
    2x QTX 15'' SUBS

I'm really looking to replace the Mackie speakers for some really loud ones not to be used for small venues and maybe the subs, if I'm going to continue doing these types of events.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

You could get senders and place speakers around the room for better dispersion. Are these events outside or inside?

DXR 15's? Cant go wrong with that.

The HK stack rigs are always a good bet if you want a proper large event system. One system is better than 4.
    Depends how much it will be used I guess to warrant the price.

Also a proper line array rig would project the sound better if its a big crowd but it will cost over £10,000

This system is well loud for £4000!!
    http://www.theaudioworksuk.com/hk-au...FQYo0wod3iYK7g

Name:  hk-audio-l5-pack3-power-pack-audio_works.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  20.5 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 23-10-2016 at 12:44 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I use Mackie SRM450's and RCF 705's together for the bigger gigs and it sounds fine to me but then I've only played to 300 with that set up.

On one occasion I replaced the Mackie's with my JBL125's and used the 705's and that was pretty meaty. I also had the Mackies elsewhere in the venue (a marquee) and it was good enough.

I think sometimes people expect it to be 'club like' at times but forget that in a lot of clubs there are multiple speakers spread around the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post

I'm really looking to replace the Mackie speakers for some really loud ones not to be used for small venues and maybe the subs, if I'm going to continue doing these types of events.
    Interesting. Budget is the first thing we need to know. I've costed an LD system of four 15" subs and two 12" tops around £3,000 ( could perhaps be lower and louder by swapping ranges about ) and a DAP Club Mate 3 at around the same price.

A pair of these would go a long way to making enough noise, especially coupled with a pair of these Around £4,000 the lot.

The tops just might be loud enough on their own.

If you want to stay Mackie, the SRM 650 is a high spec " Marmite " cab. HK would be high on my list too, I had my LD rig blown away by one very like the one Toby linked to.

Lots of options, perhaps too many which can be confusing. Let us know how many boxes you want, and what configuration you fancy.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    The HK stack rigs are always a good bet if you want a proper large event system. One system is better than 4.
    Depends how much it will be used I guess to warrant the price.

This system is well loud for £4000!!
    http://www.theaudioworksuk.com/hk-au...FQYo0wod3iYK7g
    For a change I agree with Toby, although the set he recommends is only rated for an audience of 350 or so, a better bet would be the HK 'Big venue set' if you have the budget, they're not cheap, but with a little negotiation should come in for a bit under 6K. For that you get a very flexible system for gigs from 100 to 600+ people which would also dry hire for around £300 a day. If you need to go cheaper consider a pair of HD1521 Mackies with a couple of decent subs, they should do the job for you, a used pair of HD1521s in very good condition can be found for under 1K if you keep your eyes open.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

I think I'd be hiring for that many people. That way you get the expert knowledge of a company who regularly deals with crowds of that size too.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I think I'd be hiring for that many people. That way you get the expert knowledge of a company who regularly deals with crowds of that size too.
    A valid suggestion, considering the OP says it will only be used for larger gigs. Personally, I'd like a rig that could be split into smaller parts and used for less than 500, and more than 100, as it were.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I would think the Yamaha 18 subs and 15 tops would be the most powerful & economical other than a big passive system but you do have the weight and size problems with both.

But I would think the most versatile, compact and modern system would be 4x FBT CS1000

Thanks for the suggestions. My budget isn't set in stone. I currently do maybe 2/3 of these large events per year currently. Unless I increase the amount of events there is no way I'll be looking to spend big.

What I'm thinking about now is prehaps replacing the mackies with some nice really powerful tops (looking at all suggestions now) and then depending on the venue look to hire in subs

The events I've previously done have been in hangers or marquees. Here's a picture of the last event I did, which as I said was okay, and the client seemed happy enough to ask to book again, it was loud enough but it could have been soo much better.

Name:  DSC_1343.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  114.9 KB

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

You need an HK stack system for that