Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DJEP request limit problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Seriously chaps (and at least one lovely chapess)...where's the problem?

We're here to provide a service aren't we? What the customer wants, they get (or they do in my book).

I don't limit the number of requests, but I've changed the heading in DJEP from "Must Play" to "Please Play". I also explain to all clients that this is a guide only and I'll fit the requests in if they're likely to work on the night. I've never, EVER had a problem with this policy and all customers so far have understood this.

As for it being a NaD gig....(sorry Martin/Vectis)...I really don't give a damn about that now. I'm so sick of £130 budgets coming through that I'll be leaving once this year's subscription is over.
    They do get what they want, within reason - I've a business reputation to maintain so not letting them go mental with 300 "MUST PLAYS" from their extensive prog metal record collection is in my, their guests and ultimately their own interests - you tell the cake maker what flavours you want - you don't hang over their shoulder saying how many eggs and how much flower they should use to make the cake...

Apart from that - they still have plenty of free reign - 10 must plays, 20 would like to hear, unlimited do not play, guest requests etc... without it leaving me spending the night with my head in a list making sure I'm ticking off every list.

As for NaD, I get a few high paying gigs per year from it but the quality of the leads does seem to have dwindled in the last year or so to the point I probably go for one every week or two now. I actually keep meaning to change my preferences to filter out even more of the rubbish - I don't get the bottom of the barrel stuff but I do get a lot that I've no interest in responding to.

We're here to provide a service aren't we? What the customer wants, they get (or they do in my book).

I don't limit the number of requests, but I've changed the heading in DJEP from "Must Play" to "Please Play". I also explain to all clients that this is a guide only and I'll fit the requests in if they're likely to work on the night. I've never, EVER had a problem with this policy and all customers so far have understood this.

As for it being a NaD gig....(sorry Martin/Vectis)...I really don't give a damn about that now. I'm so sick of £130 budgets coming through that I'll be leaving once this year's subscription is over.
    Apart from what I just said - your set up is in a way less in keeping with the clients demands:

Those 10 must plays on my list will be played at all costs (unless the content or response (and I mean offend your granny / get the venue in trouble) to them is seriously questionable) whereas with a "please play, but it's ultimately at my discretion whether I do or not" model, they might not hear anything they would absolutely love to hear if you're making the call on the night...

Swings and roundabouts, we all have our own way to run our businesses.

We're here to provide a service aren't we? What the customer wants...
    Yup. Same here but I can see perfectly why so many DJs are against it - many businesses rely somewhat on referrals. If a night is stuffed full of navel gazing dross the B&G prefer to whatever floats the guests' boat the DJ will be thought crap & not worth booking by the people in the majority. That's where the concerns of djs come in. On the other side of that there are DJs out there playing exactly the same tunes every night hoping for a good reaction. We can't always win.

Me? I couldn't care less so long as whoever pays is happy. Then there's always the irreconcilable to consider... "But I gave you the list & the order I want them played. WHY IS NOBODY DANCING?!". Heh.

I love lists & actively encourage them. Thankfully so far I've not often come a cropper.

I prefer having a bit more discussion and input into clients lists, doing it online like this seems to be another step towards automating the whole process, it all feels a bit impersonal. Give me a good chat with the client about music over a coffee any day.
    Last edited by funkymook; 27-10-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I prefer having a bit more discussion and input into clients lists, doing it online like this seems to be another step towards automating the whole process, it all feels a bit impersonal. Give me a good chat with the client about music over a coffee any day.

It's a meeting of the minds. Combine their knowledge of their's and their guest's musical tastes with your experience and knowledge of the job.
    Last edited by funkymook; 27-10-2016 at 04:22 PM.

very true , having never used DJEP , I cannot comment on it , but if I ever wanted a DJ , I would like to meet him/her , for more personal approach
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

I meet with my clients too - the djep list is just another string to the bow.

As for automating - I let it do all the rubbish admin stuff that used to eat up chunks of time, I'm all for that kind of automation

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I meet with my clients too - the djep list is just another string to the bow.

As for automating - I let it do all the rubbish admin stuff that used to eat up chunks of time, I'm all for that kind of automation
    Oh I’m all for automating admin tasks, my contracts, invoices, receipts, reminders etc are all done with a touch of a button (and contracts echo signed as well).

But always willing to consider new approaches. Do your clients pick their songs before or after you meet them? Does DJEP link into your own music collection or a generic one? How do you handle the unworkable choices?

Oh I’m all for automating admin tasks, my contracts, invoices, receipts, reminders etc are all done with a touch of a button (and contracts echo signed as well).

But always willing to consider new approaches. Do your clients pick their songs before or after you meet them? Does DJEP link into your own music collection or a generic one? How do you handle the unworkable choices?

Depends, some are putting tunes in for 2018 weddings already, my last couple did her haw until 3 days before the lockout which is a week before the gig.

I use the generic list because it has more choices from the off but you can use your own list.

If unworkable tunes are one of the must plays, they get played - if they're in the would like to hear bracket and they definitely wont work, ive got thousands of better alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post

If unworkable tunes are one of the must plays, they get played - if they're in the would like to hear bracket and they definitely wont work, ive got thousands of better alternatives
    So how do you handle client expectations if none of their ‘like to hear’ tunes are going to get played? Do advise them beforehand or wait and see if they say anything on the night?