Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video projector for photos/vids

That's exactly why I bought my projectors. They can add a lot to a set up and for a small additional fee too.
    Good luck with it.
    I've got mine in the van just in case I feel like using them tonight. Better get my backside moving now as it's a long drive.....AGAIN.

Quick update. Now got 4 bookings that have added the projector so payed for itself already! Have done 1 with it and can see the advantage of a short throw already so will be looking closely at suitable LED ones. Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Quick update. Now got 4 bookings that have added the projector so payed for itself already! Have done 1 with it and can see the advantage of a short throw already so will be looking closely at suitable LED ones. Any recommendations?
    Hi,i use this one http://www.benq.com/product/projector/MX850UST i know it is not led but it has been faultless use it for rear and front projections takes up very little room and goes out on dry hire with no problems.

I think I would rather stick with LED thanks.

I was under the impression that LED are just not as good, but I may be wrong. Everyone I know doing the monograms and visuals uses a normal bulb type projector. Optoma, seems the most popular. I looked into getting a cheap chinese LED (and normal bulb one) one but everyone said, don't even bother. I would look at getting as bright a projector as poss. A good brightness is about 5000 lumens I believe. There are some cheaper options out there, i can ask on a group I am on if you want?
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

The more advice I can get the better. If I'm wrong about LED then fine, I'll go for a normal lamp. I'm keen on LED only because now I've experienced the colour improvement with disco effects projectors I, perhaps wrongly, assumed the same improvement would apply to video projectors. Cheers.
    Last edited by musicology; 27-11-2016 at 12:21 AM.

Led is not very good with projectors i did a lot of research and the one i listed is spot on.

Thought I would add my thoughts here – I have been using projectors for events for years and have amassed many different types. Why so many ? Because I have yet to find one projector that will do everything. Yes I have my ‘go to’ one which covers 90% of my events but it really depends what you are using it for.

The big thing people never think about is what they are projecting onto, which brings bigger differences than the actual projector you are using.

You need 5000 lumens+
    Biggest load of rubbish ever ! Likely due to our American comrades using these in very big function rooms recommending them (ever wonder why they are for sale in America but like rocking horse poo to buy over here?). If you are projecting onto stone/wooden walls or dancefloor then yes, a high lumens is needed, however this type of projector will be very dissapointing if using against a screen, especially rear projection or a small/medium size venue.

Rear Projection
    This is great if you want to hide your projector out of the way and does look a lot neater, BUT to do it properly is not as easy as it sounds.
    Back to the lumens – if you have a projector which is too bright you will get a white light shining through, even using the best of screens. I have found about 2500-3000 lumend the best. If it is not bright enough the picture is dull, too bright you can’t look at the screen for the white light shining though. For the record I have never found rear projection as sharp as front projection.

Short Throw Projectors.
    These are great for taking less room. Almost essential for rear projection unless you want your screen in the middle of the room.
    However, the picture from these is very rarely a true square – most short throw projectors incorporate a fish eye lens so getting a perfect square is nigh on impossible.
    I do own one of the Ricoh projectors that you can virtually place up against a wall or screen. These are great BUT the worry is that is a very expensive projector that can easily be kicked, especially if kids are running around or people dancing.

Projecting onto a screen
    The screen you buy can make moreof a difference than the projectr you use. Personally I don’t use expensive screens when buying the tripod type as after a while you do get the odd crease/mark/discolour so have found it better using slightly cheaper ones and replace more often. A really cheap screen though can be bad news – you will find the colours not as vivid and the picture not sharp at all, together with creases after only a few uses.

Projecting onto Dancefloor/Walls
    This is where I would advise a high lumens projector – the brighter the better especially against wood. You find a lot of people doing monograms just use white, obviously the brightest of colours. If you are asked for a colour and use a lower lumens projector you won’t see any of certain colours – especially blues.
    A short throw projector is rarely a good idea unless you know the distance between the wall/dancefloor and projector as you have little scope for movement – a couple of inches changes the picture size dramatically. Those clever enough will be able to change the image on a pc, but for a ‘plug and play’ I would not recommend short throw.

LED v Lamp type
    I have never owned an LED but have seen them in action. Personally I found the image very harsh, and as mentioned before with rear projection, the leakage through a screen is quite bad.
    It is like any LED lighting fixture to be honest, the light is always a little more harsh than using a lamp and never quite as good (different subject to debate I feel lol)
    The bonus is though, lamps for projectors can be very pricey and break easier than LED. In the past whenever a lamp has gone in a projector (only had 2 in 10 years) I have changed the projector.

The biggest thing though is don’t believe wha you read. I had an old epson 1500 lumens projector which could give the 5000lumens optoma ones a good run for their money. Also what suits one persons environment won’t suit the next.
    The main thing people fall flat on though, is looking at the projectors before looking at what they will be projecting onto !
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Thought I would add my thoughts here
    Good advise.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Yep, very helpful. Thanks.