Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TOP 10 (ish) Brummie / Birmingham

Hasn't this subject come up before Toby? Were you not paying attention then? We don't all have whippets, wear flat caps, love Ant or Dec (or Cheryl), listen to Sting, Lindisfarne or Jimmy Nail ye nah. Oh wait, but then I'm not a Geordie. Never have been, never will be

I don't go in for regional music stereotyping myself.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    We don't all wear flat caps, Oh wait, but then I'm not a Geordie. Never have been, never will be
    I remember on a city and guilds electronics course I did at Durham a Geordie always wearing his cloth cap.
    The tutor asked him to take it off but he refused saying he was a Geordie working class man and proud of it.

Brian Johnson of (Geordie and AC/DC) always wears a cloth cap too.

If you had a scottish wedding would you not play 500 miles, loch lomond?
    Or an irish wedding - play a bit of Dubliners, Pougues etc.
    Welsh, a bit of Tom jones etc. I have lost count of the times that Stereo phonics Dakota has been asked for on the night.
    I have always wanted to play Goldy looking chain, but it never comes up LOL.

Yes I know they are separate countries (kind of) and most of them still very celtic so the music is very different.

However ... I do agree with you its a bit over the top, but was just interested more than anything (I did not play any tracks in the end).

Even so - I always get asked for a bit of Gerry and the pacemakers for Liverpudlian weddings, depends o the type of guests usually. I think it was Sheffield group one wedding (and other ones) and all I had was people asking for 'you look good on the dance floor' all night!! Manchester weddings always ask for happy mondays, Stone roses, oasis and other similar bands. I am not making this up, maybe its just my clients.

Some pre event research has literally made the night in the past with regards to regional music tastes, so I like to explore all angles as you never know. One such example was playing Rabbit at a London wedding the other day, they went mental when I put it on.

I did a wedding with a lot of people from the west country last month and I must have had about 10 people come up and ask for the wurzels (not just combine harvester) and I had all the main hits as I had researched it in advance. So regional tracks are a thing and something i take note of even if I don't play any of them on the night.

Nice to have it as a playlist incase it is required for a future date I guess?
    Last edited by yourdj; 13-11-2016 at 02:05 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Oh wait, but then I'm not a Geordie. Never have been, never will be

You must be. Travelling North it's Londoners, Brummies, Yellowbellies, God's Chosen Own, Geordies and Scots. Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

However ... I do agree with you its a bit over the top, but was just interested more than anything (I did not play any tracks in the end).
    Whaaaat? All my hard work wasted? Grrrr.

Even so - I always get asked for a bit of Gerry and the pacemakers for Liverpudlian weddings, depends o the type of guests usually. I think it was Sheffield group one wedding (and other ones) and all I had was people asking for 'you look good on the dance floor' all night!! Manchester weddings always ask for happy mondays, Stone roses, oasis and other similar bands. I am not making this up, maybe its just my clients.

Some pre event research has literally made the night in the past with regards to regional music tastes, so I like to explore all angles as you never know. One such example was playing Rabbit at a London wedding the other day, they went mental when I put it on.
    Blimey Toby, I'd never have thought of playing something by the Kings of " Rockney ". Top marks for such a leftfield idea.

So regional tracks are a thing and something i take note of even if I don't play any of them on the night.
    That I can't argue with Toby, and it is indeed wise to have an idea of what you may be asked for, and to have those tracks already in the library. Just in case, mind. I mean I'm a Tyke, but I like a bit of Rolling Stones.

Even if they are from London.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Maybe the question should of been
    What music does birmingham people like to dance to?

The answer to that is most thing depending on the crowd but spending 20 years in Birmingham i would say. Reggae, Old school Rnb and general party stuff. Oh yes of the Animal Magnet - Welcome to the monkey house

If you had a scottish wedding would you not play 500 miles, loch lomond?
    Or an irish wedding - play a bit of Dubliners, Pougues etc.
    Welsh, a bit of Tom jones etc. I have lost count of the times that Stereo phonics Dakota has been asked for on the night.
    I have always wanted to play Goldy looking chain, but it never comes up LOL.

Yes I know they are separate countries (kind of) and most of them still very celtic so the music is very different.

I did a wedding with a lot of people from the west country last month and I must have had about 10 people come up and ask for the wurzels (not just combine harvester) and I had all the main hits as I had researched it in advance. So regional tracks are a thing and something i take note of even if I don't play any of them on the night.

Nice to have it as a playlist incase it is required for a future date I guess?
    Yeah OK the stereotypes exist and can go down well - or as you put it they can 'go mental' to things. My worry is always that it'll be the wrong kind of mental they go so I'd rather not.

I played 2 student gigs in Cardiff a long time ago - one was an end of rag week disco & the other was an architect's ball. The latter needed Delilah playing whereas at the former I wouldn't have dreamed of ever going anywhere near Tom Jones. The former is still stuck in my memory as one of my favourite gigs of all time - I had loads of requests (it was a britpop/indie kind of gig) and EVERY requester brought me a pint! :O Those were the days!

Quote Originally Posted by surround sounds View Post
    Oh yes of the Animal Magnet - Welcome to the monkey house
    this tune alone will get you massive respect for even knowing it let alone playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    this tune alone will get you massive respect for even knowing it let alone playing it.
    Oh yes can not beat animal Magnet - Welcome to the Monkey House

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Whaaaat? All my hard work wasted? Grrrr.
    Sorry. It was a tough night, lots of people wanting different things, resulting in a constant 20% turn around on the floor. I appreciate the assistance. I played country roads and it bombed, so that proved a point. It was just not that sort of night. Appreciate the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by surround sounds View Post
    Maybe the question should of been
    What music does birmingham people like to dance to?
    Yes good point as Birmingham must have so many ethnical influences.

My worry is always that it'll be the wrong kind of mental they go so I'd rather not.
    Yes same here, in fact the bride came over on Rabbit and said, in a jovial manner, please don't play any more Chas and Dave. It was something we had discussed at the meeting and we agreed on one track for the groom. I had mentioned it earlier (all day wedding) as one of the guests actually had in sickness and health as they walked out of their own wedding, so mainly it was for the groom and a few immediate friends. Got the whole day here: https://vimeo.com/189650187

Sp in many cases it is not such as great idea as the key focus should be on the clients really and not a pub type please all event sort of thing so i certainly am with you on that.
    Last edited by yourdj; 13-11-2016 at 11:58 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I've had a couple of run-ins with 'Combine Harvester' at farming family weddings in the last 18 months. I shake my head, double-take & ask if they're really very sure - they say yay, and at one wedding where the bride had asked me to play it as the first dance the groom disappeared for more than an hour! Can't say I'd have blamed him. There's always room for humour at weddings, but everybody has to be completely on board with it. That can be the part that's hardest to judge.