Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Resolutions for 2017?

Default Resolutions for 2017?

OK, we've still got many parties to go between us, and it's still 41 sleeps until Christmas....but I'm well and truly working on next year already

Soooo....what are YOUR New Year's resolutions for next year?

Mine?

* To continue to look into ways of making the job easier (i.e. quicker setup times)
    * To spend less (I already have more than enough gear...I really don't need any more!
    * To double turnover AND profit (I'm already over halfway booked for next year which is new to me)
    * To turn the business into something I can live off
    * To go to BPM in September and actually go to an eatery and get drunken in Broad Street!

How am I going to get there?

* Well the retro-fit of WiFi is going well. I've got a LOT of fixtures still to go, but hey....January's looking quiet(ish) at the moment. My current set up from actually getting in is around 30 mins...I'd LOVE to get this to 20. Pack down is around the same at the moment.
    * I'm going to ditch CDPool for Promo Only (that's already £220 pa saved!). Equipment costs are going to be literally replacement only...there is NOTHING else I need gear wise.
    * The holy grail. I learned a harsh lesson this year with a couple of months of no work due to complacency on the SEO side of things. I've worked bly hard this year to make sure that doesn't happen again. I've already got half of this year's turnover in the bag for next year (and I've finally matched last year's turnover despite the dead couple of months). I've increased my prices for next year and still getting a LOT of bookings. There's scope for another £100 a night yet
    * This one is a long term plan. I've now got everything I need and my current full time job has another 18 months to run. The beauty here is that my FT job is now based working from home....and there isn't a lot of work to do (it's a complicated story but involves the bosses keeping the company going until the youngest reaches 60 in Aug 2018...I'm in essence being paid to...well...just be there). This means that I can plough an awful lot of time into the disco and it's actually reaping rewards. In 18 month's time....I'll be a full time DJ
    * I think I'll at least have Peter's backing on this one

So in a nutshell, my plans are to consolidate what I do, do it better, quicker and easier, and to make the bank manager (aka Mrs Imagine) even happier that I don't see her of an evening

Over to you

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

Soooo....what are YOUR New Year's resolutions for next year?

Mine?

* To go to BPM in September and actually go to an eatery and get drunken in Broad Street!

* I think I'll at least have Peter's backing on this one

Don't get me started.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

My only real resolution is this:

Get my own gigs & BE A MOBILE DJ! ( and by association spend more time at home).

That & I've resolved to stop taking other people's repairs in.

Until the first point is achieved I'm working to rule. Taking no more than I need & only providing a show worthy of the fee. So 2 lights & 2 speakers basically. Why should I be adding an extra hour's work?

NB what I actually do will remain the same but I'm damned if I'm staying back til 1am derigging
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 14-11-2016 at 12:41 PM.

My main business resolution is to only do 1/3 of the discos I am currently doing myself. Aim is to eventually only do a handful of discos a year myself, however I now have a few great DJs working for me.

I intend to be as busy, just doing non-disco work.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    My main business resolution is to only do 1/3 of the discos I am currently doing myself. Aim is to eventually only do a handful of discos a year myself, however I now have a few great DJs working for me.

I intend to be as busy, just doing non-disco work.
    Good to see you got sorted out on that front!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Good to see you got sorted out on that front!
    Long hard slog, only drawback is they also have 'proper jobs', so have to check shifts etc.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Pay less tax than this year

Stop doing "diary fillers" - I don't do them often but now and again I find myself at a gig for an agent or pal thinking "why am I out for a 3rd of my usual price just to be out of the house?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    now and again I find myself at a gig for an agent or pal thinking "why am I out for a 3rd of my usual price just to be out of the house?"

Jim, have you ever seen what passes for entertainment on TV on a Saturday night? I'm considering paying people to let me do gigs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Jim, have you ever seen what passes for entertainment on TV on a Saturday night? I'm considering paying people to let me do gigs!!

Spoken like someone who doesn't have a hot tub out the back and gallons of aldi prossecco within shouting distance

My tax thing is actually a serious one - I got hammered with a bill the other week as, alongside the teaching salary, I'm now very much in the 40% tax bracket. A first world problem by all means but it sucks to work my balls off and come away with the similar kind of take home as a sid charging buttons.

So - no more cheap gigs - if I'm going to end up paying out a fortune on gigs, I'm not starting off cheap, and ideally I'll pull in 5-10 more bookings per year off my own steam and push me far enough into the 40% bracket that the dunt isn't as hard to stomach next year.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have a hot tub out the back and gallons of aldi prossecco within shouting distance
    I haven't even got a hot tub inside the house. With the cost of heating water, I'm lucky if I get a cold shower once a month, whether I need one or not.

My tax thing is actually a serious one - I got hammered with a bill the other week as, alongside the teaching salary, I'm now very much in the 40% tax bracket.
    OK Peter, be serious.
    Jim, if you haven't already got one, I'd advise getting an accountant. They're always a good idea, especially if you already have a full time job paying a living wage or more. They'll tell you what you can offset against tax. Does the Disco need a nice shiny new van?