Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phrases that have passed their sell by date.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    After seeing a wedding rig that goes out to fairs recently, the phrase "state of the art" is my nomination.
    Totally agree with you on this, used on websites by many, but in reality only applies to a few.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Totally agree with you on this, used on websites by many, but in reality only applies to a few.
    I see it a lot. People are calling cheap dotty lights & PAR cans with 5mm LEDs 'state of the art'

'Wedding host', when all they don't really do much hosting at all.

'Roadshow', so many people still use this.

'never a better time to be a DJ' - no not really, what about the 70's, when it all started?

'gig pig' although this is probably only known in some circles, but used a lot.

'award winning DJ' when all they have is a Need a Disco criteria check and a couple of references.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    and I can't disagree with any of them.
    Shoulda , shouldn't I?

We / I will work with you.

If ever there was a phrase which should be taken as read by any customer I think it's this.
    Should, yes. Sadly, since I believe there are far too many DJs who only operate one way, only offer one thing, and aren't receptive to customer's wishes, I'll beg to differ here.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    'Wedding host', when all they don't really do much hosting at all.
    That one I'll give you Toby.
    It's of its time, but still applicable to certain rigs and occasions, I feel.
    'never a better time to be a DJ' - no not really, what about the 70's, when it all started?
    Strike me pink Toby!!! I was there, and while the 70's had its charm, the records alone needed a twin wheel transit, and that was before you put any of the thirty feet of lightboxes with only sixty per cent of the bulbs working. A playout system six feet wide, and effing great speakers.
    Nowadays, it's a laptop, and controller in a bag over your shoulder, all your music on an HD the size of a cig packet, speakers that weigh naff all, and a couple of LED lights. I know which is better, Toby
    'gig pig' although this is probably only known in some circles, but used a lot.
    And how many times does that appear in what we tell clients?
    'award winning DJ' when all they have is a Need a Disco criteria check and a couple of references.
    Well technically, that could legitimately be construed as an award. Granted, only just.
    Sorry lads, we can't put those in our Room 101 of dodgy Disco phrases.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Shoulda , shouldn't I?

Should, yes. Sadly, since I believe there are far too many DJs who only operate one way, only offer one thing, and aren't receptive to customer's wishes, I'll beg to differ here.

Sorry lads, we can't put those in our Room 101 of dodgy Disco phrases.
    Perhaps I would benefit from reading the original question again?

Good point re the better time to be a DJ bit. Its more because of the networking and technology allowing us to market services and chat with each other, but lighter more compact gear is also a massive benefit. Access to music also from the client and also the DJ's benefit. Makes the job a lot harder as there is so much to choose from.

Imagine being a DJ in the year 2100 as i guess they may also be playing some of the tracks from now until then, unless it seriously moves on?? Thats assuming he does not look like this and can analyse the whole dacefloor within a faction of a second without even looking and select within 95-97 percent what will work best next.

Even then i bet he gets the cut throat from the one prat not dancing to it.

Name:  DVJ-King-Arthur.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  55.4 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 17-11-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Perhaps I would benefit from reading the original question again?
    I'll hold my hand up Toby, it could have been worded better.

To clarify, phrases often used in advertising our services which may turn punters off, baffle them, or generally be difficult to substantiate.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

The dancefloor will be RAMMED ALL NIGHT
    And next week's winning lottery numbers are...

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    'Your Wedding Your Way’
    ‘Bespoke’

etc etc.
    We / I will work with you.
    Time out!!!!! Will you lot quit looking at my web sites!

"Your wedding, your way"...guilty as charged...but it ties in nicely with...

"Bespoke/work with you"....depends on the context. On my wedding site I sell myself as not doing the usual turn up, press buttons and go home. The customer gets full control over everything (from the styles of lighting to the way everything's announced to yes, full control of the playlist should they want it). I can and do turn up and do a normal party, but the option's there if they want it.

OK - I know that's the way we should all work anyway, but the number of customers I speak to where they've contacted me through my sites which don't mention this sort of thing and ask about can they choose some songs etc. is staggering. Nothing wrong with making things obvious

Roadshow...only on my retro site (because when that setup was in use, we WERE roadshows).

"State of the art" - nah. Everyone's using the same generic kit these days. It's part of the reason I do so well on the retro kit because it's different to what everyone else is using. The only thing (apart from price/brand of kit) which separates most of us these days is whether or not we DMX the lights or let them run S2L doing their own thing....and even then I'm not convinced a lot of customers notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    "Your wedding, your way"...guilty as charged..
    Me too and I thought i was being original. Clearly not.

Name:  PAGE1.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  192.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    whether or not we DMX the lights or let them run S2L doing their own thing....and even then I'm not convinced a lot of customers notice.
    IMO I don't think the vast majority of the crowd notices unless a very professionally produced lightshow is utilised, and how often is this the case, considering the time/skill required to produce/program such a bespoke show for an average priced gig ? Very rarely I would guess, for the majority of gigs, the money required is just not there.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire