Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Struggling with new setup ideas.

Update:

So I met with a couple last week and showed them a few photos who said they liked the starlit booth & the screen with no preference over either. My friends seemed to like the screen the most and the price was the most attractive to me (1/5 of the price) so that's what I went with. I am going to have to do something about lining up those damn hinges, why are they both the same length (any ideas before I saw the top one down on all the panels), they are infuriating! Also no feet so the black paint comes off, had to pop some rubber feet on them... oh but now it won't slide easily, I guess that's not a bad point.

The panels were delivered in time for a kids party I did at the weekend with the mirror ball columns... I'm starting to like the look of the columns again, they work much better with the screen! Need to get some up lighters behind the screen (didn't have much setup time). I do think the pinspot is a little weak though, I feel if I had a brighter pinspot I'd be much happier but they all seem to be 3w! May be worth me looking into a bit of DIY LED upgrade .

Name:  setup.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  36.1 KB

Also I saw a black friday deal on a pair of chauvet intimidator 3015IRC barell effects which I originally was considering £260 off so I felt it was rude not to buy them... should be arriving later today.
    I think I'll replace the moving heads on my t-bar with the barell effects, maybe splash out on a nice gobo or 2 if I'm happy with the new lights. I've already sold a pair of my moving heads. I may keep my other pair for a little while longer and possibly shove them on top of the podiums and try and sell that as a upgrade package / part of my larger show.

Hopefully I'll have my new setup (minus mirrorballs) all setup on Friday and I'll turn the wash effects off so I can get a half decent picture.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I keep two halves of my screens taped together to save time & effort - then I only need to line up one join in the middle. Unless of course I'm only using 3 out of the 4 panels

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I keep two halves of my screens taped together to save time & effort - then I only need to line up one join in the middle. Unless of course I'm only using 3 out of the 4 panels
    Same here, only takes a few seconds, even with the terrible riveted gorilla one. Get out to the front of it, it makes it a lot easier for some reason (as opposed to doing it from behind). You will find it dead handy at the end as you can push it out and use it as a visual screen when packing away, which adds to your privacy, but also for health and safety reasons, as you wont get kids or drunk people straying into your area. Only thing is the bag it comes with (it did not even have one when it came out) - I am going back to a bike bag as the bags they supply are too small and crap quality.

A lot of DJ's would dismiss the screens over a more expensive booth, but most venue managers have complimented it and said it looks really in keeping with the venues decorations / ambiance. Clients the same. For the price its one of the best investments i have made, in an aesthetically and functional sense. I may look back in a few years and wonder what i am going on about, but I am happy at the moment, with it.
    Last edited by yourdj; 29-11-2016 at 02:18 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    A lot of DJ's would dismiss the screens over a more expensive booth, but most venue managers have complimented it and said it looks really in keeping with the venues decorations / ambiance.
    What spoils most booths is a poor star cloth - or the white overlays which go over a star cloth - always think they look naff.
    What spoils most screens are people putting cheap lighting effects behind them.

Keep them plain and sophisticated

For the record, I have had a Rhino Stand, Screens, S&H Booth, Palladin Booth and the Equinox Booth - NEVER had any venue mention them at all
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    So you tape all the way down the panel on top of the lycra? Or just the hinge? There is velcro all over the obvious places to tape the screens. Also if they fold together then when I put them in the annoyingly tight bag (as Toby pointed out) won't the black paint rub against each other in transit?

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    So you tape all the way down the panel on top of the lycra? Or just the hinge? There is velcro all over the obvious places to tape the screens. Also if they fold together then when I put them in the annoyingly tight bag (as Toby pointed out) won't the black paint rub against each other in transit?
    Mine didn't come with a bag (so I made one myself - long story involving a load of swearing, blood, sweat & more swearing)...

Anyhoo, I got the lycra, put it on each section so. Then I assemble two of the panels. One end & one of the middle two. Then I grab the black gagger tape & put it down the section where the hinges are. This stops light peeking through and serves to keep the panels together. Do likewise for the other side, and job done.

I don't find paint is getting spoiled on it due to rubbing or owt.. seems ok to me.

First outing with the new lights and setup. I must say I'm very happy with the outcome, the happiest I've been with my setup ever. Barrel scanner was set to 180/255 brightness as I didn't want to blind people being as the lights were head height. They also look excellent with a little haze.
    Changes made:

Added screen.
    Replace 5ft table with 4ft table so the screen tucks in nicely.
    2 new laptop stands.
    Swapped 4x XMOVE moving heads for 2x Chauvet Intimidator barrel 305IRC

I'm still putting the lighting stand infront on my table, the legs spread wide so they just tuck under the table and touch the bottom of the screen (the stand normally goes higher but the room was about 2 inches lower than the next hole for safety bolt, maybe I need to drill another hole).
    Also I accidently put 2 diffused par on the right and undiffused on the left instead of middle and sides, need to get diffusers for all of them as I reckon they look much nicer!

To my surprise a young lady reached over and put her drink on my table towards the end of the night, very odd!

I also did a comparitive test with light output, on the left 1 of the 5 beams from Chauvet Intimidator Barrel 305IRC at the same distance on the right we have an ADJ XMOVE+R.

Name:  new setup.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  40.9 KB
    Name:  new setup2.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  48.4 KB
    Name:  lights.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  12.7 KB