Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with new setup ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    er.. what lighting stand in the front?
    Sorry was refering the questions to UKpartydj. just quoted you as you were thinking of the screen too.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    My table, never rely on the venue. I sometimes put the stand behind me but it's a case of style over substance as they work best in front.

I guess if I had a screen then it would "hide" the stand in front. Maybe a starcloth might work on those screens to achieve the look I want without changing too much.

I think Toby is referring to my stands and table
    Yes all questions. Good you use your own table, looks like a metal legged strong tressle one too. A lot of venue have them hence the question. We have all done it, but I would love to see a DJ that relies on venue tables turn up and not have one to use (especially in marquees). I personally don't like the lighting there, so visual and safety reasons but its your set up. Screen makes like a lot easier, protects the heat better and looks neater IMO. Its the reason why so many DJ's use them now. that and the cost, although I don't think it looks any worth than a cheap booth.

i think as you have those trusses, something like this with some more powerful head would look miles nicer and not cost much more. I only use one bright uplighter and get the same effect on the screen/laptop. Also the laptop would be better protected as at some point it will be knocked off being so close to the dancing. You can then ditch the table and use something better maybe. I use my flight case and sub (see picture below). The only things i bring in and don't use are the covers for the speakers.

Name:  wedding_disco.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  decks copy.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  48.9 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 17-11-2016 at 01:03 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

My Quad Phase HP gets rigged to the upright section of the gigAbar tripod just under the 'cans' with a Global Truss F24 (32-35mm) clamp & gets plugged into the gigAbar's power output.

If I'm going 'all out' for a 21st or something I currently (though this is bound to change once I've played with my overhead ladder) put a scanner & goboflower on vertical poles into my deckstand. The scanners go at the top. I'll generally add my 2 RGB clusters on top of my speakers too in those cases.

And then if I'm really going all out I'll use 2 PAR bars - one gigAbar & one Teutonic thing - each either side of the stage with various lights mounted on top. If the stage is high the scanners can be mounted on my speaker stands - again using F24 clamps. It's really quite versatile, my rig IMHO.

At the heart of everything I do is always my gigAbar from Equinox. I never go to a gig without it.

Oh BTW, before any of the other safety police nab you - you really should face any tripod stand 'leg out' towards the crowd, not the way you had yours in the photo where it's in front of your rig.
    Excellent, thanks - depending on which way this goes I may move my mini-dekker up onto the stand with one of those then.

One could argue that sticking the leg out would cause a trip hazard though. I believe it was the lesser of two evils. Don't get me wrong I don't like the stand in front, it just does a good job every time.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Sorry was refering the questions to UKpartydj. just quoted you as you were thinking of the screen too.
    Yes all questions. Good you use your own table, looks like a metal legged strong tressle one too. A lot of venue have them hence the question. We have all done it, but I would love to see a DJ that relies on venue tables turn up and not have one to use (especially in marquees). I personally don't like the lighting there, so visual and safety reasons but its your set up. Screen makes like a lot easier, protects the heat better and looks neater IMO. Its the reason why so many DJ's use them now. that and the cost, although I don't think it looks any worth than a cheap booth.

i think as you have those trusses, something like this with some more powerful head would look miles nicer and not cost much more. I only use one bright uplighter and get the same effect on the screen/laptop. Also the laptop would be better protected as at some point it will be knocked off being so close to the dancing. You can then ditch the table and use something better maybe. I use my flight case and sub (see picture below). The only things i bring in and don't use are the covers for the speakers.
    Yes a lot of venue's do use them, in fact just a couple of weeks ago as I was packing away the venue kindly folded mine away by mistake. And I honestly don't know how DJs go about with no table / stand either, I've never gone anywhere expecting things from others other than a plug socket or 2 .

I may have to consider the podium setup it does concern me that it looks minamalistic though.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Minimalistic is all the rage these days dontcha know.

Some of the highest paid DJs in the land are going out with little more than a compact PA, a couple of wash panels & Wizards on sticks - and I'll bet nobody (but other DJs) moan about how little they use.

I forgot to mention the number one bugbear I have with my folding screens - PEOPLE LEAN ON THEM when I'm not on a stage. I always prefer NOT being on a stage though because it's a blimmin great big barrier between me & the crowd. I'm definitely NOT going out with my screens over the upcoming party season in my residency. Tipsy people at weddings is one thing - drunks at Christmas parties are a whole other level.

If something isn't adding something useful to your rig, eliminate it or replace it with something that will.

EDIT: regarding tripod leg direction - I think I'd rather somebody trip over a stand leg than inadvertently bring 18+ kilos of speaker down onto themselves. 2 sided scrims, love em or hate em (I've still not made my mind up yet) enhance visibiity no end.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 17-11-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Some of the highest paid DJs in the land are going out with little more than a compact PA, a couple of wash panels & Wizards on sticks - .
    And one white haired, competitively priced old git with a compact PA, two Swarm5s, and an Equinox batten.

Justin, I believe you've hit on the biggest failing of the folding screens. Once you've had a DSB, even an ordinary Ultimax is lacking in its ability to repel boarders.

Say what you like about lightboxes, stacked high enough, they were a good barrier.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

This is mainly what i use. As they say Wizzard on a stick
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Some of the highest paid DJs in the land are going out with little more than a compact PA, a couple of wash panels & Wizards on sticks - and I'll bet nobody (but other DJs) moan about how little they use.

I forgot to mention the number one bugbear I have with my folding screens - PEOPLE LEAN ON THEM when I'm not on a stage. I always prefer NOT being on a stage though because it's a blimmin great big barrier between me & the crowd. I'm definitely NOT going out with my screens over the upcoming party season in my residency. Tipsy people at weddings is one thing - drunks at Christmas parties are a whole other level.

If something isn't adding something useful to your rig, eliminate it or replace it with something that will.

EDIT: regarding tripod leg direction - I think I'd rather somebody trip over a stand leg than inadvertently bring 18+ kilos of speaker down onto themselves. 2 sided scrims, love em or hate em (I've still not made my mind up yet) enhance visibiity no end.
    The black table top cover in my podium photo earlier got put into storage fairly quickly because of people leaning / pulling it off so I can understand the frustration.
    I'm not sure what it is, when I look at the screens I don't feel massive love for them, probably the same as you feel towards scrims. If they end up being the best option then fair enough though.

Quote Originally Posted by surround sounds View Post
    I think that looks very neat and smart, probably would sell well... but just isn't "wow" enough for me I feel. I really enjoy my "band style" live controlled setup, maybe clients don't buy because of it, but they do notice and interact with UV, strobes and blackout etc and I like that

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    And one white haired, competitively priced old git with a compact PA, two Swarm5s, and an Equinox batten.

Justin, I believe you've hit on the biggest failing of the folding screens. Once you've had a DSB, even an ordinary Ultimax is lacking in its ability to repel boarders.

Say what you like about lightboxes, stacked high enough, they were a good barrier.
    I don't actually like DSBs much. But then I don't actually like my Ultimax AT ALL anymore. Too heavy, too cumbersome, too fiddly by far - and too big to boot. And the wheels - jesus I've had washing machines with better steering.

I like the idea of starcloths but every single one I've seen in person has looked tacky to me.

With regard to the folding screens, there has to be a fairly simple modification they can take to make them more sturdy once up. I'd have gone all out for the GDS type but for it casting a shadow on itself when you backlight it.

As for edge lit perspex... there's an American company farming them out as folding frontages & they look brilliant. The snag is the price. I started looking into Perspex's own edge lightable plastic & the prices made my eyes water. The idea is simplicity itself - you shine LEDs down 2 sides of it and as if by magic the light emanates from the front too, evenly across the whole panel. But it's like 60+ quid a square metre!

The nearest booth to something I like is the Paladin Innovations Casebooth. There's no waste - you carry it around & use the case as shelves. Ah but the price. OMG. Not much change (if any) out of £800. Jees, if I'm gonna spend that much... I'm figuring I can get something along those lines custom made at a local metalwork shop for less & tick all my boxes. That'll be a nice shock for another day.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 17-11-2016 at 09:03 PM.

And a rotund, balding, overpriced Southerner with 2 Partybars and a pair of Intimidator 305irc's on sticks

Amen to that
    Mine are out next weekend for a "bad taste" party (yes, I'll be wearing one of Dave's shirts too for the evening!)...they're impregnable

With regard to the folding screens, there has to be a fairly simple modification they can take to make them more sturdy once up.
    There is - I've done it
    A self tapper in back of the top of each panel, a lump of square section aluminium with keyholes to match said self tappers (this makes the screens stand straight and rigid rather than curving around), then stays bolted to the aforementioned square-section which bolt to the fold away table I use. Nice and sturdy and actually slots together in under 2 minutes

Haven't got a picture at the moment unfortunately, and the next two weeks are the wedding rig (Equinox booth) and Retro light screens. After that though, it's the "standard pub setup" all the way through to Xmas so I'll take a couple of photos of it in situ if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    but just isn't "wow" enough for me I feel.
    I think that looks great especially for weddings, much neater and tidier. Wizards are a great effect, with uplighting.
    Forget what we think why not ask the people that pay your bills. print off a picture of each set up and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    And a rotund, balding, overpriced Southerner with 2 Partybars and a pair of Intimidator 305irc's on sticks
    Or a southern happy go lucky, DJ whom is also realistically priced & prone to speaking out, to get a laugh without engaging his brain

Again as per above. Print off the below and the one posted in this thread and see what your clients/friends getting married like?
    My guess is they will go for the starlit booth, 2 wizards and bose sticks. I would!!

Albiet I am using my old lighting bar and I now hide the stands behind the screen.

Name:  UPWALTHAM.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  71.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    A self tapper in back of the top of each panel, a lump of square section aluminium with keyholes to match said self tappers (this makes the screens stand straight and rigid rather than curving around), then stays bolted to the aforementioned square-section which bolt to the fold away table I use. Nice and sturdy and actually slots together in under 2 minutes

In terms of crowd control, I gaffer my screen hinges so it comes in only 2 parts. On my xmas residency I put a chair between me and the screen and as its a hard floor, also gaffer it to the floor. Works a treat. I would buy a decent metal booth and have that and perhaps as well as the screen for events if it was rough enough, but never have the need.
    Last edited by yourdj; 17-11-2016 at 10:21 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I think that looks great especially for weddings, much neater and tidier. Wizards are a great effect, with uplighting.
    Forget what we think why not ask the people that pay your bills. print off a picture of each set up and see what they say.
    Good idea, I'm going to gather a few photos up and pester my friends.
    I asked my Fiancee last night to order which she liked best out of 3 images and this is what she said:

Name:  UPWALTHAM.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  71.0 KB
    Nothing, even when prompted but she said it was #2

Name:  wedding_disco.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  86.7 KB
    #1 This was her favorite, although she said it looks really big for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by surround sounds View Post
    #3 I cannot get the pictures but really surprisingly she said she didn't like this at all. She asked what "those weird things were on poles" I explained "wizards" and she said "they look more like Dementors"......