Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with new setup ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Good idea, I'm going to gather a few photos up and pester my friends.
    I asked my Fiancee last night to order which she liked best out of 3 images and this is what she said:

Nothing, even when prompted but she said it was #2

#1 This was her favorite, although she said it looks really big for no reason.

#3 I cannot get the pictures but really surprisingly she said she didn't like this at all. She asked what "those weird things were on poles" I explained "wizards" and she said "they look more like Dementors"......
    Are you not also showing the actual effect rather than just the fittings? A pair of Wizards in darkened room is impressive, a picture of the Wizard’s themselves much less so.

It was just a picture of the setup as posted before... let me see if I can be crafty and somehow attach the un-quotable image...

Quote Originally Posted by surround sounds View Post
    Aha! This picture. I can certainly see what she means about dementors, flying through the sky.

It's getting that balance right, most of my clients are new clients who've come through the website or similar. They'll likely book based on the image they see, in which case a starlit booth / maybe screen (still unsure about them) with podiums may be the way to go... but when the lights go down I doubt it'd have the same impact as my current show.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post

#3 I cannot get the pictures but really surprisingly she said she didn't like this at all. She asked what "those weird things were on poles" I explained "wizards" and she said "they look more like Dementors"......
    Interesting. The backdrop on my one and LOVE letters sell it tbh, rather than the screen and lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Are you not also showing the actual effect rather than just the fittings? A pair of Wizards in darkened room is impressive, a picture of the Wizard’s themselves much less so.
    Thats the point. Out of all of them i think in the flesh the S&H starlit booth looks the best, especially when the Wizards are turned on.
    But it goes to show a lot of clients now may bot want to see all the equipment, so minimising and maximising quality seems a good bet.
    I guess nightclubs have now gone this way as the lights have got smaller and they bland them in the with ceiling etc.

It seems the mega platinum roadshow with banks of speakers and ten million crap lighting effects is dead, at least for weddings anyway. I would say a nice line array sticks on poles, several very good lighting fixtures (often better on full control), uplighting/wash lighting and a nice booth is industry standard.
    Last edited by yourdj; 18-11-2016 at 04:29 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Not that I have any stats or figures to go by but, I think that the majority of customers out there aren't too bothered about what the set up looks like. I think it is more us that do. I'd like to think that someone browsing (for example), my website, would be more interested in what I am like as a DJ and the way I work.

Presentation is obviously important and I am sure all of us on here believe that, but isn't it about the music at the end of the day and giving the customer want they want? Ok, some customers may know exactly what they want in a set up etc, but in my experience, I can count on one hand those customers that have actually been bothered about what everything looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Not that I have any stats or figures to go by but, I think that the majority of customers out there aren't too bothered about what the set up looks like. I think it is more us that do. I'd like to think that someone browsing (for example), my website, would be more interested in what I am like as a DJ and the way I work.

Presentation is obviously important and I am sure all of us on here believe that, but isn't it about the music at the end of the day and giving the customer want they want? Ok, some customers may know exactly what they want in a set up etc, but in my experience, I can count on one hand those customers that have actually been bothered about what everything looks like.
    I’ve no pictures of my set-up on my websites and no one who’s booked me has ever asked which seems to bear this out.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I’ve no pictures of my set-up on my websites and no one who’s booked me has ever asked which seems to bear this out.
    I never did until last Summer. Since then I have had quite a few asking. Think I know part of the reason why (nothing to do with me) but sometimes think it is because they don't know what else to ask lol
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    It seems the mega platinum roadshow with banks of speakers and ten million crap lighting effects is dead, at least for weddings anyway.
    Nope, it's sadly very much still alive & well - and not at the budget end of the price spectrum either. Shudder. Ahh well, more fool them if they like spending 90 minutes each way.

I've been asked a few times recently about setup and what things look like. Could this possibly be a website vs word of mouth / phonecall thing though? Where on the website you must make more of an effort.

My personal experience suggests my clients do care to a certain extent, I have 2 couples visit me this month where they have specifically asked to see photos / examples and haven't actually asked to have a chat about their wedding day.

I guess I may be attracting different types of client.

In other news the pictures I've shown people have suggested most like the screens, don't like uncovered truss, prefer the look of the stick speakers and consider how it physically looks way before they think about light effects, interesting!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I have had 3 couples this year contact via my website ask specifically to have "columns and balls", which they mean plinths, spherons and additional uplighting.

All 3 couples said the look of the venue and equipment was really important to them.

A lot of discos even now look still like utter crap. Extension blocks dangling from stands, cables strewn at angles all over the place, gear in poor condition & loads of lights all doing their own thing, and all on at the same time. Starcloths & stand covers all creased or with holes in, lightboxes with too many bulbs out.. They're all things venues see on a regular basis. They're getting away with it because some punters don't care. It's a disco, right? Hahaha.