Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: ZLX12P or Alto TS212?

Question ZLX12P or Alto TS212?

Long story short, I'm being sent a brand new pair of EV ZLX12Ps due to a fault.

Someone local is selling a pair of the Alto's for £300 for the pair.

I'm considering buying the used pair and selling the brand new EVs, thoughts?

Thanks

I don't see what advantage you would get buying secondhand speakers although I haven't heard either of them I'm sure the EV's will be better , what if something goes wrong with the Altos ? I doubt you will get much more than £400 for the EV's just can't see the logic.

Buying second hand is fine so long as you know for sure how old they are and if they have been flogged to death or not.

After buying some second hand junk a couple of times I now only buy new.

Even buying new can be the wrong thing to do from some sources.
    I bought some razor blades off ebay. When they came they were not in sealed packet.
    They were absolutely blunt, someone had obviously used them then sold them on !

Yeah that's something that I hadn't thought about regarding if something was to go wrong.

Thanks for the advice.

The TS212 haven't been out for very long. I'd be slightly suspicious of their history even at that price. I like my altos but I know they're a budget speaker. Not the lowest end of the budget spectrum by any means but I'd almost bet my house on the EVs trouncing them in every aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    The TS212 haven't been out for very long. I'd be slightly suspicious of their history even at that price. I like my altos but I know they're a budget speaker. Not the lowest end of the budget spectrum by any means but I'd almost bet my house on the EVs trouncing them in every aspect.
    My TS210s weren't the best I've ever used, but they acquitted themselves fine on more than one occasion. I wouldn't have the knowledge to suggest that one was better than the other, but as the EV have already had a fault, perhaps Dean has lost confidence in them? It happens.

I'd like to hear them side by side, obviously before I gave an opinion.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I'm a bit of an EV fan and I picked up a set of ZLX15P's back in the summer to use as hire stock and for when I wanted a bit more bottom end than my RCF 12's can deliver.

The RCF's are still the best sounding speaker I've owned, but I do like the EV cabs as well. If I did it again, I'd probably pay the extra £400 per pair go for the higher power ELX15P's, but I've no regrets buying them. I've auditioned no end of Yamaha (DBR12's), FBT (X-Lite 12's and J12's) and Alto (TS110 and TS112) cabs and I personally think the EV's trounce the lot of them for tone and precision.

Sound is a personal thing though and I don't claim to have a perfect ear by a long shot

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography