Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Group speaker test, Birtley Buffs 22nd Nov 2016

Default Group speaker test, Birtley Buffs 22nd Nov 2016

A few localish DJs up my way are getting together on Tuesday 22nd Nov at Birtley Buffs club at 7pm to compare speakers.

Power consumption and SPL will be measured & steps are being taken to try & ensure a level playing field. It's not going to be the most scientific of tests by any means but should give a more accurate account of output specs than most manufacturers divulge. Obviously you'll be able to judge relative merits of all demoed speakers yourself but output levels will be measured regardless. This isn't a competition at all - just a forum for DJs to compare kit in context.

Local suppliers have been invited although as far as I know none have yet indicated whether they'd like to take part.

If you'd like to bring something along to demo drop me or AttackTheDancefloor (on this forum) a line.

Or if you'd prefer to just observe you're also very welcome too.

Entry is £2 each for all to cover hiring the room.

You are aware of the neighbourhood noise restrictions ?
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I'll clarify this then.

The venue are aware the event is for speaker testing & didn't voice any concerns.

Quality is important & any power testing will be kept as short as possible. This isn't Coalville after all. Just enough to get a good reading really which in all likelihood will be a few seconds of noise per speaker.

Subjective testing doesn't have to be done loud - IMHO it's better for all attendees if it's not.

Update: Due to inclement weather (riverloads of localised rain) this event is now postponed until next week. Exactly which day next week has not yet been established (sorting it out with the venue is taking some time)

Right then folks. We have an amended date - this Wednesday 30th November at 7pm at the same place.

Well then!

So folks, thanks again to everybody who supported our first ever soundoff event. After last week's rain-off I had reservations but you all blew them completely away.
    Here was the lineup - and excuse me if I get anything wrong or miss anything out I'm working from a sieve of a memory:
    LD Curv 500
    Mackie SRM450
    Alto TS115A Vibe
    DB Stage Opera 41.15 Bass bin
    RCF 705AS bin
    RCF 715 15" tops
    Wharfedale 12" er... something (sorry)
    DB Technologies ES-602 compact system
    LD Systems Maui 5
    RCF 712 12" tops
    FBT J12A
    FBT X-lite 12A
    FBT - CS1000
    RCF Evox 8
    JBL VRX932LAP and VRX918SP
    JBL Eon 12" something (I think was Callum's)
    Yamaha DXR10

As Mike said when we were all done, none of the systems demoed tonight could be described as poor. Far from it. They all do varying degrees of loudness & some sound markedly different to others but sound is very much a subjective thing.

The new FBT CS1000 was impressive for a 'compact' system but a few commented the weight might be a bit offputting. I definitely preferred its sound to the Evox 8 but it's way heavier too.

Of the traditional speakers I was quite pleased my own Mackie & Alto speakers held their own against all but the RCF 715 & FBT J12A. Not what I was expecting at all. For a speaker getting on for 15 years old & in flawless service despite taking a pounding... The Alto too, sounded very respectable against others in its group but as Mike eloquently pointed out you've got to be really careful not to pop em.

It was also interesting to note when putting speakers on & off stands where some of the cheaper models actually do better than the more expensive lines. The FBT J12A has ONE handle on the side & for a shorty like me it was tricky to get off the tripod confidently. The cheaper X-lites though.. 2 side handles & a top handle.. and a nice flat front.

I liked the LD Curv again - I was impressed the first time I heard it at BPM a year ago but less struck at Coalville when it seemed really quiet compared to others in its class. Tonight I think it definitely raised a few eyebrows - as did Mike & Nathan's brilliant LD Maui5.

Kris' big JBL system.. OMG. Really nice but way way way too much for the majority of us - maybe more suited to crowds of a few hundred.

The RCF tops, both the 12" and 15" versions sounded ace too. I was less impressed with the bass bin.

Kris' little Yamaha DXR10 could fair belt some sound out & was deceptively heavy for a 10" cab.

The DB 605 compact system is an absolute STEAL at £300 a side for what you get but it was pointed out how difficult it can be to break it down - removing the speakon connector from the top.. there's a knack to it I'm sure lol. Bear in mind it's now discontinued so spare parts might be tricky to get if it ever goes wonky.

The little Wharfedale 12" (Callum's I think) was very capable too & not at all harsh in the top end like he said it can be IMHO.

It was brilliant having so many participants behind this (let's not forget Mike & Nathan from Phase One!) & it'll pave the way for similar events in the future.