Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Pricing for a party.

Default Pricing for a party.

I was approached by one of our patrons last night about djing her daughters party early next year and too be honest I was a bit stumped. I've only done roller discos and we have a good regular crowd who come for the venue and me (hard to not make this sound too big headed) for the vibe and style of my music (I spend hours choosing the music and practicing the mixes and for the bits I'm skating making sure my automixed list is spot on). I do it for the love and to give a bit back to the skate people, so the offer of being paid was a bit of a novelty, but I said I'd check dates for discos we had booked and get back to her. She offered £200 which too me by surprise but I figured a 40 mile drive each way and 2.5 hours of disco (she doesn't want games or anything just the tunes and lights) sounded fair. Is that the sort of going rate for a 2.5 hours party or should I be asking more or less?
    I was told a church hall so I reckon my peavey pro 15s and phonic amp will probably cover it but I may stick in the bass bins and jmc amp too just so I can cover a bigger size if needed my lights are more than up to it too (large sports halls are my usual venues).

I've also had enquiries for another local dj to cover large venues he can't, I'm not bothered but said I'd help out if he needed it, but I have no idea on pricing things like this. I don't want to make a load of false pricing enquiries to get market knowledge as I am not looking into getting into the biz and treading on toes, I'm just looking to be fair to people who approach me.

Thanks,

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by drcarlos View Post
    I was approached by one of our patrons last night about djing her daughters party early next year and too be honest I was a bit stumped. I've only done roller discos and we have a good regular crowd who come for the venue and me (hard to not make this sound too big headed) for the vibe and style of my music (I spend hours choosing the music and practicing the mixes and for the bits I'm skating making sure my automixed list is spot on). I do it for the love and to give a bit back to the skate people, so the offer of being paid was a bit of a novelty, but I said I'd check dates for discos we had booked and get back to her. She offered £200 which too me by surprise but I figured a 40 mile drive each way and 2.5 hours of disco (she doesn't want games or anything just the tunes and lights) sounded fair. Is that the sort of going rate for a 2.5 hours party or should I be asking more or less?
    I was told a church hall so I reckon my peavey pro 15s and phonic amp will probably cover it but I may stick in the bass bins and jmc amp too just so I can cover a bigger size if needed my lights are more than up to it too (large sports halls are my usual venues).

I've also had enquiries for another local dj to cover large venues he can't, I'm not bothered but said I'd help out if he needed it, but I have no idea on pricing things like this. I don't want to make a load of false pricing enquiries to get market knowledge as I am not looking into getting into the biz and treading on toes, I'm just looking to be fair to people who approach me.

Thanks,

Carl
    £200 sounds like a very fair offer Carl (I’m assuming the daughter is quite young so would be classed as a kids party).

Covering for the other DJ might need a bit more thinking depending on the hours and what’s expected, but I’d say you want exactly what he would be getting if he did it himself, anything less and someone is making money out of you for doing nothing.

There’s no hard and fast rules about how much you have to charge, as long as you're covering your costs and expenses and are happy with what’s left then it’s all good.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    £200 sounds like a very fair offer Carl (I’m assuming the daughter is quite young so would be classed as a kids party).
    I don't know about your area, but for a two and a half hour party, I'd say it's indeed very fair.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    There’s no hard and fast rules about how much you have to charge, as long as you're covering your costs and expenses and are happy with what’s left then it’s all good.
    Correctamundo.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Thanks I'll take this one as I've found out I'm free of roller disco duties that day. I'll see how things go, nothing ventured and all that. I'll at least have an idea if I'm approached in future.

Carl

Considering the distance you have to travel £200 sounds OK.

Pricing depends on how you want to run your business.
    Some people are out to make as much money as possible so tend to ask higher prices.

In my final years as a DJ I was very cheap (sub £100) but I cherry picked which gigs I took on.

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post

Pricing depends on how you want to run your business.
    Some people are out to make as much money as possible so tend to ask higher prices.
    Totally. Also the relationship you have with the client. If your happy with that fee and think you can deliver a good service then why not.
    I am not a fan of travelling (at all), but if that was up the road, a quiet time of year and was for an older age group (16+), then I would do it.

I am surprised about no games, as younger kids tend to get bored very quickly. I would come prepared to do less 'sit around a circle kids' and more 'who's the best dancer', 'boys against girls' group stuff like that to keep them engaged. If you don't need it then great, but at least you have it. I am guessing the girl has said to mummy 'I don't want anything like that cheesy clown DJ at school', when in reality, it may not work playing just music, depends on the kids who come.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

have no idea on pricing things like this. I don't want to make a load of false pricing enquiries to get market knowledge
    I have a lot of respect for you for that.

I don't want to make a load of false pricing enquiries to get market knowledge as I am not looking into getting into the biz and treading on toes, I'm just looking to be fair to people who approach me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Well Shaun, considering the OP appears to live in Tobyland, ( or thereabouts ) I'm not convinced that any figures you and I give him will be of immense value.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Me too !

Although it would do no harm to get to know a few local DJs (in person not online) and asking what they charge to help you get a ball park figure to start. I do this, I know a lot of my competitors fees, and likewise they know mine. Thing is, we can also get the same enquiry and also talk to each other about it, as there is no undercutting or backstabbing. Some enquiries I win, some others win, but when starting out it is good to know if you are on the right track.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk