Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Each to their own and if our sites were all the same life would be dull but being in the middle of doing my own wedding planning ( I say middle, it's just around the corner!!!) I've been keeping tabs on what has drawn me to certain suppliers and what has put me off.

My main findings:

A good looking website is key

Someone who only operates via facebook or has a [email protected] address won't be seeing any of my money

A personal website (i.e. one that sounds like the person is speaking to you - not using the 3rd person) is also quite compelling...

As a somewhat pertinent aside - however many awards you've got or nominations received, I don't really care to be honest.

So there you have it from the horses mouth or the donkeys back end
    I'm in the same boat, we both loved our photographers website as it was just so open and honest and when we met her it was like we already knew her. It inspired me to be less formal with my website.

Although I can imagine some people don't appreciate that style and likely they wouldn't be ideal clients for me though.

Also if Benny you truly did not see what me and Toby saw, I must advise you visit your opticians!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I'm in the same boat, we both loved our photographers website as it was just so open and honest and when we met her it was like we already knew her. It inspired me to be less formal with my website.

Although I can imagine some people don't appreciate that style and likely they wouldn't be ideal clients for me though.

Also if Benny you truly did not see what me and Toby saw, I must advise you visit your opticians!
    I cant imagine who wouldn't want a more personalised experience though.

Our wedding venue is amazing. Were in fairly regular for drinks and dinner and the manager is always over asking us how we are, using our first names, and the bar staff even know our favourite co jtails now. The gaffer gave us a free round the other week and gave my brother a free meal when a client stood him up for a meeting there.

Flip that, a few pals have got married in mega popular award winning venues - the coordinators couldn't remember their names or date, booked holidays when they'd scheduled in tastings a nd so on

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I cant imagine who wouldn't want a more personalised experience though.

Our wedding venue is amazing. Were in fairly regular for drinks and dinner and the manager is always over asking us how we are, using our first names, and the bar staff even know our favourite co jtails now. The gaffer gave us a free round the other week and gave my brother a free meal when a client stood him up for a meeting there.

Flip that, a few pals have got married in mega popular award winning venues - the coordinators couldn't remember their names or date, booked holidays when they'd scheduled in tastings a nd so on
    And on the flip side of that, I have booked a DJ for my wedding who uses third person speak on their website. On top of that, he is providing me with a personalised service as do I with all my clients. I would actually put the level of service I provide with regards to personalisation against anyone's. The venue we're getting married at says that 'X is a stunning wedding venue that has been planning, co-ordinating and catering for weddings since XYZ" They too refer to themselves in the third person but the level of service I get from them as a customer and as a regular supplier is beyond personal.

Just because the website is in third person does not mean that the service is not as personable.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    And on the flip side of that, I have booked a DJ for my wedding who uses third person speak on their website. On top of that, he is providing me with a personalised service as do I with all my clients. I would actually put the level of service I provide with regards to personalisation against anyone's. The venue we're getting married at says that 'X is a stunning wedding venue that has been planning, co-ordinating and catering for weddings since XYZ" They too refer to themselves in the third person but the level of service I get from them as a customer and as a regular supplier is beyond personal.

Just because the website is in third person does not mean that the service is not as personable.
    I never said that it meant the service is lacking but subjectively what sells "personable" more - 1st or 3rd person speak?

If you send your clients an e-mail response which do you use... I reckon I know the answer.

If you send your clients an e-mail response which do you use... I reckon I know the answer.
    Apples and oranges. The website is a general form of advertising aimed to appeal to as many people as possible. The email reply is part of the service delivered to a specific individual. Of course they would differ.

The website is a general form of advertising aimed to appeal to as many people as possible.
    Wrong. The website is designed to reach the niche that you market to.

That niche should know that your service is exactly what they are looking for.

In fact, the clients you don't want to work for should be put off by your website.

My website is purposefully designed to highlight that I am not a cheap DJ - in fact I'm the most expensive in the area. Those on a budget will click away quickly.

Just because a venue has generic third-person text doesn't mean you have to. Whilst they may provide excellent, personal service, they're not communicating it effectively on their website.

10 years ago, just having a website was enough.

Now, everyone has a website, so it's about having an exceptional website that will make it stand out.

Benny, I'm so pleased you've got a copywriter involved, as it makes a massive difference.

Many people are now understanding that it's worth paying a designer to build the site - but are still letting their site down with bad words (often written by themselves).

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Wrong. The website is designed to reach the niche that you market to.

That niche should know that your service is exactly what they are looking for.

In fact, the clients you don't want to work for should be put off by your website.
    Let me qualify - appeal to as many people as possible within your target market.

Whilst they may provide excellent, personal service, they're not communicating it effectively on their website.
    I'm sorry, but I cannot agree with this statement. I'm not saying what I have written is effective, and the copywriter will get the veto, but I have seen many examples of services being spoken about in the third person that portrays very well the level of service that they provide. There are a lot of examples of services falling down on this but that doesn't mean it cannot be done effectively, and as someone who has used the services of individuals who use this technique I can very much vouch that it can be done effectively.

Excalibur begs to differ. ( You see what I did there)?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I like the site, its a little masculine (must have been done by a bloke) but its nice and as i have said the photos are good. If the site was mainly 3rd person, I would want to know who I am booking (personally) - my one criticism is that you don't look very friendly on the photo about you section and your nephew looks like he is on his phone. i think a really nice portrait of you all not Djing as well smiling would really attract brides.

This is ours the photo is from our Photo Booth. its a little cheesy, but the business is designed to be friendly and personal. The sort of people you would want to invite to a dinner party (or wedding). If it was phat events then I would make the photos a bit more trendy, which would suit your business better. http://yourdj.co.uk/meet-your-southampton-dj/

Name:  birmingham-dj-benny-symth.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  25.7 KB

Ours isn't, but its backed up with a lot of personal videos and loads of real testimonials.
    The advice section also helps make it more warm & we are really busy.

Our "no cheese guarantee" is a blinder in picking people that don't want naff music.
    Also 'if you looking for a cheap DJ then, perhaps we are not the right service for you?'

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I don't think gentleman comes into it, i am just good at looking at photos. I would notice a massive crotch bulge also, which would probably help you more if your trying to attract mostly brides. For the record, i find women who hang out their cleavages like that repulsive. I wont say anymore for fear of upsetting someone (this is when you tell me its your sister LOL).
    Last edited by yourdj; 15-12-2016 at 08:30 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Thanks for your thoughts all. I've purposely waited a few days before responding to see what the general consensus is.

The reason that the copy that's on there at the moment is in the third person is actually for two reasons. Firstly, I'm not a fan of the "My name is Dave of Dave Double Decks, and I am X, I can do Y and bring you Z" style. I understand why folk do it, but it really grates against me. Secondly, I believe that the best form of advertising is to have other people talk about you and that's kinda the feel that I am aiming for - that it is someone else singing my praises. Like I say though, my copy writer is on the case with coming up with some content and if they over rule me, then so be it.

I'll look to change the third image in the slider. I'll be honest and tell you that I actually didn't notice the thing that Toby and David highlighted (minus ten man points for me) as I saw the folk dancing. Clearly it's because I am a true gentleman and don't notice such things.
    On the point of speaking/writing in the 3rd person, I don't really get why anyone in a personality-orientated industry such as ours would not want to blow their own trumpet, so to speak. A DJ's USP is the DJ him/herself and if that DJ can't shout about themselves from the rooftops then I'd question their belief in themselves. If you don't believe in you then why expect potential clients to do so? Testimonials come along in the testimonial section of a website. You don't need them in the opening narrative.

That's my opinion, anyway, and everybody has their own. It would be interesting to do an experiment and run two identical websites side by side but changing the narrative in one to the third person and just see how effective they are compared with each other. I'm "retiring" this weekend so maybe that's an experiment someone else may wish to take up!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!