Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Website

Thinking about it some DJs are awful at writing their website.

I'm not great at face to face meetings, I nearly always get the bookings but I've brought my fiancée with me twice and she's pointed out some real "why would you say that" things I never noticed I did.

Maybe Benny isn't a good writer?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I like the 3rd person approach Benny’s used.

Imagine reading half a dozen sites with the usual 'I am...’, We are..’ etc and then coming across one written in a different style, it gets the attention. And by repetition it’s also getting Benny’s name firmly stuck in their minds, there’s not a company name and then a separate DJ's real name to remember either.

There’s also something about contacting a company and getting a reply from the person it’s named after. I’ve experienced that on two occasions recently while planning my own wedding (one a jeweller and the other a tailor) and dealing directly with the companies namesake really added to the experience.

I actually think he could go a bit further with the name/brand concept.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    There’s also something about contacting a company and getting a reply from the person it’s named after.
    I second this. A quite recent NaD example springs to mind. A DJ signed up using his own name which was quite an unusual name, but very catchy, memorable and might be found in a thesaurus against 'trustworthy'. He got a lot of bookings in a very short time for a new member, with good feedback following on. Then he changed the company name to Someshire Events (or something similarly meaningless) and the booking rate dropped off considerably.

Now it could be that as a new member he was undercutting like crazy, but having just had a peek through some stats I can say that isn't the case.

So although an isolated example, this supports Martin's supposition and is something I'm looking forward to trying with a future project.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I like the 3rd person approach Benny’s used.

Imagine reading half a dozen sites with the usual 'I am...’, We are..’ etc and then coming across one written in a different style, it gets the attention. And by repetition it’s also getting Benny’s name firmly stuck in their minds, there’s not a company name and then a separate DJ's real name to remember either.

There’s also something about contacting a company and getting a reply from the person it’s named after. I’ve experienced that on two occasions recently while planning my own wedding (one a jeweller and the other a tailor) and dealing directly with the companies namesake really added to the experience.

I actually think he could go a bit further with the name/brand concept.
    I've just gone back through the suppliers I've booked and their websites. To my surprise, it's exactly as you say - every single one is "we are a professional comapny" or of that style. Not a single "I'm David, here's what I do", which is my approach. None have the 3rd person approach either which I associate with artists and more famous people so I guess it's not a stupid idea potentially.

Interetesing point, so basically the company inflates their brand using the 3rd person, they now sound like a big deal but when you contact them they provide that personal service... It could work with the right sorts I guess.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    He got a lot of bookings in a very short time for a new member,
    Maybe this explains why YOUR DJ, gets loads of enquiries and Phat events gets next to nothing.

We are working on Phat this year and I will bear this in mind as its quite definitely 3rd person.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Okie dokey.

The third slider should be remedied before Christmas (hopefully), and I have changed my 'profile' picture in the About section. It, as was it's predecessor, is a temporary solution as I need to book in a studio shoot (I can't use the previous shoot as I'm no longer that 16 stone fat sod in those pictures!). I agree with Toby that the last image wasn't all that welcoming (my nephew, in his defence, was controlling the lighting but there's no reason for anybody but me and him to know that and he does look like he is on his phone), but I'm hopeful this new one is a bit more inviting.