Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mic problems

Default Mic problems

Since i changed my playout to a Denon mcx 8000 i was having various issues with getting enough volume and clarity,a mate suggested i change to a condenser mic that needs phantom power so i purchased a shure 87a what a difference no feed back and lots of volume,i have always used good quality mics like sm58 but this just blows them away with the sheer quality.

Interesting, they ate quite pricey for microphones though. £200+ for a non-wireless mic, ouch! I'd expect to pay that for a studio mic.

I guess at least you know that it'll last and hold good its value for years!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Interesting, they ate quite pricey for microphones though. £200+ for a non-wireless mic, ouch! I'd expect to pay that for a studio mic.

I guess at least you know that it'll last and hold good its value for years!
    £ 140.00 trade and as i think the mic is the most important thing with the type of jobs i do a bargain.

Since the MCX8000 doesn't have phantom power, that'll be another box you've got to take with you & plug in then. Why is it controller manufacturers haven't cottoned on yet? We need decent mic stages!

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Since the MCX8000 doesn't have phantom power, that'll be another box you've got to take with you & plug in then. Why is it controller manufacturers haven't cottoned on yet? We need decent mic stages!
    I know what you mean most manufacturers only cater for mix djs and dont realize that some of us want to talk,i used to use a pioneer djm 500 that was super on the mic section mind you the mcx8000 is better than most but i am extra fussy.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    Since i changed my playout to a Denon mcx 8000 i was having various issues with getting enough volume and clarity,a mate suggested i change to a condenser mic that needs phantom power so i purchased a shure 87a what a difference no feed back and lots of volume,i have always used good quality mics like sm58 but this just blows them away with the sheer quality.
    I've never really been a big fan of the SM58 due to the fact it doesn't play nicely with any of my Senny's. Put them together for a karaoke duet and the feedback can be horrendous. I prefer to use my PG48s. A good sound and plays much nicer with the other mics!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I use the Shure Beta 58A which, pricewise, falls in between of the SM58 and 87A. Perfect for me and the right price.

The Beta 87a is the best mic in my collection (and I have quite a few top brand ones!) I wish there was a phantom stage on DJ controllers too, that's why I hardly use it except when singing (via the 16 channel desk).

Your mic quality is so important...too many DJs go for the cheapo options, even though they're using decent mixers and PA. Shame really.
    DJ Ian Scott
    www.djianscott.com

"The Earth has music for those who listen."

The last Mic's I bought were about 10 years ago.
    They were 3 for a tenner at Maplins.
    Still using the first one.
    Sound absolutely fine and no problems with feed back.

Default just purchased one

just purchased a mint condition Shure 87a on flea bay for 100.00 and now need to work out best way to power it.
    I have a phonic power pod which uses phantom power but its a bit big and as someone said in this thread "its another box to carry around"
    can anyone recommend a small power unit that would work well with one of these mikes?