Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: What should you play after the 1st dance?

Default What should you play after the 1st dance?

Earlier in the year I had a wedding where no contact had been forthcoming from the residency's customer - except to say the 1st dance would be provided on a CD. Yippee, said I, for my new laptop has nowhere to put one. Ah but my backup laptop does.

Before you could say 'format shifting' I had it on a USB stick & safely on my playout system. I gave the track a prelisten & my heart SANK. Jees, if this what they're into I am STUFFED. Thankfully no, and it was a very good night indeed.

But, oh.. the look on some people's faces..

Last edited by Nakatomi; 12-12-2016 at 10:39 PM.

Grrr. Youtube pulled the audio, then my first attempt to get it on Vimeo got stuck in processing.

And now, at last:

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Grrr. Youtube pulled the audio, then my first attempt to get it on Vimeo got stuck in processing.

And now, at last:
    Justin, it appears to me that the link isn't embedding correctly. Totally out of my area of expertise, the Technocrats may know what's wrong, I don't.

The simple way, here's the link.

https://vimeo.com/195379740
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Working ok for me.

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Working ok for me.
    And now for me also on the tablet. I'll check later. Technology, eh?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Justin, it appears to me that the link isn't embedding correctly. Totally out of my area of expertise, the Technocrats may know what's wrong, I don't.

The simple way, here's the link.

https://vimeo.com/195379740
    Can you ask whoever sorts the technical to put Vimeo embedding on the site. It works for Youtube but not Vimeo. Perhaps it has been done on purpose as all my videos are on Vimeo now

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    But, oh.. the look on some people's faces..

This music is called bounce or something like that - Northerners love this stuff! Put a donk on it charted, although this is a remix I think?

Tough at the start, especially if you have not met the couple or had any communication. With the wrong crowd, this would fail dismally. I love it when clients ask for second track to be Brightside 'to get everyone dancing', when in reality it will often do the opposite. Unless they are adement, I try and get them to supply another slower one and judge it on the night.

I think I would get all the bridal party on side and completely change the lighting if they asked for that, and make it clear that its the bride and grooms choice. You may get mistaken for this chap otherwise

Last edited by yourdj; 13-12-2016 at 06:00 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

LOL Toby it's called bounce or something like that? Yeah those flat cap wearing whippet keeping types absolutely love it. Nothing quite like bouncing with a bottle of newky brown in each hand to a bit of donk. Hahaha. No

Anyway - I had no idea & it was pretty much a regular wedding disco after that thank GOD. Had they wanted to have more of the same (Breeze & Styles, Clubland, or (SHUDDER!) DJ CAMMY) I'd have been pretty sunk after 5 or 6 tunes.

I always used to take a pretty laid back route after the first dance but recently couples have been requesting things move along pretty fast afterwards. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I play it by ear now - I'm not stuck in my ways

I found it really funny how people thought it was me ripped Van Morrison off the decks & put that crap on though.

First Dance before the buffet. That creates a nice defining line between the formalities of the day and the informality of the night time party.

Musically, the bouncy bouncy stuff is called Niche around Sheffield. Or e by me.

Track is by blackout crew and called (funnnily enough) put a donk on it.
    It's called donk (coming from the sound that sounds like a drainpipe being hit with a lump of wood), it's a sub genre of the happy hardcore scene and originates from Wigan, specifically the all nighters held at Wigan pier.
    Donk is Not my cup of tea really, I was out of the scene over 10 years by then. I'd love to do an event and be asked for some rave music, the 95 style happy hardcore is what I cut my mixing teeth with and I reckon I could play a decent set of 95 style back early 90s breakbeat, I reckon I have about 500 tracks to choose from.
    I did drop in the ruffer mix of let me be your fantasy, criminal minds baptised by dub, the 95 mix of awesome 3 don't go and Praga khans injected with a poison last night at my roller disco residency and they went down well with 2 people stopping and complementing on the choices.

Carl