Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video projector for photos/vids

Default Video projector for photos/vids

So I have purchased a Video projector for my mother in law's funeral as nobody in the family has one. (One of the family is putting together a photo montage with some music).
    Providing a projector for weddings wasn't something I wanted to get particularly involved in but as this circumstance cropped up I thought I may as well buy one and sell it as an add-on service.
    I know nothing about these but think I have bought a reasonable one and it's on it's way to me. It is an LED 4000lm, Max Res: 1920 x 1200, Native Res: 1024x768, Built in WiFi, Built in Android. I think the WiFi/Android capability could be beneficial for the customer. What do you guys think?
    I already have a fairly big screen at 5'.

My questions are: Do you provide a laptop with it for the customer to use? Do you operate it or just set it up and let them do their own thing with it? How much would be a sensible price? (An evening wedding disco is £250 for me) £50 maybe?

Any help/tips about this area appreciated as I've never used a video projector in my life!

I can't give you any direct advice based on experience, I've briefly considered providing video projection as a 'dry hire' service but since I'm a bit of a technophobe these days, I decided against it, I just don't want the potential hassle. However, I think the £50 fee you are considering sounds far too cheap to me, others may tell you different.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

i use an Optima EH something or other. Cost £2000 and was banded as the dogs nuts on a monogram group, so thought that it would be a good investment. Its lovely, but the onboard video and image processing is crap. You would think that they would install Android and a decent processor wouldn't you!! I bought one of these and it plays most formats. You can get a separate power adapter that goes off the USB, dead easy.

I am not a fan of projectors for speeches as you need the throw distance and the clarity is not great so I prefer the screen.

Name:  Gift-Free-Shipping-1080p-Full-HD-Ultra-Portable-HDMI-Digital-Media-Player-for-USB-Drives-and.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  222.1 KB

With regards to clients using it, i would for presentations, because if the speech goes wrong its not your responsibility and they will also know how to use their laptop. For interactive slideshows I use iMovie and make a video on loop, works a treat: http://yourdj.co.uk/tv-screen-led-photo-slideshow/

I charge £75 just for the TV, £125 with as pre recorded slideshow. It runs demo the USB drive so its no sweat to set up.
    £90 for the projector on its own, which i recon is a bit cheap, but its speculative on your fee I guess?

Projector mainly gets used for this:

Name:  IMG_0323.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  57.9 KB

And the TV:

Name:  IMG_0116.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  175.7 KB

Good luck with it, I have found mine great fun. I did a halloween projection this week on the wall during a wedding fair, it looked awesome!!
    Last edited by yourdj; 29-10-2016 at 08:37 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I do dry hire for a projector short throw rear projection and you get a 6 ft screen pick up and return to me £ 80.00 no vat the customer provides there own laptop very popular,cost originally £ 1600.00

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    I do dry hire for a projector short throw rear projection and you get a 6 ft screen pick up and return to me £ 80.00 no vat the customer provides there own laptop very popular,cost originally £ 1600.00
    I was going to mention short throw, but as he had already bought one did not want to say anything. I looked into the short throws, a great option for speeches for sure, especially with function rooms that are maxed out. They are pretty costly as Tony said, especially the new slimline against the wall ones. 3,500 lumens should suffice for short distances.
    Last edited by yourdj; 29-10-2016 at 09:56 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Received it today and had a play. Really easy to set up. Just plugged in the USB2 cable and it immediately showed my laptop screen so no fiddling about!
    I get a 5' picture from just under 2 metres and it looks nice and bright. The definition is slightly grainy but I think it's good enough to use. Brand new and only cost £200 so am well pleased. Just done my halloween gigs for the year but will use it next year to project an old black and white dracula movie onto the booth, me and back wall. Should look really cool. I've been booked for some more after-show parties at my local theatre and will set up some themed stuff to project as well. This is going to be a lot of fun! I've already offered it as an extra for a ruby anniversary job I've just bid for through Bark. 4 hires and it's paid for!

Correction. Not USB2 at all. It's HDMI I plugged in to make it work!

Our projector in action on Saturday night. At around a foot from the screen (I've never actually measured it). The screen is around 1.75 - 2m wide (again, I've never measured it). Can't find the exact details, HD image up to a certain size, but still a crisp image to 80 inches & a perfectly good picture going bigger than that (have filled our living room wall)

Name:  Ricoh Projector.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  36.0 KB

http://www.ricoh.co.uk/products/projectors/ultra-short-throw-projectors/pjwx4141ni.aspx?view=features

http://www.ricoh.co.uk/Images/PJWX41...t_66-68089.pdf

Last edited by Corabar Steve; 01-11-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

I can certainly see the benefits of a short throw projector. Will see how I get on with this one and, if it proves popular enough, will look at getting a better one. Will likely try to find an led one if I trade up.
    Have now added it to my website home page as an "Optional extra" and will see how it goes!
    Last edited by musicology; 02-11-2016 at 07:29 PM.

I emailed all my customers last night who have booked me to let them know I have added this as a service. One has has already got back and added it. This could be a good move!