Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speeding up the dreaded setup take down process

Cables wise I have 2 boxes. One for audio & dmx then one for all the power cables.

What I tend to do before plugging any lead in is go round the rig dropping each cable where it needs to start its journey. That saves me going back & forth between rig & cable box.

Be methodical, if not clinical

It typically takes me 55 minutes to load in & setup my entire rig:
    One bin
    2 active tops
    Gigabar
    Quad phase hp
    Hazer
    2 clusters
    2 scanners
    2 equinox power flowers
    1 washfx
    Folding screen

Doing it tidily takes longer though especially if I have to spread out on a large stage.

I've still not used any of my overhead bars in anger yet. That's a job for the new year I think.

I reckon my Gigabar is going to be replaced by 2 chauvet washfx units & the scanners are going to be sold on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Can you show us what you mean Toby?
    Similar although I have gaffer the outer two hinges, so that all thats required to fit is the one middle one. Comes in 2 then.

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I actually like setting up
    Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Sometimes you’re not in control of the time
    I like setting up but I also like to know that in an emergency or quick set up it wont take more than 15 mins at a fast pace. Sound on in 5 mins at least. In my own time it would take a max of 30 mins with full uplighting also. You have a very similar set up to me Colin

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I have had a look around and did let see anything available

Colour coding cable... Excellent idea, I bet if I had the exact cables
    I use coloured Vandamme cables, for different uses, they are instantly recognisable. They are not cheap but are worth every penny as they are SO NICE. Blue for my Yamaha & red for my iPad. All of them are loomed with electrical tape keeps everything together. I don't use active tops, which means I save time not putting power to them, which saves a bit of time.

Name:  van-damme-pro-grade-guitarinstrument-cable-neutrik-14-jack-straight-to-ra.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  23.1 KB

This is what you want: https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_zubeh..._120_40_40.htm

Name:  10695392_800.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  46.8 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    How can you say that? Time is money!
    Granted, but money isn't everything. I am just saying that I quite like doing it.

I have quick turn around weddings and can do it in 40 mins, but some times I like to get there early and take my time.

With my roadie , set up time is 25 minutes, take down time is 15-20 minutes , I feel this is a quick as it will ever be , I dont like to rush things
    Things to get longer if there are stairs involved , or a long carry

Cheers

daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Thanks, I think I'll look into a bigger case for playout, I have had a look around and did let see anything available which seemed the right size
    Something like this usually has enough space at the back and underneath to store cables, I might even have one that will fit an S5, I’ll check the measurements.

http://www.theflightcasecompany.com/...FYQW0woduBAHQw

The glaring thing I can see there gear wise is the playout.

That took a big chunk out of my time until I got a big flight case that now houses my controller, wireless mic and receiver, spare batteries and all the wiring barring the XLRs.

I open it up - plug the multi that powers all the stuff in, stick the controller USB cable into my main laptop, run xlrs out to my speakers and my playout is ready to go live... it used to take me about 10 minutes to unpack, unwind and wire everything up...

How you go about setting stuff up is crucial too I mean if you're light trussing is pre wired there's not much you can shave off there but be smart about how you set things up and always do it in the same order so your muscle memory kicks in and you can get it done faster.

Use your energy wisely - if you're powering up - don't grab a cable, plug a light in, grab a cable plug a light in, grab a cable, plug your speakers in - work out what you need for each side or segment of the rig and take that amount of cables with you.

Same for tear down - remove cables as you go - if I'm taking the top off my nano I get the xlrs, power, speakons etc... stripped and ready to be bagged up too.

Carry as much as you can in as few cases and bags as you can/.

The best thing I bought last year was a huge magma gig bag that carries my 2 laptops, power cables and spares, spare mic and a few other playout spare leads, my camera and my change of gear - I can carry that on my back, load my rock n roller and move my lite console in the UDG bag all in one go - if I have a flat run at it I can do a run in one go....

I've just set it all up in my lounge and timed myself and the current method takes just over 6 minutes to plug everything in to the point where I just need the XLRs for speakers, power to the extention, DMX to the laptop etc.

Something like this usually has enough space at the back and underneath to store cables, I might even have one that will fit an S5, I’ll check the measurements.

http://www.theflightcasecompany.com/...FYQW0woduBAHQw
    Thanks, but I reckon if I get a much bigger flight case big enough to put the controller, the mini mixer, the microphone, headphones, dmx controller, chargers, extention lead and the 2 laptops in with a sliding laptop shelf ALL connected except cables to the laptop so it's just plug in extention lead, connect XLRs & the USB leads I reckon I can get it down to a single minute.

The problem is the only case that I can find that's near big enough with the sliding laptop shelf is the monster DDJSZ flight case which is a tiny bit smaller than what would be ideal I think and I'd probably have to cut a chunk out of the laptop shelf to allow my light T-Bar to be nice and snug to my table (unless I don't have to fully extend the laptop shelf out (never had a sliding laptop shelf).

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Just done all the measurements and for £109 the ddj sz case will fit everything in much better than I thought.
    Can laptop shelves stop halfway or do they click into place when fully extended? Only reason being is if the shelf doesn't extend fully no need to take a saw to it.

Just done all the measurements and for £109 the ddj sz case will fit everything in much better than I thought.
    Can laptop shelves stop halfway or do they click into place when fully extended? Only reason being is if the shelf doesn't extend fully no need to take a saw to it.
    The shelf doesn’t have to extend all the way out, it’ll stay in place wherever you put it, but you'll want to be able to reach all your controls so you might not have a choice. I add a few extra inches depth by putting the case front over the edge of my booth's shelf, it’s stable enough like that.

The shelf doesn’t have to extend all the way out, it’ll stay in place wherever you put it, but you'll want to be able to reach all your controls so you might not have a choice. I add a few extra inches depth by putting the case front over the edge of my booth's shelf, it’s stable enough like that.
    Brilliant that'll work great then! I don't need the extra depth, a DDJSZ is 42cm deep and my S5 is a 32cm so I can bring the shelf 10cm closer in theory! Got a tonne of proper foam padding, a stanley knife and a hot glue gun at the ready so I'll hopefully have a lovely snug fitting super quick setup for playout if all works as I expect.