Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speeding up the dreaded setup take down process

If you can fit everything into the ssx case then go for it. At the end of the night I uplug the xlrs, roll up the adapter and USB, put the lid on and that's the playout done - it takes literally about 10 seconds...

Incrimental gains is what I was getting at earlier on when talking about the actual setting up process itself. I can't really tell from your video but do you have a system of where everything is during set up? It looks like you're having to go to a big pile of gear on the left then back to the rig a lot...

I put my lights at the front of my console because they get attached from the front, power cables, laptop bag etc... at the back because they get done from the back and the speakers plonked down either side before I get set it up - it means depending on what part of the rig I'm doing - all the gear I need is exactly where i need it to be and within arms reach. That cuts down a lot of time too.

EDIT:

You can kind of see my rig there - My movers now clamp directly onto the side uprights of the lite constole but that's pretty much it:

Dual HK Nano 600s
    Denon mc 6000
    line 6 wireless mic
    2 macbooks pros (both running vdj and my dmx)
    2 jelly domes
    2 adj inno pocket washes
    An adj mega bar

Apart from the lighting rig - ours doesn't appear entirely different (my lights probably take longer to set up than yours actually) and I can have all of that rigged, dmx'd, sound checked and myself changed into performing gear in under half an hour because of how I go about setting it up.
    Last edited by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ; 22-12-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Brilliant that'll work great then! I don't need the extra depth, a DDJSZ is 42cm deep and my S5 is a 32cm so I can bring the shelf 10cm closer in theory! Got a tonne of proper foam padding, a stanley knife and a hot glue gun at the ready so I'll hopefully have a lovely snug fitting super quick setup for playout if all works as I expect.
    You’ll be amazed at how much time having all the leads in the case saves, I have a wired mic and mouse in mine as well, and a bit of sticky back velcro stops the power supply moving around.

My pre-wired crossbars are colour coded. I bought a pack of different coloured electrical tape and wrapped them around the end of the IEC cables so that I know what light goes where.
    My playout system is housed in a road ready flightcase. Denon mixer and 2 x Denon controllers. Everything is plugged into 1 6 way extension cable inside the case and so 1 plug connects to the extension lead under the stand.
    Speaker stands - the IEC's for them and also the XLR's are gaffered to them. At the end of each gig I just disconnect from the mixer and unplug from the extension lead and all done.

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I am at at odds with this thread as I actually like setting up, giving myself plenty of time and doing it slowly and methodically. I rarely use the same rigg two gigs running and change the combination of speakers and lights, so premiering for me would be a no no.

Not to say I wouldn't appreciate being packed down and on my way home 10 mins after I finish!
    Not always possible when venue allows 30 minutes to strip and reset the room, lay a portable dancefloor, allow me access AND get fully set up and get a band in and fully set up too. That was last Wednesday and I managed to get done in around 45 minutes, the others were still struggling after just over an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Not always possible when venue allows 30 minutes to strip and reset the room, lay a portable dancefloor, allow me access AND get fully set up and get a band in and fully set up too. That was last Wednesday and I managed to get done in around 45 minutes, the others were still struggling after just over an hour.
    If you are mainly doing weddings a quick setup can be vital and gain you a lot of brownie points. Venues love it when they are running late, I get setup and we have 5/10 minutes to spare. A lot of venues also recommend me for all day services too as running late is not an option for me
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    If you are mainly doing weddings a quick setup can be vital and gain you a lot of brownie points. Venues love it when they are running late, I get setup and we have 5/10 minutes to spare. A lot of venues also recommend me for all day services too as running late is not an option for me
    I remember in a local venue a manager quipped 'you will never be set up before us', we took it upon ourselves to prove him wrong and did it in about 15 mins when they took over 30-35 mins. He was shocked as it also includes room wide LED uplighting and the local agent they usually uses takes at least 45 mins.

He has remembered us as he is a manager at a local venue now where we do Christmas parties, so it paid dividends to impress staff. I like the fact they are not used to it though as some delusional staff ask if you area ready 10 mins into the set up!! As much as I like to help a venue its not my fault if they are overrunning.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

The best tip i can give is to have the cables with whatever your using them for in the same bag/box.

For example i've knocked up some cables that have a UK plug running to a junction, which splits to two IEC's each about 2-3m and alongside the length of the two IEC ends is a DMX cable permanently meshed together & i keep it in the bag with whatever lights they for.
    So one of these goes in the case with the two Intimidator scans.

Scan goes on podium, plug goes to my main 6 gang, one IEC end up the podium and into one, the other to the other. Saves time and its color coded so i can see on my 6 gang extension if its on or off.

For Inside the podium also had knocked up some of the 20w LED RGB floodlights you can get on amazon. Similar to above UK plug to a Junction then one of these on each end about 3m away from junction. stored in a bag. pull out slide into podium. set to colour via remote. job done.

Podiums get left pre-made with the sock bunched up until light is on top and flood inside, pull down and tidy. 3 minute job max including mounting the light.

Kam Party bar with a wireless foot controller set up behind me, again the 5-10m cable is kept in with it so i just pull out tripod, mount the top and plug the cable in and run it to the 6 gang on my stand. 1 minute.

Cables for evox are kept in the bag between the poles in the (amazing) evox bags. and these take about 1.5 minute each to put together. including cabling.

Equinox Booth (Gorilla Version) out of bag, crossbars in and shelves on, Both Scrims hooked on top and bottom of one side (stops it being see through) then Playout (flight cased) on, and all plugged in, Only hook over scrims for booth when all is done. Custom made 6 gang also has hooks on so it hooks onto the inside of the booth and doesn't sit on the floor and is handy height.

Flightcase is controller and mixer with a shelf, has small wireless mic wired in as well. Laptop charger left in the box too all connected to a extension with a iec end so just plug iec into it to power the whole box.

1 evox bag inside the other, bag for party bar inside with any other bags. inside booth away from any cables. saves time getting them back out of the car when finished and punters cant tell.
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    The best tip i can give is to have the cables with whatever your using them for in the same bag/box.

For example i've knocked up some cables that have a UK plug running to a junction, which splits to two IEC's each about 2-3m and alongside the length of the two IEC ends is a DMX cable permanently meshed together & i keep it in the bag with whatever lights they for.
    So one of these goes in the case with the two Intimidator scans.
    Hmm interesting, I'm not sure if it'll save much time with my setup bt certainly worth thinking about. I went through all my cables yesterday and gave them different coloured tape which should help.

I've finished the flight case wiring etc, gave it a whirl on Saturday and had to ask for help carrying up stairs, got it back and weighed it... 38kg! Might not have been so bad but the handles are wide apart.
    Took my laptops out and popped them in their own flight case so it's down to 33kg which my lower back can confirm is an acceptable weight.

I've also bought some canvas bags for cables which I'm going to try and figure it out so each bag has a location and I can just dump the bags in the right place when I start setting up.

I'll pop a photo up of how I ended up with the flight case incase anybody wants to see it after my next wedding on Saturday.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post

I've finished the flight case wiring etc, gave it a whirl on Saturday and had to ask for help carrying up stairs, got it back and weighed it... 38kg! Might not have been so bad but the handles are wide apart..
    My controller + flightcase weighs less than 10kg, what have you put in yours?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    My controller + flightcase weighs less than 10kg, what have you put in yours?
    Traktor s5
    Alto mixer zmx862
    Sennheiser ew100 wireless mic receiver, wireless mic and 4 9v batteries.
    Shure pg58
    Numark orbit
    2 laptop chargers, 3 power supplies and a 6 way extension.
    Dmx dongle and dmx lead 2m
    5m xlr cable, 4x 1m xlr, 2x jack to rca cables, USB cables.

Laptops were 2.5kg each.

Pioneer ddj sz flightcase with laptop shelf (enough room for 2 laptops) weighs 22kg by itself.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD