Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice

Retro Discos. It's the future.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mbp View Post
    How do you guys get work nowadays, what with everyone "knowing someone who does disco's cheap".
    By not being cheap.

Be "reassuringly expensive"

Ahh...nice one..

What's the enquiries like for it??
    Could be a lot busier unfortunately.
    I've put all my SEO efforts into my main website this year (which obviously features retro stuff) and most of my bookings come in via there.

Next year's big ToDo is sorting out the retro site because it could do so much more.

Can anyone recommend a set of led par cans for back lighting?.....like the Power Partybar for example

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

Next year's big ToDo is sorting out the retro site because it could do so much more.
    Retro Discos? Hmmm. Nostalgia's not what it used to be.

Mod note: Peter, please be aware that unless the quality of the humour improves dramatically, you will be dealt with severely. Being demob happy is no excuse.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Will offer that option, I think.....thank you.

The only issue I could see is that our race night shows normally finish around 11.15/11.30pm from an 8.00/8.15pm start and the majority of the events are in community centres - so they have to be out by midnight at the latest.

It is a really good idea and might attract other race night customers who, in turn, might see the disco's potential.
    I got round this by offering either 6 or 8 races in a night - 6 with a disco, 8 without - which left time at the end.

In the grand scheme they don't lose much money having 6 and I can add a couple of quick games to recoup this. The feedback I get from 6 races is much better than 8, in general, as people enjoy the event much more. Some of my annual bookings are now twice a year too due to it being more of a fun night rather than purely fundraising.

With Race Nights too you have more opportunity to advertise - banners, flyers, business cards etc. Drop me a PM if you would like a few ideas.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    By not being cheap.

Be "reassuringly expensive"
    Not really good advice for anyone staring off in my opinion. Getting your name out will be more important first step then grow from that.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Not really good advice for anyone staring off in my opinion. Getting your name out will be more important first step then grow from that.
    Sort of agree in that you need to get your name out there, but don't get a reputation for being a cheap DJ as it takes a long time to shake off. You obviously need to charge a fee which is suitable to you and your circumstances to run the business without making a loss and hopefully some profit for your time.

I think pricing right seems to be the key in this area.

Researching a few local 'outfits' and what they are charging, varies from one extreme to the other...

Providing a unique selling product is paramount and, I hope, the retro theme will be such a product.

Looking into the vj side of things as well as that seems to be a market that's untapped (locally).....or is it something that people don't really get??

Dunno!

How I did it, having moved to a new area, was to go in cheap and rack the bookings up and display these bookings on my website. I then gradually increased my prices against a busy diary which all could see. As far as new customers were concerned, that had always been my price and I was busy at that rate.