Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Rechargeable Donner DMX dongles with built in battery

Default Rechargeable Donner DMX dongles with built in battery

Been searching all Chrimbo for these......no joy so far so turning to you good fellows for advice.

I don't want to continue wiring my own boards into lights. It's too much hassle and it affects potential resale value should I wish to move them on (plus the ariels are a pain in the bottom).

So - I've found Donner DMX dongles, and I've even found that they do a version which is rechargeable rather than plugging a transformer into them. From where I'm sitting, it's EXACTLY the solution I'm looking for as I can plug/unplug depending on which fixtures I'm taking out. It's a win-win.

The downside is....I can't find a UK/European distributor for them. I can only find them at the moment in the Far East, and that of course potentially will involve a customs bill when they arrive in Blighty after spending 6 months on a slow boat from China.

Anyone a) know of these and b) know where I can get them "locally" (without potentially having to go through a load of HMRC paperwork and expense)?

OK - looks like I can only get these from China unfortunately.

BUT - having never imported before.....how does it work with customs?

Their website says that I'm liable for any import duty (which I'll obviously get stung for). I might be a complete thickie here....how much is the duty likely to be (i.e. is it a % of the value of the goods...I'm assuming probably the VAT rate but may be wrong) and how is this paid?

Is it literally a case of paying at the local sorting office or is it a bit more complicated than that?

I recently imported some wireless quiz night buzzers from the States and duty was payable this end.

When it arrives in the country it is placed in Customs for them to check what it is and see what the value is.

On the import notice/invoice, the exporter has to say what the product is and its value.

Its a mine field when it comes to how much they charge you Duty.

The duty you pay depends on the value - they charge you a percentage.

In my case, Postman Prat popped a delivery note through the door saying that the parcel was at the local post office.
    They will not bring the item to your house unless you have paid the Duty first......but you cant pay it till you get the delivery note!!

I had to go the post office to collect - AFTER I paid the duty on line.

Its a minefield trying to work out the Duty.

On my £450 items I paid £60 Duty.

As far as I can work it out, the percentage does depend on the Category of the item and its total worth.
    There are different percentage rates for different categories.

PLUS, over a certain amount they charge you and additional percentage!!
    I would ask the exporter for a rough idea

This very helpful page I found still doesn't tell you how much you'd pay:

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty