Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Let the circle be unbroken.

Default Let the circle be unbroken.

We're always looking for the latest flashy light with lower size and weight, greater brightness, and more light output to revolutionise our shows.
    But how often do we take a step forward by taking a step back?

At my last two functions I've used a couple of LED battens over the bar, and an LED moonflower under the bar, one at each end. What did I put in the middle, as the big centrepiece effect? A heavy, clunky old Martin EFX 500. It drew favourable comments, too, job done.

A while ago, I had a pair which didn't see the light of day in ages, so I sold them. More recently a couple of them found their way here as part of a bulk purchase, and I'm finding occasions where one is the solution which covers the room just about everywhere. It won't go out every night, but it's reassuring to know it's there if I need one.

So, what old discarded piece of kit, particularly lighting effects, are you returning to the fray? Reinventing the wheel.
    Over to you.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I have used an ACME Mirage over Xmas that has been gathering dust for 18 months or so.

Forgotten how good it was!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

So, what old discarded piece of kit, particularly lighting effects, are you returning to the fray? Reinventing the wheel.
    Over to you.
    Having only been "back" for about 5 years now....none of my kit is ancient or old.

That said....a couple of years ago I rushed out and purchased a pair of Chauvet Swarm 5FX's. They laid dormant in my store until this Xmas and then came in very useful on the overhead bar of the Micron booth for a couple of smaller gigs (DMX controlled of course).

I've also had occasion recently to dig out and use both my Dualizer's (they're actually pretty good effects) and my ImpossiLED (again....dotty but serves it's purpose).

Also not been out for ages (but I have the chance to use again soon), my brace of GigBars. Not the brightest and shiniest of effects but in certain situations (as I believe Mr Neen proved on NYE), they just work.

For ages I've been using the standard overhead bar of the Ultimax with 8 effects on it.
    I decided at the beginning of the Christmas season that I would tone it all down a bit so I didn't attach the overheads at all. I was apprehensive as to what it would look like because the lack of lighting patterns & movement on the dance floor but I need not have worried too much.
    The uplighters behind the Equinox screen did their job. I also added a T-bar with 4 x Par56's on it which were set to sound to light and placed elsewhere in the venue and used 2 x X moves set to sound to light so they just swept around the place. It looked absolutely fine to me and there wasn't a single mention about any lack of light or it being too dark at all.

Whether I continue with it is another thing. I have a few weeks off now as I have got bookings covered so I may have a play about with some ideas and different T-Bar set ups but the X Moves will stay where they are as I like them.

The Equinox batterns come in very handy and I have 12 of them now. Whether they are used for Uplighting or set on one of the auto programs, they're pretty good (and cheap too!).

With reference to getting some of the old bits out again, well.... I bought the X Moves 2nd hand a few years back and hardly used them so they've come out of storage along with the Pars and the Dynamos still make the odd appearance here and there.

For the first time EVER, I completely empted my van of all equipment and I now have a lock up that is packed and it surprised me just how many lights I have in storage. I'll still keep it all though.