Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going round in circles .........

I just recently tried wordpress after hearing good comments and was pleased with it.

I can program websites also using .ASP and SQL server.
    I was thinking about doing a full blown website where you can order a disco and pay for it straight away.
    The website would give lots of options that you can add to your basket and then pay for it.
    Clearly you would also need to reserve a date as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    I just recently tried wordpress after hearing good comments and was pleased with it.

I can program websites also using .ASP and SQL server.
    I was thinking about doing a full blown website where you can order a disco and pay for it straight away.
    The website would give lots of options that you can add to your basket and then pay for it.
    Clearly you would also need to reserve a date as well.
    I thought about that, but didn't want to automate too much
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

All my websites I design are in WordPress. If I'd seen this earlier I would have offered my services.

Let me know if you need any help in the future with anything.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by discomobiledj View Post
    All my websites I design are in WordPress. If I'd seen this earlier I would have offered my services.

Let me know if you need any help in the future with anything.
    Cheers for the offer, once you get your head around it Wordpress is really simple and (so far) managed to maintain my google rankings.

Yoast is a great plugin for SEO. Make sure you keep everything up to date or you'll get hacked!
    Steve

For those with a Wordpress site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38930428

Update ASAP - Especially if you already updated recently (this security hole was introduced in an update from the end of 2016).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    For those with a Wordpress site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38930428

Update ASAP - Especially if you already updated recently (this security hole was introduced in an update from the end of 2016).
    Cheers for the warning Marc.

On a similar note - what to people use to backup their wordpress site, ideally looking to back it up to dropbox but there are loads of plugins etc which seem over complicated - not sure whether to just export the site to a dropbox folder ??

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    what to people use to backup their wordpress site

https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/...by-wp-academy/

It's a great plugin.

Not only is it easy to backup, but more importantly, easy to restore (and that's the bit people don't test until it's too late)!

You can get back up and running from a blank wordpress install within a couple of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/...by-wp-academy/

It's a great plugin.

Not only is it easy to backup, but more importantly, easy to restore (and that's the bit people don't test until it's too late)!

You can get back up and running from a blank wordpress install within a couple of minutes.
    Cheers - job for tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Cheers for the warning Marc.

On a similar note - what to people use to backup their wordpress site, ideally looking to back it up to dropbox but there are loads of plugins etc which seem over complicated - not sure whether to just export the site to a dropbox folder ??
    Rather than use a backup / restore that requires Wordpress to be installed...if you install Wordpress through Softaculous (a one click installer used on many hosting control panels) then you can take backups with that. They're one click to backup, one to restore, and you can also set scheduled backups with how many to keep at any one time. If you don't know what Softaculous is, though, you probably didn't install WP using it.

Even if you didn't install via Softaculous, if your host uses it you can import the Wordpress instance into it and start backing up from there.

For disaster recovery, most hosts will keep a daily / weekly / monthly backup so you can restore from these in a worst case scenario - but don't depend on them, and many hosts don't offer this.