Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venue with no Amplified Music Licence - What are the issues

Default Venue with no Amplified Music Licence - What are the issues

Hi

I have just been asked to DJ at a venue that have recently lost it's Amplified Music Licence.
    They had one... but the venue is a greenhouse and so neighbours complained and they lost it.

The venue have now told me to play in a shed next to the glasshouse.
    Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/leeliv...57677832609662

They tell me that they are going to make it sound-proof... but it will still remain open!! So that isn't going to work.

If the neighbours call the police what are the issues?

Can they take away my gear?

Many thanks

Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

It's more likely that following complaints about the noise, that the council may have put restrictions on them if the noise was causing a nuisance.

So it's good they are looking to find a way around this, by sound proofing another building, which if done correctly, means they will fulfil their restriction.

Worst case scenario, should the noise still be unacceptable to local neighbours, the neighbours would have to get the council involved.

Should it be that they have lost their amplified music license, it's worth noting you don't need a license if you can fulfil the following criteria:

it takes place between 8AM and 11PM; and
    it takes place at an alcohol on-licensed premises; and
    the audience is no more than 500 people

So provided it's an 11pm finish, then all is fine.

As to legalities, sorry I have no idea at all.
    Re your little garden shed, it looks quite splendid. The noise issue may still remain though, because as you say, the door will be open. If they were to come up with something like sound deadening curtains ( I have no idea if such a thing exists ) they might be so successful that nobody knew you were there.

If they leave the doors open, I suspect you'll still have to keep the volume down, unless that projects the sound in a " harmless " direction, ie not towards complainants. I'm sorry I can't offer much help.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    It's more likely that following complaints about the noise, that the council may have put restrictions on them if the noise was causing a nuisance.

So it's good they are looking to find a way around this, by sound proofing another building, which if done correctly, means they will fulfil their restriction.

Worst case scenario, should the noise still be unacceptable to local neighbours, the neighbours would have to get the council involved.

Should it be that they have lost their amplified music license, it's worth noting you don't need a license if you can fulfil the following criteria:

Thank you. That is just the information I needed.
    All the best, Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Great another venue that has not taken precautions to stop noise pollution. Had they insulated the shed and got decent suppliers in from the start that realise the problems, they would not be in this situation. I used to try and help venues when they are going to run into these issues, but it always falls on deaf ears. To completely ignore the fact that they do not licence means that they may not be insured and can run into small sorts of trouble. I guess they have to honour the clients who have already booked? Had they fitted a limiter at a reasonable level or even a sound ceiling, then they would still have their licence.

From my free party days Police with a noise inspector can theoretically legally confiscate your kit (but this would probably only happen if your trespassing). In theory, Police will ask you to turn it off, and go after the venue with a court hearing/fine if this is a constant thing. I would get a written agreement from the venue that they sign so you have something to show anyone if they turn up or ask you to get involved if things turn legal (also something to show if your called as a witness or defence). Although perhaps that may show that you knew about the problems, so playing dumb may be a better option?? 'Oh sorry the venue and client said it was fine, i knew nothing about the issues your honour'

If you can be bothered to read through it, this is the noise act thing that has enabled such tight controls in the UK (i.e. all these limiters), thanks to thr pill popping rave scene in the 90's. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/43/schedule/3
    Last edited by yourdj; 06-02-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    it's worth noting you don't need a license if you can fulfil the following criteria:

Thats handy ^ 11pm is not a bad finish time tbh.
    You can then perhaps do an hour of chilled background 11-12
    Perhaps get each guest who is staying to the end to suggest one track.
    Groove armada 'my friend' type stuff.

Well worth getting a decent monitor and keeping it at 95-98db.
    Limit the bass also, just so that it wont upset anyone. Start the night like that as its only a small space.
    No one will notice opposed to someone coming in at ten saying 'Oi turn this down'.
    And as said, talk the venue into sound proofing it a bit and point the speakers away from the neighbours.

I assume they have an entertainment licence etc. Is it just the music licence then?
    Last edited by yourdj; 06-02-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Great another venue that has not taken precautions to stop noise pollution. Had they insulated the shed and got decent suppliers in from the start that realise the problems, they would not be in this situation.
    Not sure you read the original post correctly, Toby. The original performance area was the greenhouse, as I understand it. After noise issues, the shed became the performance area, and is likely to be heavily insulated.

I could be wrong, I'm sure Lee will give us chapter and verse.

Does not look very insulated you can see the joists on the roof.

Sorry I thought they lost the licence and put the entertainment in there as its a safer bet to ward off complaints.
    Plus being in a she they can hid the lighting or the fact they are having a party.

I had this a few years ago, I spoke to the relevant department at the council who informed me that if I am an invited guest and not being paid for my services there isn't a lot they can do as it is a private function. So our way around it was for the client to formally cancel me (letter with accompanying cancellation fee) and separately send me an invite to the party as a proper guest. As I say this was a few years ago so things may have changed

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Does not look very insulated you can see the joists on the roof.
    Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post

The venue have now told me to play in a shed next to the glasshouse.
    They tell me that they are going to make it sound-proof... but it will still remain open!! So that isn't going to work.
    " Going to" is future tense, Toby." Have done " is past tense.