Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is 57cm not 57cm but actually 61cm? .... When Magma are involved it is!

Default When is 57cm not 57cm but actually 61cm? .... When Magma are involved it is!

For the past few weeks I've been trying to lay my hands on a flightcase with laptop shelf for my mc6000. I measured my booth, found one supplier with a case claiming to fit the gap so I ordered one. 2 days later a box arrived. Hmmm, it was very light for any kind of flightcase - because the box contained A BAG! So that went back & the supplier eventually sent me a case. Ah but the case was missing some parts like the laptop shelf & removable front cover! No problem, the supplier said - we'll just get the manufacturer to send you the missing parts direct. Great I thought, but let me just check the case fits on my booth. Oh no. It didn't have the dimensions of the case I'd ordered. Bums. So I decided to get a refund & go to a different supplier.

That done I placed an order with my least favourite (German) supplier - well they had stock & a friend had a voucher for 25 Euro off so what's not to like? The fateful day arrived & I checked out the case. My tape measure revealed the awful truth. The top of the case across the extrusions was 59cm! How on EARTH has this happened AGAIN?

Now in between all this people are suggesting I go to Swan Flight for my case (I would but I don't want to pay £200 or have a case that weighs twice as much as the controller), or that I just get a transport case & continue to use my laptop stand - because - laptop shelf cases are DUMB! (A shop staff member said that - I won't be using that shop ever again despite them being local!). Anyway I tried the case I received in a practical setup & I really liked it.

Looking around I've seen cases advertised which claim they have certain dimensions but how can I rely on that? In the meantime I've sent both suppliers pictures of the offending case measurements (tape against the case) AND emailed the case maker asking what on Earth is going on. I'm sick as a chip.

A friend of mine got the same case a while ago & he says his is exactly the same but that's fine for him - he doesn't use a Micron booth. This just isn't good enough. If you say your case is 57cm x 45cm x 20cm it should blinking well BE that, as should the product your customers receive.

Anyway, I'm sending the latest case back for a refund - which is all very well but I'm still without a nice case for my controller. Stay tuned for the next thrilling update to the saga...

It's times like this when I think it'd be easier to make the flipping case myself. No excuses for that error though, it's probably the same case and the specs have just been handed out to the retailers who have trusted the manufacturer. How irritating though!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I actually costed making my own case & by the time I bought wood, coverings & hardware it'd run to almost 60 quid. Add 3 or 4 hours labour to that & it was more than worth it to spend under 150 on something ready made. Ha!

What i find most annoying is the fact that the case comes with extra foam bits for a different controller. The mc6000 foam adds 3cm each side as it is so it's obviously not a specific case.

Fair enough. I've had to make a few things because I couldn't find a suitable product. Not yet made a flightcase though.

The joys of having our own unique setup with weird and wonderful combinations.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    What i find most annoying is the fact that the case comes with extra foam bits for a different controller. The mc6000 foam adds 3cm each side as it is so it's obviously not a specific case.
    You’ve hit the nail on the head, it’s a one size fits all with a bit of foam, far cheaper than producing separate cases for every controller.

Ahaaaa.....I have one that fits

I may be wrong, but believe I saw you on the book of faeces the other day saying you wanted this to fit on a Micron booth?

Linky is what I've got - and it fits (just) with the overhead kit in place as well

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    You’ve hit the nail on the head, it’s a one size fits all with a bit of foam, far cheaper than producing separate cases for every controller.
    No. The really annoying thing is that it's not the ONE SIZE they say it is. If they said it is what it is I'd never have even ordered the darn thing

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Ahaaaa.....I have one that fits

I may be wrong, but believe I saw you on the book of faeces the other day saying you wanted this to fit on a Micron booth?

Linky is what I've got - and it fits (just) with the overhead kit in place as well
    Yeah I've got one lined up - somebody on the book of faces selling one & willing to go halfies on the courier charge. And I will once I get my Euros back.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 26-02-2017 at 08:11 AM. Reason: merged posts

I take it that if you bought the rack ears for the MC6000 and mounted it in a standard 19" rack case with a laptop shelf, it'd be even wider?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I take it that if you bought the rack ears for the MC6000 and mounted it in a standard 19" rack case with a laptop shelf, it'd be even wider?

Julian
    Actually no. I looked at doing it that way but I'd like to keep the weight down. Those 19" cases are just over 19" wide funnily enough. The non-rackmount cases tend to have a lot of foam padding.

I love my Magma case for my Vestax VCI 300, it fits perfectly and I think was a bespoke case. Lasted 8 years now and only cost £100.
    Annoying if the measurements are not correct though.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/