Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker advice (yet again)

Default Speaker advice (yet again)

I'm still in the process of refining my set-up and am back on the lookout for yet another pair of speakers. I've just sold the Denon Axis 12" tops and want to replace them with a pair of decent 8"s or 10"s. (Just for the record... I wasn't unhappy with the Denons but size and weight-wise they didn't offer anything different to my Yamaha DBR12s, which I preferred, so weren't getting used enough to warrant keeping them.)

I'm now looking for something smaller and lighter that I can use with the surprisingly effective 10" subs that came the dB Technologies ES-602s I bought last year, when I need a bit more oomph than the ES-602 tops can provide. Ideally I would have liked a pair of Yamaha DXR8s but my budget will only stretch to a maximum of £700 so I'm looking for a good alternative.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anywhere locally where I can listen to the speakers on my shortlist so I thought I would try to get some knowledgeable input on here. When I'm weighing up my options should I be comparing manufacturers specifications, or is that just misleading? If It is worth comparing specs, which is most informative: The maximum SPL? RMS Wattage? Frequency range?

The speakers I have narrowed it down to along with best prices are:

DB Technologies Opera 10 - £642
    JBL Eon 610 - £557
    Turbosound Milan 10 - £565
    Yamaha DBR10 - £700
    HK Audio Premium Pro 8 (second hand) £600
    RCF Art 708A - £656
    FBT J8A - £560

From this list, the Yamahas would be a safe bet but are the most expensive and I've heard good things about the Operas, but does anyone who has experience with any of these speakers have any advice on which would be worth going for or steering well clear of? Is there something missing from the list that I should consider?

As always, any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be gratefully received.

My first question is: What do you currently possess?
    Second question: What do you want to use them for?

Observations:
    What is it with people buying " stick " systems, and then deciding they can stick someone else's cabs with them to sound better? It's not the first time this idea has come up.

Some of the newer stick rigs are capable of a lot of noise. My Maui 5s are currently doing 95% of my gigs with ease. ( And 3% being pushed hard. ) Coalville proved that. A certain North West dealer might just have for sale the more powerful rig he replaced my Mauis with.

I'm currently coveting the Maui 11, not for extra power, but for the one connection the 5 is missing. If I went as far as a 28, I'd probably have to lose my 12" LD tops. Food for thought though.

You can now get stick rigs which for all the world look like conventional subs and tops, cos they've " just growed* " ( Literary reference there, I'll educate you lot if it's the last thing I do. ) Really, some of them are stretching the concept past its boundaries.

I'm wondering if you could find an " off the peg " stick rig with the power and portability you need, and be able to lose some existing cabs.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    I'm still in the process of refining my set-up and am back on the lookout for yet another pair of speakers. I've just sold the Denon Axis 12" tops and want to replace them with a pair of decent 8"s or 10"s. (Just for the record... I wasn't unhappy with the Denons but size and weight-wise they didn't offer anything different to my Yamaha DBR12s, which I preferred, so weren't getting used enough to warrant keeping them.)

I'm now looking for something smaller and lighter that I can use with the surprisingly effective 10" subs that came the dB Technologies ES-602s I bought last year, when I need a bit more oomph than the ES-602 tops can provide. Ideally I would have liked a pair of Yamaha DXR8s but my budget will only stretch to a maximum of £700 so I'm looking for a good alternative.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anywhere locally where I can listen to the speakers on my shortlist so I thought I would try to get some knowledgeable input on here. When I'm weighing up my options should I be comparing manufacturers specifications, or is that just misleading? If It is worth comparing specs, which is most informative: The maximum SPL? RMS Wattage? Frequency range?

The speakers I have narrowed it down to along with best prices are:

DB Technologies Opera 10 - £642
    JBL Eon 610 - £557
    Turbosound Milan 10 - £565
    Yamaha DBR10 - £700
    HK Audio Premium Pro 8 (second hand) £600
    RCF Art 708A - £656
    FBT J8A - £560

From this list, the Yamahas would be a safe bet but are the most expensive and I've heard good things about the Operas, but does anyone who has experience with any of these speakers have any advice on which would be worth going for or steering well clear of? Is there something missing from the list that I should consider?

As always, any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be gratefully received.
    Missing the best 10 is QSC K10 thats why they never come up s/h.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    The same can be said for the high spec Yamahas. I suspect that even s/h they'd still be over budget, assuming you found the blighters. .
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    My first question is: What do you currently possess?
    Second question: What do you want to use them for?
    I currently own 2 x Yamaha DBR12, 2 x DB Technologies ES-602, 2 x Denon Axis 12S subwooofers.

I want the 8"s/10"s so I can use different combinations to cover the bases for gigs of all sizes and still have options for a competent second rig for when my step-son comes back from America and wants to do some work for me.

The plan is to use:

The 8"s/10"s on their own for the smallest gigs, house parties or for background music
    The ES602s on their own for small gigs
    The ES602 subs with 8"s/10"s for gigs which call for a bit more oomph
    The Yamaha DBR12s on their own or above the ES602 subs
    The Yamaha DBR12s above the Denon subs for the larger gigs/ marquee weddings I occasionally do

I could look to swap the ES602s for something more powerful but I'm generally happy with them and I would still want to be sure to have the necessary options at my disposal when I have two gigs on the same night.

I'm aware of the QSC K10 but like the Yamaha DXR 8 it's outside of my budget and, like you said, they rarely show up second-hand.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 05-03-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: merged posts

I have a pair of RCF 708 mk11 which I use for small gigs with one 12" sub.

Very, very competent speakers and very respectfully loud and distortion free.

However, my main tops are HD12as and compared to them they lack a little definition and sparkle but cost under half the price!

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I have a pair of RCF 708 mk11 which I use for small gigs with one 12" sub.

Very, very competent speakers and very respectfully loud and distortion free.
    The 708s are a serious consideration because of their size and weight. I'm a little put off by their lack of a second input though and I tend to prefer the cleaner look that the complete front grills offer on the other speakers. Having said that I would say aesthetics is definite lower down the list than both performance and portability.

They are hard to find second hand - probably the best 8 inch option also.

I would go for the DBR10. I asked Yamaha about doing a DBR8 and apparently computer says no as its not economically feasible. As Peter said. line array 'stick' systems are very good. This week I went to a set of Thomann speakers and they are so much better than my RCF 310 and disperse the sound much better despite the SPL being lower and using smaller drivers.

Name:  IMG_0218.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  43.4 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

They are hard to find second hand - probably the best 8 inch option also.

I would go for the DBR10. I asked Yamaha about doing a DBR8 and apparently computer says no as its not economically feasible. As Peter said. line array 'stick' systems are very good. This week I went to a set of Thomann speakers and they are so much better than my RCF 310 and disperse the sound much better despite the SPL being lower and using smaller drivers.

Name:  IMG_0218.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  43.4 KB

The ES-602s are line array systems and were great value at £560 for a pair. They only have 4 3" tweeters on each speaker though so probably not quite as effective as the Box Pro 804s you've got.

A DBR8 would have been ideal but I'm still swaying towards the DBR10 as my probable first choice at the moment.

After careful deliberation and advice from a few knowledgeable people I've ordered a pair of DB Technologies Opera 10s from Andy (Deltic). I should hopefully receive them tomorrow and will be back on here to report my first impressions as soon as I've had the chance to test them out. Hopefully they will be as good as people have said they are!