Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker advice (yet again)

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

They are hard to find second hand - probably the best 8 inch option also.

I would go for the DBR10. I asked Yamaha about doing a DBR8 and apparently computer says no as its not economically feasible. As Peter said. line array 'stick' systems are very good. This week I went to a set of Thomann speakers and they are so much better than my RCF 310 and disperse the sound much better despite the SPL being lower and using smaller drivers.

Attachment 18279
    Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!!

Toby....could you not have moved your setup just a couple of feet to the left????!!!!
    My OCD is working on overtime after seeing that shot

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!!

Toby....could you not have moved your setup just a couple of feet to the left????!!!!
    So is my pedantry. Toby would have had to move to the right!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    So is my pedantry. Toby would have had to move to the right!
    touché

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!!

Yes, i feel the same - unfortunately its not a table or booth behind there, so not a simple option, my sub sits between a box of electrics and a Yamaha, so the only option would be to move the decks slightly off the sub or the laptop off centre. I will have a fiddle about on Saturday if that will help maters

Name:  DECKS-2016.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  52.7 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    The ES-602s are line array systems
    That looks good, although if i got that I would always wish I had bought the Evox as its a clear copy of that. as you have said (I have not experienced them) but i cant see how such small drivers can create a suitable volume or as you say it Ompph. It seems to be the way sound systems are going, so i am glad to streamline my set up, especially as I have doubled my money. (smug git smiley).

Name:  dbtechnologies_es602_pa_system_pair.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  14.9 KB

That looks good, although if i got that I would always wish I had bought the Evox as its a clear copy of that. as you have said (I have not experienced them) but i cant see how such small drivers can create a suitable volume or as you say it Ompph. It seems to be the way sound systems are going.
    They're not quite changing the laws of Physics, Toby. Look at what we'll call a " Normal " speaker. Twelve inch bass driver, with a small high frequency driver bolted to a horn flare.

Basically, the stick rigs separate the two. Bass driver on the floor, which is where it performs best anyway, and multiple high frequency drivers airborne for maximum dispersion. Since it's textbook deployment of the drivers, it can seem at least as loud as a roughly equivalent normal box on a tripod.

How loud it goes is still simply down to how much air you move with the sub ( which is often a twelve inch animal anyway, so stretching the term " compact " to breaking point, in my opinion ) and how many HF units you have, coupled with how powerful you make the amps driving them.

PS. In my very humble opinion, there's not a great deal to choose between any of the stick rigs. As long as the one you have is big enough for the job, it doesn't make a lot of difference what the badge is.

Back to Allan's choice of Db Opera cabs, the whole Opera range I heard at Coalville really, really impressed me. I'm sure he'll be very happy with them, good choice.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 07-03-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I cant see how such small drivers can create a suitable volume or as you say it Ompph. It seems to be the way sound systems are going, so I am glad to streamline my set up
    I used to think the same until I actually bought a LD Maui 28 Mix for 'house parties' where a small footprint is more important than a high output. I was amazed to find it was more than capable of rocking the place, the column actually contains 16 x 3" mid highs plus a 1" tweeter and the base unit contains 2 x 8" bass reflex drivers which can produce a peak SPL of 115 dB (manufactures figures) which IMO, is remarkable for such a small compact unit. If you need it louder, a second compact sub could be used, having said that, I'm not a believer that there's a universal PA that is suitable for 'all' the gigs a successful mobile DJ is likely to be offered. I certainly wouldn't send the Maui 28 out to a 18th / 21st with 150 guests expected, I've got far more suitable kit for those occasions. The only downside I can see with this type of PA is the need to place it around a meter or so back from the guests if possible otherwise they'll hear too much treble and not enough bass at head level. From your viewpoint I would thing something like this would be useful for the smaller weddings or a additional PA for a second room at the larger weddings.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    The only downside I can see with this type of PA is the need to place it around a meter or so back from the guests if possible otherwise they'll hear too much treble and not enough bass at head level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    They're not quite changing the laws of Physics, Toby. Look at what we'll call a " Normal " speaker. Twelve inch bass driver, with a small high frequency driver bolted to a horn flare.
    Good point although to be fair its a bass driver only and the tweeters are miles away from the sub (they are next to each other or dual concentric in my tannoys), so theoretically with a packed floor some of the guests may only hear the high end - but i have heard a few of these systems and they are good. For weddings they are ideal.

Good point although to be fair its a bass driver only and the tweeters are miles away from the sub (they are next to each other or dual concentric in my tannoys), so theoretically with a packed floor some of the guests may only hear the high end - but i have heard a few of these systems and they are good. For weddings they are ideal.
    No, bass will travel "through" people unlike top end. Which is why they've been developed that way.

It's a smaller version of the system at a rock concert - where all the top end comes from the array of speakers hanging either side of the stage, and all the bass comes from the subs on the ground.

That looks good, although if i got that I would always wish I had bought the Evox as its a clear copy of that. as you have said (I have not experienced them) but i cant see how such small drivers can create a suitable volume or as you say it Ompph. It seems to be the way sound systems are going, so i am glad to streamline my set up, especially as I have doubled my money. (smug git smiley).

Name:  dbtechnologies_es602_pa_system_pair.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  14.9 KB
    I've got the EX602s & Evox8s although the 602s are good for the money the Evox8s are in a different league far superior.