Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: using a projector as a light show

Default using a projector as a light show

This is a follow up to the thread "laser recommendations". (http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ecommendations)
    the idea of using a projector with the music beam software seems like an excellent idea.
    so what does it take.
    Projector recommendations please., I presume LED will suffice , what about THIS ONE
    I have already downloaded the music beam software

Cheers

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Hmmm...reading the spec it's a 70w LED, which in fixture terms is rather bright.
    Does this translate to projectors though?

If so.....might be a good buy - could even pay for itself after a couple of weddings by doing my own projected gobos rather than buying them in

Justin? Any idea?

A decent projector for gobos would cost more than that one as you will need some decent brightness and HD quality or it will look naff, but it may be bright enough for a light show - doubt it mind you? Optoma are good I have this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPTOMA-EH-...YAAOSwo4pYZ~mN

It was regarded as the best one for projection and cake mapping at the time, despite not having horizontal keystone. The onboard USB and graphics management is also very naff, so you will need a media player. Music beam looks great although there are issues with the mac download, but i am on the case as there is a fix with downloading random Apps. i will have a look at all this when i get the time.

Last edited by yourdj; 14-03-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Hi Toby
    Agreed........but being as my target audience is usually between 40 and 70 people , I cannot warrant spending that much on a projector , I think my entire disco was less than £2500 (but it does hold its own , and I have had positive comments)

Cheers

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    A decent projector for gobos would cost more than that one as you will need some decent brightness and HD quality or it will look naff, but it may be bright enough for a light show - doubt it mind you? Optoma are good I have this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPTOMA-EH-...YAAOSwo4pYZ~mN

It was regarded as the best one for projection and cake mapping at the time, despite not having horizontal keystone. The onboard USB and graphics management is also very naff, so you will need a media player. Music beam looks great although there are issues with the mac download, but i am on the case as there is a fix with downloading random Apps. i will have a look at all this when i get the time.

Got to agree with Toby, any weaker projectors just won't show up on certain coloured surfaces - one of the worst being wooden parquet floors.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I've used the projector trick a number of times but mainly when there is plenty of room or if I am on a stage. I got into the habit of putting the projectors in the van as they can come in handy. I have 2 of them and can link them together. Neither of them are stupidly powerful but they do a cracking job.
    The iPad and iPhone VGA splitters were quite pricey but worth the money.
    I tried quite a few apps and ended up with a free app called Audiogasm. It may not be everybody's cup of tea but the patterns look pretty good when projected and on the couple of occasions where I have been allowed to use smoke or haze, the colours have looked decent enough.

However, I would like to try something else. I've had a look at the Music Beam software and I have also read the reviews and there are a lot of negative comments regarding it. I downloaded it on to a couple of laptops and the old "Install Java" message came up. Useless really on the laptops I use for VDJ and Projection as I have stripped them right down.