Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Limiters

Default Sound Limiters

Love them or hate them, they seem to be popping up in a lot more venues - mainly due to wedding venues nor really being suitable in my opinion.

However, does a venue have any obligation to inform people booking about the limiter and any restrictions in place. Obviously morally I would like to think they do, however this does not seem to be the case. Just wondering if there is anything legally, or information about it, to suggest that people need to be made aware of restrictions ?
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I find that customers are rarely aware that a limiter is fitted. I make sure I tell them if I know about it. Some are a problem, some aren't.
    Venues don't really want to promote that part of their "services"!

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    I find that customers are rarely aware that a limiter is fitted. I make sure I tell them if I know about it. Some are a problem, some aren't.
    Same here. I'll ALWAYS make the client aware of such things if I know about them before they even book me.
    The last thing I want is hassle on the night because I can't go as loud as they'd like.

I've got an overly sensitive one this coming Saturday unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    I do the same, but I think a lot don't really heed the warning and really should not be up to us to be the informant. It may be detrimental if we inform customers, whereas our hands are tied. I really think a venue should take responsibility after all it is part of their offering
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I am a recommended supplier at a marque wedding venue that has had noise issues in the past.

As such restrictions were put in place including a sound limiter and local authority restrictions which said that all speakers must be placed no the floor (no speaker stands or poles).

Over the last 3 years we have worked to restrictions and the venue has had no complaints for 3 years and has had the need for a sound limiter removed from its licence but not the speaker stand restriction! Maybe in another 3 years eh!

The venue have been very honest with prospective clients and they are all aware of the situation. The venue does prefer that they use one of the recommended suppliers as we know and adhere to the rules. If they use their own DJ, they have to sign to say they are aware of and will stick to the restrictions.

This has shown though that things can improve with everyone's co-operation.

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I am a recommended supplier at a marque wedding venue that has had noise issues in the past.

As such restrictions were put in place including a sound limiter and local authority restrictions which said that all speakers must be placed no the floor (no speaker stands or poles).

Over the last 3 years we have worked to restrictions and the venue has had no complaints for 3 years and has had the need for a sound limiter removed from its licence but not the speaker stand restriction! Maybe in another 3 years eh!

The venue have been very honest with prospective clients and they are all aware of the situation. The venue does prefer that they use one of the recommended suppliers as we know and adhere to the rules. If they use their own DJ, they have to sign to say they are aware of and will stick to the restrictions.

This has shown though that things can improve with everyone's co-operation.
    Very sensible policy. If only all venues were so upfront.

I had one on Saturday. When asked where I should set up, the Landlord replied " This corner here. Not the other corner, because the plugs over there are connected to the Noise pollution measures", ie a Formula Sound Sentry.

He asked us to lower the volume at 11pm, folk weren't supposed to sit outside after 9.30pm, and he was having kittens in case we said we intended to play past midnight.

Incidentally, we watched the limiter all night, and as far as I could see we flashed one red light once for a fraction of a second, so it looked workable enough.

As to venues telling clients there's a limiter, I'll maintain a dignified
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I seem to be on a run of good 'un's at the moment

So last night, village hall and rescheduled from last year. I don't normally do too many village hall weddings because they rarely work for me for some reason. I sort of went into last night half hearted and not expecting too much.

Turns out I was wrong.

Lovely hall, easy access (makes a nice change), one of those magical Emcee fella's running the day who's actually on the same course as me so a bit of a catch up there whilst setting up. And then into action.

I had a very small request list and couldn't really fathom where the night was going. Started off nice and up-beat and quickly descended into a cheezy-weezy kind of night for a while. The dance floor's full.....I'm going to keep mining until they tire

Eventually ended up going through all the standards and as is becoming the norm, a lot of indie stuff. Down to just a dozen guests by the end of the night and got a round of applause for my efforts. A couple of guests were tasked with locking up the hall after I left and were generous enough to lug the kit out to the van for me (having first determined that they were sober enough to assist).

Another definite win for me.

The next two however could well be appearing in the members version of this thread. The venue for the next two weeks appeared in a mahusive thread on MDJN last night having had an overly sensitive limiter fitted. The chap who was there last night is so concerned about it (it knocked him out 7 times during the evening and at very minimal volumes) that he actually called me this morning to let me know how bad it is. Seem's the Maui5 Go's and a UPS will be the order of the day for the next couple then.
    .................................................. ........................................

Where there is a noise limiting device, some with traffic lights, some without, I have run a long 13 Amp extension lead from a non controlled socket in a corridor or other room than the "stage socket that is controlled by the sound limiter. This then removes the blikin' awful nuisance tripping mid show.

Zog.

Default Resurrecting an old thread in light of recent posts.

Wayne remarked that he has two upcoming gigs with a vicious sound limiter that someone else has personally warned him about. An unconnected post came up at the same time on Fb about the blasted things ruining your kit, and I got a rollocking for saying that I had battery powered PA and playout. I couldn't last a whole night without power, but there isn't an interruption when the socket dies for ten seconds, and my kit stays safe.

Someone gave me both barrels, saying that was a great way to close down venues, and bite the hand that feeds me. In the way of Fb, I haven't seen the time honoured suggestion of " find a socket that's not on the limiter " yet, but I'm sure one will appear, possibly already has.

Mod note: Would you look at that! How unexpected for that to happen.

Right boys and girls, we know the bypassing of limiters with a " clean " socket is just plain wrong, but what about us battery powered chaps? Right or wrong? Floor is yours. We know that the subject of noise and licences is a big thing nowadays. I could tell a story or two.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 01-10-2023 at 12:41 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Right boys and girls, we know the bypassing of limiters with a " clean " socket is just plain wrong, but what about us battery powered chaps? Right or wrong? Floor is yours. We know that the subject of noise and licences is a big thing nowadays. I could tell a story or two.
    Bypassing a limited with a clean socket is not wrong if you were to plug say a lamp into the limiter sockets, and use that as your warning, therefore keeping within the sound limits set.

Same with the battery speaker - I'm assuming some of your kit still switches off, such as your lights, so as long as that means your immediately bringing your volume down to be in line with the limits set by the limiter then I see no issue.

If you are using the battery equipment to blatantly ignore the limiter and produce a volume in excess of what is permitted (which of course is not what you would do), well that is where the issue occurs.